FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » The next step: 32bit wchar
The next step: 32bit wchar [message #57584] Sun, 03 October 2021 09:40 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
So I was thinking about what to do next. From my point of view, there are 3 (or 4) areas that need improvement before I consider U++ "perfect":

1. Improve unicode support

That means a) add ability to handle complete unicode encoding, b) start using layout engines for more exotic languages, like right-to-left.

2. Improve Assist

This mostly means to implement expression parsing / type evaluation and then start supporting newer C++ language features.

3. Implement Dwarf/Linux debugger

Win32 clang can produce dwarf debug info as well as of it is produced by linux toolchains. Supporting dwarf in internal debugger would bring support to U++ types in linux and probably improve the quality of debugging in Win32 clang as well.

Now the simplest thing in the list is 1a, which IMO can be translated to "change wchar to 32 bits". I plan to start working on it today, but before I do:

Can you see any problems with this step? (Apart from implementation). Is any of your code principally bound to 16 bit wchar?

I believe that only places where this matters is when calling Win32 API. And that can be fixed easily (there are/will be UTF16/UTF32 functions).

Mirek
Re: The next step: 32bit wchar [message #57585 is a reply to message #57584] Sun, 03 October 2021 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
mirek wrote on Sun, 03 October 2021 09:40

2. Improve Assist
This mostly means to implement expression parsing / type evaluation and then start supporting newer C++ language features.

The thing I personally would like to see, is some information when and why (file name, line) code assist stopped parsing source code.
It happened many times that at some point code completion stopped working and I had no time to undo the changes to check what part of code was the cause.
Re: The next step: 32bit wchar [message #57588 is a reply to message #57585] Sun, 03 October 2021 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Zbych wrote on Sun, 03 October 2021 11:15
mirek wrote on Sun, 03 October 2021 09:40

2. Improve Assist

The thing I personally would like to see, is some information when and why (file name, line) code assist stopped parsing source code.
It happened many times that at some point code completion stopped working and I had no time to undo the changes to check what part of code was the cause.

If you activate Verbose mode, some errors are printed on console during "rescan all".
Re: The next step: 32bit wchar [message #57589 is a reply to message #57588] Sun, 03 October 2021 21:14 Go to previous message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
mirek wrote on Sun, 03 October 2021 18:25

If you activate Verbose mode, some errors are printed on console during "rescan all".

I gave it a try, but it looks like scanner stuck.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6509&private=0

Previous Topic: Refining IsNull(double)
Next Topic: method passed as parameter in function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:52:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01994 seconds