Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem
Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55591] Mon, 23 November 2020 11:15 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
This is meant to be a sort of distributed ecosystem, where people develop modules for U++ and then declare them public to be easily integrated with other project (there are similar ecosystems for other languages / platforms, like Rust Crates etc...).

The working name is uppiverse but other ideas are welcome. So far other suggestions:

uppverse
uverse
upm
UU
UU++

Do you have some other suggestion?

Mirek
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55592 is a reply to message #55591] Mon, 23 November 2020 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
upp-ecosystem [My preference]
upp-addons
upp-extras

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 12:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55593 is a reply to message #55592] Mon, 23 November 2020 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
ucosystem Smile
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55594 is a reply to message #55593] Mon, 23 November 2020 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
The simple rationale behind prepending upp- to Ultimate++ related stuff (not classes or apps) is that it gives people a chance and time to eventually associate upp acronym with Ultimate++, as cpp is associated with C++.

IMO simply prepending U to any word won't do any good. Smile

(It evens hinders readability, since people complain a lot about Qt/KDE's naming choices.)

Best regards,

Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 13:14]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55595 is a reply to message #55594] Mon, 23 November 2020 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
upp++

(u++)++

++u++

but seriously, what about

upp-network

upphub

u++hub
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55597 is a reply to message #55595] Mon, 23 November 2020 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
hu++b
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55598 is a reply to message #55591] Mon, 23 November 2020 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello,

IMO I like upm, it remind me npm (nodejs packet manager) maybe I can propose ufpm (ultimate framework packet manager)
I also like the way Oblivion is thinking : upp-followbythefeatures

Also, just to let you know (maybe it can give ideas)
-One of few PHP packet manager is named Composer
-Python packet manager is named PIP(packet installer for python)
-The .NET (c#) packet manager is named NuGet
-Java have several package manager : maven, gradle

EDIT: I also really like upphub

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 14:57]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55599 is a reply to message #55598] Mon, 23 November 2020 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
upp-nests

(as we are in fact managing nests here...)
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55600 is a reply to message #55599] Mon, 23 November 2020 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello

uppget Smile It nicly combines upp world with the verb. uppget gets nests Smile Similar to NuGet - UppGet and to brand new Windows winget.

The problem with ordinary ++ is that you need to use shift to enter this symbol. This is additional impediment. We should focus on literal name only without symbols. Also - in name should be avoided.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 15:25]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55601 is a reply to message #55599] Mon, 23 November 2020 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:
upp-nests

It sounds like as if we're going to smuggle out some chickens. Very Happy

I think uppnetwork or upphub is also nice (or upp-network, upp-hub).

Quote:
uppget Smile It nicly combines upp world with the verb. uppget gets nests Smile Similar to NuGet - UppGet and to brand new Windows winget.

This might be good name for an application, or package manager, but not for the distributed packages concept/framework name itself.

Best regards,
Obilvon

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 15:53]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55602 is a reply to message #55601] Mon, 23 November 2020 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
I vote for upphub (or upp-hub)

Since it sounds like github, it is quite natural to think of it as the place where to search upp modules.

uppnests is alos a good choice (but for new comers, it isn't as natural as upphub)
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55606 is a reply to message #55602] Mon, 23 November 2020 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Seems like after one day we have many interesting propositions. However, we do not have strong candidate. So to overcome this issue please specify in your opinion the best name for upp distributed ecosystem. After that we will collect this proposition and create poll and democratically choose one final option.

To do not create more options I am fine with upphub.

I hope we will have more voters rather than proposers Smile If we ever need separate app for package manager then uppget is my choice.

Klugier

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 23:02]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55611 is a reply to message #55606] Mon, 23 November 2020 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Mon, 23 November 2020 23:01
Hello,

Seems like after one day we have many interesting propositions. However, we do not have strong candidate. So to overcome this issue please specify in your opinion the best name for upp distributed ecosystem. After that we will collect this proposition and create poll and democratically choose one final option.

To do not create more options I am fine with upphub.

I hope we will have more voters rather than proposers Smile If we ever need separate app for package manager then uppget is my choice.

Klugier

OK, I am fine with that as well, and even sounds good for the directory name.

So with that resolved, which one is better:

upp-hub
uppHub
UppHub

?
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55612 is a reply to message #55611] Mon, 23 November 2020 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

I hoped for poll and democracy Smile IMHO, in context of name UppHub is the best. It is very similar to some legendary names such as MyApps Wink If we do not have strong candidate here then maybe voting Smile

Klugier

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 23:50]

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55615 is a reply to message #55612] Tue, 24 November 2020 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Mon, 23 November 2020 23:49
Hello Mirek,

I hoped for poll and democracy Smile IMHO, in context of name UppHub is the best. It is very similar to some legendary names such as MyApps Wink If we do not have strong candidate here then maybe voting Smile

Klugier

We can have poll. But I think ppl seem to have voted in the thread already...
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55617 is a reply to message #55615] Tue, 24 November 2020 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
+1 for UppHub

Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55623 is a reply to message #55617] Tue, 24 November 2020 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

upphub seems ok, but to be aligned with umk I would vote for upm (ultimate package manager), or unm (ultimate nests manager)
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55624 is a reply to message #55623] Tue, 24 November 2020 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Tue, 24 November 2020 15:19
upphub seems ok, but to be aligned with umk I would vote for upm (ultimate package manager), or unm (ultimate nests manager)

I think commandline utility, as soon as there is one, can still be (and probably should be) "upm".

Mirek
Re: Looking for a name for U++ distributed ecosystem [message #55625 is a reply to message #55624] Tue, 24 November 2020 21:46 Go to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Ah, confused two things Smile UppHub +1

[Updated on: Tue, 24 November 2020 21:47]

Previous Topic: Translate selected area of screen.
Next Topic: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:52:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01526 seconds