Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build
Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52449] Wed, 02 October 2019 11:07 Go to next message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Quite a few times I've edited a file, changed some constants and then when I pressed build it undid my changes right before my eyes. Another problem I've had in TheIDE is when changing to another tab my scrollbar position won't be recalled upon return so I have to place a caret to make sure I don't lose my place. It always seems to want to go to where the caret is instead of where I scrolled to.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52450 is a reply to message #52449] Wed, 02 October 2019 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
jjacksonRIAB wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 11:07
Quite a few times I've edited a file, changed some constants and then when I pressed build it undid my changes right before my eyes.

Yeah it happen to me very often:

-I try to build my projet
-Errors occure during the building.
-I look at the errors and quick fix it.
-When I press build & Launch button again the change being undid and the build just start (of course same Errors happen again)

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52451 is a reply to message #52450] Wed, 02 October 2019 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Xemuth wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 11:39

Yeah it happen to me very often:

-I try to build my projet
-Errors occure during the building.
-I look at the errors and quick fix it.
-When I press build & Launch button again the change being undid and the build just start (of course same Errors happen again)

I'm afraid TheIDE is gaslighting us.

Oh no you didn't... What are you talking about? That never happened.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52454 is a reply to message #52451] Wed, 02 October 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
I have the same problem. However, this problem happens to me rarely and in conditions that I can't reproduce, so it's very difficult to report.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52455 is a reply to message #52454] Wed, 02 October 2019 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I concur that this problems haunts me for years, but it is so rare (in my case) that I never got to catching the cause.

Now thinking about it, maybe the problem is that the file is locked for writing while being compiled?

Mirek
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52456 is a reply to message #52455] Wed, 02 October 2019 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
That said, does that happen with .h or with .cpp file? (If it is just .h, that would be important clue).

Mirek

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52457 is a reply to message #52455] Wed, 02 October 2019 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 16:40
I concur that this problems haunts me for years, but it is so rare (in my case) that I never got to catching the cause.

Now thinking about it, maybe the problem is that the file is locked for writing while being compiled?

Mirek

Yeah I'm not sure whether it's just .cpp or .h. I'll have to check next time. I've ignored it for years too but it happens in both windows and linux, that I can confirm and it's not relegated to a specific compiler.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52458 is a reply to message #52449] Wed, 02 October 2019 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jjacksonRIAB wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 11:07
Another problem I've had in TheIDE is when changing to another tab my scrollbar position won't be recalled upon return so I have to place a caret to make sure I don't lose my place. It always seems to want to go to where the caret is instead of where I scrolled to.

As far as I remember, this is intentional, scroll position is restored, but then cursor is placed and if it is outside of scroll range, scroll to its position is done.

I can fix this.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52460 is a reply to message #52458] Wed, 02 October 2019 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 17:09

As far as I remember, this is intentional, scroll position is restored, but then cursor is placed and if it is outside of scroll range, scroll to its position is done.
I can fix this.

Cool. Thanks, Mirek.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52468 is a reply to message #52460] Thu, 03 October 2019 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jjacksonRIAB wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 18:31
mirek wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 17:09

I can fix this.

Cool. Thanks, Mirek.

Changed in the trunk.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52472 is a reply to message #52468] Fri, 04 October 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
It is fixed. Thank you so much, Mirek!
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52501 is a reply to message #52468] Fri, 11 October 2019 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hate to bother you again, Mirek, but a scrolling problem also exists in horizontal view on the bottom view. If you scroll to the bottom and switch to the other window, the bottom window will shift up.
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52609 is a reply to message #52456] Mon, 28 October 2019 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
mirek wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 16:42
That said, does that happen with .h or with .cpp file? (If it is just .h, that would be important clue).

Mirek

Just happen to me in a .cpp file.

I just swaped from .h to .cpp after a compilation error and just did 2 copy paste and compile again then TheIDE bring me back to my first copy paste.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 October 2019 14:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #52614 is a reply to message #52609] Wed, 30 October 2019 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
For me TheIDE is going now well.
I cannot reproduce this:

Quote:
Just happen to me in a .cpp file.

I just swaped from .h to .cpp after a compilation error and just did 2 copy paste and compile again then TheIDE bring me back to my first copy paste.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #58303 is a reply to message #52455] Thu, 14 April 2022 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Mirek

I don't know if this bit of information helps or not but when it this problem occurs it's also clearing the undo buffer so you can't go either forwards or backwards. Could it be related to when undo buffer is full and it's ejecting the oldest entries?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2022 05:44]

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #58304 is a reply to message #58303] Thu, 14 April 2022 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jjacksonRIAB wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 05:35

Mirek

I don't know if this bit of information helps or not but when it this problem occurs it's also clearing the undo buffer so you can't go either forwards or backwards. Could it be related to when undo buffer is full and it's ejecting the oldest entries?

Well, clearing undo buffer is done when the file changes outside theide, that is actually a good thing (theide looses the track of chnages so cannot do undo). Maybe the problem is that this sometimes does not happen even if it should.

EDIT: Actually, I did not have this rare problem (I mean original one) for about a year (using theide for many hours each day) and I remember fixing some things around it, so maybe it is finally fixed.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2022 12:15]

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #58306 is a reply to message #58304] Thu, 14 April 2022 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Well, I occasionally get this weird and annoying behavior, unfortunately even with the latest builds of theIDE (on Linux).
So far I coudn't find a regular pattern for it, so it is still very hard for me to replicate it in a controlled way and debug it.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2022 20:11]

Re: Edited file sometimes reverts changes when running build [message #58307 is a reply to message #58304] Fri, 15 April 2022 03:10 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Like Oblivion I still get it here too on Linux.

I just tested what you said Mirek. I called touch on a file that had been open for editing and the first few times it did not clear the undo buffer, then it started working consistently. I'll note that this is a file I had still open from last night.

I saved it, tested undo, it still worked, then I wrote some junk, touched it from outside the editor, undo still worked. Did it again, undo still worked. Then the third time I touched it and undo buffer was cleared and has worked correctly since then.

Out of curiosity I ran a touch script in a loop with a one second delay and tested it on a file in theide. theide was informing me the file had been changed and asking me if I wanted to reload. This was not occurring at all when I was using it before. It's as if at some point theide stops watching files for external modifications.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2022 04:00]

Previous Topic: Assist++ typedef struct analysis problem
Next Topic: screen that accumulates ClipBoard content / tested in Windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:48:45 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01301 seconds