Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Upp and VisualStudio (Howto open Upp project in Visual Studio)
Upp and VisualStudio [message #55439] Tue, 10 November 2020 21:56 Go to next message
peterh is currently offline  peterh
Experienced Member
Hi,

There is a plugin for Visual Studio to import a *.pdb file as project here: https:// marketplace.visualstudio.com/search?term=pdbproject&targ et=VS&category=Tools&vsVersion=&subCategory=All& amp;sortBy=Relevance

After installing it permits to open a *.pdb file as a project and generates a *.vcxproj.
It works for me so far, I dont intend to build in Visual Studio, only browse, possibly edit or debug.

So far I found, the pdb file must be generated by the matching Microsoft compiler version, clang didnt work.

Have fun!

Peter
Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55441 is a reply to message #55439] Wed, 11 November 2020 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
peterh wrote on Tue, 10 November 2020 21:56
Hi,

There is a plugin for Visual Studio to import a *.pdb file as project here: https:// marketplace.visualstudio.com/search?term=pdbproject&targ et=VS&category=Tools&vsVersion=&subCategory=All& amp; amp;sortBy=Relevance

After installing it permits to open a *.pdb file as a project and generates a *.vcxproj.
It works for me so far, I dont intend to build in Visual Studio, only browse, possibly edit or debug.

So far I found, the pdb file must be generated by the matching Microsoft compiler version, clang didnt work.

Have fun!

Peter

You can actually use Alt+F5 to launch Visual Studio as debugger from theide....
Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55442 is a reply to message #55441] Wed, 11 November 2020 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thank you, good to know,
For some unknown reason however, it doesnt work here:
Unable to launch "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" C:\upp\out\examples\MSVS17x64.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui\HelloWorld.exe
Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55443 is a reply to message #55442] Wed, 11 November 2020 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
peterh wrote on Wed, 11 November 2020 08:11
Thank you, good to know,
For some unknown reason however, it doesnt work here:
Unable to launch "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\vc\tools\msvc\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" C:\upp\out\examples\MSVS17x64.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui\HelloWorld.exe

Check the path to devenv....

The path is defined in the build method, so you can change it there. It is preset by automated setup but I guess nobody bothered to checking so far. Maybe you do have paid VS (not community)?

Mirek
Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55444 is a reply to message #55443] Wed, 11 November 2020 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thank you.
I have community. (I am just a selftaught hobbyist with semiprofessional programming experience Confused)
The path here is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE

If I entry this to the executable path in build methods, it still doesnt work, it accesses the path that I gave above in my first posting.
However compiling and debugging with microsoft tools inside TheIDE works, I wonder how it finds the path.
edit:
If I delete the path in build methods, this doesnt change anything. Seemingly it has no effect.
If I use "automatic build method setup", same result.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 November 2020 09:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55448 is a reply to message #55444] Wed, 11 November 2020 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
If I type "devenv /debugexe hello.exe" from a console, then a new instance of devenv is invoked.
I dont know how TheIDE does it, if it opens a new instance of visual studio I would anyway not use it.

First I start Visual Studio (devenv.exe) and import the pdb file. So I have all symbols and sources loaded before I debug.
My program starts like this:
GUI_APP_MAIN
{   
	for(;!IsDebuggerPresent();) Sleep(10); // Wait for debugger to attach
        DebugBreak();                          // Stop at next line

SetLanguage(LNG_ENGLISH);              // <- Program is here after Debugger was attached
	HelloWorld().Run();
}

Then I start hello.exe and choose "debug" in taskmanager to attach it to the debugger.
This said, in most cases I use TheIDE standalone.
I intend to use VS only to view inheritance trees, search references to procedures , find implementation of operators, refactoring and more stuff what it can do or can do faster.
Mainly to analyze and understand unknown programs, not so much for selfwritten stuff.
For debugging it has an advantage, it can start and stop threads, in some rare cases this might help.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 November 2020 17:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp and VisualStudio [message #55449 is a reply to message #55448] Wed, 11 November 2020 19:39 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Another thing you can do with PDB files is to analyze how much memory is wasted by inefficient alignment of data in a data structure.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: My little project
Next Topic: What Q means in QTF shortcut?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:04:17 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01850 seconds