Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development
Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55460] Fri, 13 November 2020 10:27 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
AFAIK, the main reason why Upp is still using SVN is a problem with fine-grained write permissions for developers. Basically, majority of developers should have write access rights only to "bazaar". Majority of git-servers doesn't allow to do that.

Fortunately, there is one git-server, which allows that. It is called gitolite.

With gitolite you can set pretty much any permission, including unusual permissions like limiting number of changed files in one commit.

Installation is very simple. The only problem that I had when I was trying to install it on Alpine Linux was disabled user "git". I had to enable it.

Gitolite is identifying users by ssh keys. This is less convenient than regular user name and password, but is still quite usable.
Administrator just needs to store multiple ssh keys per user.
Keys can be stored in different folders, or in one folder using pattern "user_name@unique_str.pub

Another argument: Linux kernel developers are using gitolite.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55461 is a reply to message #55460] Fri, 13 November 2020 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, there are more reasons, but yes, fine-grained permissions is probably the most important of them. But it is not just about bazaar, it is also about documentation and that would be harder nut to crack... (as .tpp folders are inside are the permissions need to be dynamically updated).

Anyway, WRT bazaar (and maybe some other parts), I hope that in this development cycle we deliver the "uppiverse" which should allow for gradual transition of bazaar project into separate git repos. Or at least I hope so...

In one extreme I could imagine that even theide moves out of uppsrc to separate repo and the only "locked" part will be core library.

Mirek
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55462 is a reply to message #55460] Fri, 13 November 2020 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Novo wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 10:27
AFAIK, the main reason why Upp is still using SVN is a problem with fine-grained write permissions for developers. Basically, majority of developers should have write access rights only to "bazaar". Majority of git-servers doesn't allow to do that.

Why not using standard github dev flow where you create PR when you want to contribute. Mirek could accept or reject such PR and that's it Smile
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55463 is a reply to message #55462] Fri, 13 November 2020 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 11:17
Novo wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 10:27

Why not using standard github dev flow where you create PR when you want to contribute. Mirek could accept or reject such PR and that's it Smile

Except I would not like to do that for the bazaar....
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55465 is a reply to message #55463] Fri, 13 November 2020 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

[quote title=mirek wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 12:23]unodgs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 11:17

I think it should be a separate repo anyway with selected users that can accept PR's.
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55466 is a reply to message #55461] Sat, 14 November 2020 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 04:42
it is also about documentation and that would be harder nut to crack... (as .tpp folders are inside are the permissions need to be dynamically updated).

Gitolite allows to use regular expressions with git refs. It calls them "refex".
There is another even more interesting thing called "virtual ref". You can make your own VREF.
Out of the box you get a "VREF/NAME", which corresponds to a file name.
By combining VREF and regexp you can catch all files ending with ".tpp", or "en-us.tpp" if you'd like, and give specific users or groups of users right to change these files.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55467 is a reply to message #55465] Sat, 14 November 2020 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
[quote title=unodgs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 19:05]mirek wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 12:23
unodgs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 11:17

I think it should be a separate repo anyway with selected users that can accept PR's.

That is exactly the plan!

Mirek
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55470 is a reply to message #55466] Sat, 14 November 2020 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sat, 14 November 2020 00:20
mirek wrote on Fri, 13 November 2020 04:42
it is also about documentation and that would be harder nut to crack... (as .tpp folders are inside are the permissions need to be dynamically updated).

Gitolite allows to use regular expressions with git refs. It calls them "refex".
There is another even more interesting thing called "virtual ref". You can make your own VREF.
Out of the box you get a "VREF/NAME", which corresponds to a file name.
By combining VREF and regexp you can catch all files ending with ".tpp", or "en-us.tpp" if you'd like, and give specific users or groups of users right to change these files.

I will consider it. However, I think "breaking up" svn now seems like a bit better strategy.

Mirek
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55492 is a reply to message #55470] Sun, 15 November 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 14 November 2020 07:00

I will consider it. However, I think "breaking up" svn now seems like a bit better strategy.

Mirek

This is entirely up to you Rolling Eyes
I just tried to help. Git is not an ideal system. I'd say is much worse than Mercurial, but unfortunately almost everybody is using it, and even worse than that, pretty much all developed VCS tools are developed for Git. Sad

Regards,
Novo
Re: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development [message #55729 is a reply to message #55492] Thu, 03 December 2020 19:13 Go to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
+1 mercurial (I love mercurial) ... but GIT is everywhere Sad
Previous Topic: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem
Next Topic: Open_CV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:06:42 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01652 seconds