SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » New UppHub root
New UppHub root [message #56131] Sat, 30 January 2021 20:50 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
After the experimental phase, I have moved the main UppHub list to

https://github.com/mirek-fidler/UppHub

The list is directly in readme.md, because why not... Smile

If you want to parcipitate in managing the list, please let me know, I will add the rights for you.

Mirek
Re: New UppHub root [message #56132 is a reply to message #56131] Sat, 30 January 2021 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

As I proposed early UppHub should not be under mirek-fidler. It should be in ultimatepp organization as separate repository. The organization is easier to find and it is common good. Right now we have several people in organization, so we can give them rights to maintain the list. Also, I would like to have everything in one place. So, I do not jump to mirek-fidler when I am look at ultimatepp repository.

I still see that package manifest is integrated with the ".json" file. What is your plan here? Do you plan to let repository construct manifest and keep single link on the list?

Would be nice to have some hind of json validation on CI/CD to do not break the list. This can be implemented later.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 January 2021 21:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New UppHub root [message #56133 is a reply to message #56131] Sat, 30 January 2021 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek and Klugier,

I believe Klugier has a point here. Packages can stay anywhere,after all that is one of the purpose of UppHub, but UppHub root list better be kept under the github/ultimatepp organization. It will be easier to find and curate it.

Also I can help maintaining the list.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: New UppHub root [message #56137 is a reply to message #56131] Sun, 31 January 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 30 January 2021 14:50

It is not parsable as a JSON file ...
I cannot use it with my build automation system because of this markdown formatting:
# UppHub

```

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2021 13:36]

Re: New UppHub root [message #56138 is a reply to message #56137] Sun, 31 January 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Novo,

Quote:
I cannot use it with my build automation system because of this markdown formatting:

I think the parser should first check for the upphub markers/sentinels (UPPHUB_BEGIN, UPPHUB_END), if the file is not marked explicitly as json.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: New UppHub root [message #56139 is a reply to message #56138] Sun, 31 January 2021 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Oblivion wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 07:46

I think the parser should first check for the upphub markers/sentinels (UPPHUB_BEGIN, UPPHUB_END), if the file is not marked explicitly as json.

Thanks! Good idea. Embarassed
There is still a bug in this JSON file:
      "readme": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mirek-fidler/gdal/master/README.md"
    }
    }

(an extra curly brace ...)

Regards,
Novo
Re: New UppHub root [message #56141 is a reply to message #56139] Sun, 31 January 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Quote:

There is still a bug in this JSON file:

"readme": " https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mirek-fidler/gdal/master/R EADME.md"
}
}

(an extra curly brace ...)

This is what I wrote in the previous message - validation on the CI/CD side would be optimal. I also think that README.md shouldn't keep .json data. It should describe what the repository is and that's all. I think instruction would be helpful for new users. UppHub stuff should be stored separately as .json file and validate on each commit/PR. Simple and clean solution without nonstandard json embeeding in .md file.

Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2021 15:35]

Re: New UppHub root [message #56142 is a reply to message #56132] Sun, 31 January 2021 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Sat, 30 January 2021 21:37
Hello Mirek,

As I proposed early UppHub should not be under mirek-fidler. It should be in ultimatepp organization as separate repository. The organization is easier to find and it is common good. Right now we have several people in organization, so we can give them rights to maintain the list. Also, I would like to have everything in one place. So, I do not jump to mirek-fidler when I am look at ultimatepp repository.

You are right, corrected.

Quote:

I still see that package manifest is integrated with the ".json" file. What is your plan here? Do you plan to let repository construct manifest and keep single link on the list?

Well, the idea is

a) this README.md is not to be visited by users, so it does not really matter
b) you can edit it directly in github

Quote:

Would be nice to have some hind of json validation on CI/CD to do not break the list. This can be implemented later.

Adding check to autotest...

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2021 20:48]

Re: New UppHub root [message #56143 is a reply to message #56137] Sun, 31 January 2021 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 13:34

# UppHub

```

#include <Core/Core.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	HttpRequest r("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ultimatepp/UppHub/main/README.md");

String s = r.Execute();

int begin = s.FindAfter("UPPHUB_BEGIN");
	int end = s.Find("UPPHUB_END");

if(begin >= 0 && end >= 0)
		s = s.Mid(begin, end - begin);

Value v = ParseJSON(s);
	if(v.IsError()) {
		s.Replace("&quot;", "\"");
		s.Replace("&amp;", "&");
		v = ParseJSON(s);
	}

ASSERT(!v.IsError());
}

Re: New UppHub root [message #56144 is a reply to message #56142] Sun, 31 January 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

Well, the idea is

The README.md can be visited by the user. If you found ultimatepp organization and then you are curious what is UppHub then you will see the list of the packages without any description. I think we need minimal README.md for UppHub repository. READSME.md file is all about communication with the visitor. If we push there dry data then the visitor will lose the learning opportunity. In our case README.md should contains description - what is UppHub and how can I add package to it, also adding links to our documentation would be valuable.

You can edit any file direcly on github not only README.md, so if you put upphub.json you can edit it too directly on GitHub (like any other text files). Please noticed that users outside organization will still needs to create PR for any modification. For us this is wanted behavior.

Quote:

Can you publish the results of automation somewhere. I think it would be nice if we have idea how stable upp is at the moment. Now you have this knowledge Smile This check is indeed the step in the good direction, however if I modify (as a maintainer) the file and break the json the regression will be detected later. Why do not integrate parsing validator that is offer by GitHub for free for open source organization. I can help with it. The check will be triggered automatically when someone push something to master or on PR.

Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2021 23:38]

Re: New UppHub root [message #56147 is a reply to message #56143] Mon, 01 February 2021 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 14:56
Novo wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 13:34

# UppHub

```

#include <Core/Core.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	HttpRequest r("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ultimatepp/UppHub/main/README.md");

String s = r.Execute();

int begin = s.FindAfter("UPPHUB_BEGIN");
	int end = s.Find("UPPHUB_END");

if(begin >= 0 && end >= 0)
		s = s.Mid(begin, end - begin);

Value v = ParseJSON(s);
	if(v.IsError()) {
		s.Replace("&quot;", "\"");
		s.Replace("&amp;", "&");
		v = ParseJSON(s);
	}

ASSERT(!v.IsError());
}

Thanks! I've fixed that already. BTW, my build automation system is written in Python ... Rolling Eyes
For some reason an UppHub repo has completely disappeared from GitHub ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: New UppHub root [message #56149 is a reply to message #56144] Mon, 01 February 2021 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 21:46
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

Well, the idea is

The README.md can be visited by the user. If you found ultimatepp organization and then you are curious what is UppHub then you will see the list of the packages without any description. I think we need minimal README.md for UppHub repository. READSME.md file is all about communication with the visitor. If we push there dry data then the visitor will lose the learning opportunity. In our case README.md should contains description - what is UppHub and how can I add package to it, also adding links to our documentation would be valuable.

You can edit any file direcly on github not only README.md, so if you put upphub.json you can edit it too directly on GitHub (like any other text files). Please noticed that users outside organization will still needs to create PR for any modification. For us this is wanted behavior.

Quote:

Can you publish the results of automation somewhere. I think it would be nice if we have idea how stable upp is at the moment. Now you have this knowledge Smile This check is indeed the step in the good direction, however if I modify (as a maintainer) the file and break the json the regression will be detected later. Why do not integrate parsing validator that is offer by GitHub for free for open source organization. I can help with it. The check will be triggered automatically when someone push something to master or on PR.

Klugier

Do it, you have write rights.
Re: New UppHub root [message #56150 is a reply to message #56147] Mon, 01 February 2021 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 18:51

For some reason an UppHub repo has completely disappeared from GitHub ...

I've found it in a new place ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: New UppHub root [message #56151 is a reply to message #56150] Mon, 01 February 2021 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
BTW, gdal cannot be compiled with cpp17.
/home/buildbot/worker/l-upphub-gdal/build/plugin/gdal/port/cpl_string.cpp:2405:5: error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister]
    register unsigned char h1, h2;
    ^~~~~~~~~

Regards,
Novo
Re: New UppHub root [message #56158 is a reply to message #56149] Tue, 02 February 2021 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

I added support for CircleCI that runs jsonschema after each commit. Here is the PR. This should detects any mistake very fast and it should prevent from committing faulty json. Also, it supports schema, so we can extend it to make sure that json have tags we desired.

Please review and apply. Also, the nests was moved from README.md to nests.json.

Klugier

[Updated on: Tue, 02 February 2021 01:15]

Re: New UppHub root [message #56160 is a reply to message #56158] Tue, 02 February 2021 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 00:56
Hello Mirek,

I added support for CircleCI that runs jsonschema after each commit. Here is the PR. This should detects any mistake very fast and it should prevent from committing faulty json. Also, it supports schema, so we can extend it to make sure that json have tags we designed.

Please review and apply. Also, the nests was moved from README.md to nests.json.

Klugier

No need to review at this time, apply it. In general: You have rights for UppHub, do whatever you think is necessarry. We can fix things that do not work later.

That said, while json is fine, the necessarry test after each edit will be in TheIDE anyway...

Mirek
Re: New UppHub root [message #56161 is a reply to message #56158] Tue, 02 February 2021 09:35 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 00:56
Hello Mirek,

I added support for CircleCI that runs jsonschema after each commit. Here is the PR. This should detects any mistake very fast and it should prevent from committing faulty json. Also, it supports schema, so we can extend it to make sure that json have tags we desired.

Klugier

Yeah, but you should have mentioned that you are going to break the current link. Whatever, adapting...
Previous Topic: UppHub and version managment
Next Topic: UppHub unavailable due to GitHub maintenance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:05:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01750 seconds