Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Bit of bussines and money....
Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6201] Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
OK, I am afraid this topic might offend many...

Anyway, I believe that in the long term, U++ needs some cash flow to grow.

Ideally, it would be nice to have some commercial backing for the library, and maybe we will get there at some point in the future.

In any case, in all of my plans, U++ library is free BSD licensed open software, usable even for closed-source commercial applications without any fee.

So where the little cash might come from? I plan to implement following features soon:

- some limited website advertising, most likely google adsense. I will try hard to keep it decent and not too much disturbing.

- PayPal donations. Inspired by www.winscp.net, you will be even able to get something in return - we will be listing all donors in TheIDE main help page (again in some decent way), with added features based on donation size - so it will be a kind of advertising too (big donation -> big font, www link and perhaps some additional info) (it is good that topic++ is now compressing files Wink

Now rather exotic idea:

- sponsorship banner on TheIDE splash-screen and about box. Actually, there already was such banner in 511 release. The sponsorship would be granted based on eBay auction.

Distant future plans, not very high level of probability:

* U++ consulting

* U++ Pro boxed version with enterprise tools (but in no case the free version would be made less useful for average users - this would be rather about Fedora/RHEL model..)

[Updated on: Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6203 is a reply to message #6201] Thu, 02 November 2006 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
P.S.: Feel free to comment / criticise..
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6204 is a reply to message #6203] Thu, 02 November 2006 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Well Mirek, you - and many others - invest a lot of time into Ultimate ++, so i have no Problem if you try to get at least a part of the time paid!

What kind of enterprise tools are you thinking of?
Bas
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6206 is a reply to message #6201] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
I agree with Bas. I do not see any problem.

Luigi
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6207 is a reply to message #6203] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Without money, it is very hard to manage anything, I think. So I agree with you, Mirek.
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6209 is a reply to message #6204] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fallingdutch wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 09:38

Well Mirek, you - and many others - invest a lot of time into Ultimate ++, so i have no Problem if you try to get at least a part of the time paid!

What kind of enterprise tools are you thinking of?
Bas

Things like E-R diagrams for .sch objects (something I never needed or used for my 600 tables IDIS schema Smile

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6210 is a reply to message #6209] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 16:14

Things like E-R diagrams for .sch objects (something I never needed or used for my 600 tables IDIS schema Smile

In that case I realy don't mind if you sell such boxes ... and if I ever earn money with Software written with U++ I am willingly to buy one of these or donate Cool

Bas

[Updated on: Thu, 02 November 2006 16:46]

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6211 is a reply to message #6210] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
Agree,advance feature(such as database support) of U++ can be considered as pro,but please at least keep the core part(GUI related) as BSD.people would like to spend proper money for good things,but there some thing prevent this(as exchange difficulty).
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6212 is a reply to message #6211] Thu, 02 November 2006 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ulti wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 10:51

Agree,advance feature(such as database support) of U++ can be considered as pro,but please at least keep the core part(GUI related) as BSD.people would like to spend proper money for good things,but there some thing prevent this(as exchange difficulty).

Well, these "pro" things are just thoughts now, anyway:

The current library parts will always be BSD and free.

Even any other new library packages would be BSD/Free according to the current plan.

The only "Pro" part would be enhancements to TheIDE and perhaps some other tools could be "value" added.

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6213 is a reply to message #6201] Thu, 02 November 2006 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeohhs
It is a good idea to make Ultimate++ project generate money for its core developers. Otherwise, it will not grow quickly. IMHO it is unfair to expect its core developers to spend a lot of valuable time without any form of income.

I'd like to use Ultimate++ for developing commercial products. I'm already using a payment processor system which allows split payments. When I have an Ultimate++ program ready for sale, I will offer a split payment to the Ultimate++ project, a certain percentage that we can agree on comfortably. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6214 is a reply to message #6213] Thu, 02 November 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djesus is currently offline  djesus
Promising Member
I think U++ it's a great tool (for Linux the best (my opinion)). This is a great idea to get business, and the money... I think that to grow the money is critical, so I am agree with Mirek.

Good Luck

Best Regards
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6234 is a reply to message #6214] Fri, 03 November 2006 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
What do you think about also adding an ad to the forum pages?
I think the forum pages requests are higher than the Ultimate++ page requests at the moment.
Of course, I don't have any statistics on that.
Another issue is that the forum is and will be an important source of documentation for all working on and with upp.
Just an idea (codeblocks does the same Wink).

Matthias
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6236 is a reply to message #6234] Fri, 03 November 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
masu wrote on Fri, 03 November 2006 05:53

What do you think about also adding an ad to the forum pages?
I think the forum pages requests are higher than the Ultimate++ page requests at the moment.
Of course, I don't have any statistics on that.
Another issue is that the forum is and will be an important source of documentation for all working on and with upp.
Just an idea (codeblocks does the same Wink).

Matthias

Yes, this is definitely planned.

I would like to integrate everything in single web server-> forum.ultimatepp.org, wiki.ultimatepp.org....

Anyway, I am afraid this will take some time now (like week or two Wink

Another thing I would like to do soon is to prepare the fund-raising info. As I have described before, donors will get publicity inside TheIDE help and I there will be a "release sponsorship" auction with advertising space on login.

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6238 is a reply to message #6236] Fri, 03 November 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 03 November 2006 12:00

I would like to integrate everything in single web server-> forum.ultimatepp.org, wiki.ultimatepp.org....

Hope you will use mediawiki as wiki - will you?

Bas
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6239 is a reply to message #6238] Fri, 03 November 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Frankly I have not investigated the issue yet....

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6253 is a reply to message #6201] Sat, 04 November 2006 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13

- PayPal donations. ...

PC Professionell, a major German Computer magazine (www.pc-professionell.de), reports in its latest edition (published today) under the headline "Account Terrorism" that PayPal freezes the accounts of its clients in the slightest cases of suspected terrorism. This would even affect many innocents. Consumer rights would be grossly disregarded.

It then cites among others web sites "www.paypalsucks.com" and "www.paypalwarning.com".

Werner

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6257 is a reply to message #6253] Sun, 05 November 2006 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Werner wrote on Sat, 04 November 2006 20:54

luzr wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13

- PayPal donations. ...

PC Professionell, a major German Computer magazine (www.pc-professionell.de), reports in its latest edition (published today) under the headline "Account Terrorism" that PayPal freezes the accounts of its clients in the slightest cases of suspected terrorism. This would even affect many innocents. Consumer rights would be grossly disregarded.

It then cites among others web sites "www.paypalsucks.com" and "www.paypalwarning.com".

Werner

you can read about it in german law forums, too
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6263 is a reply to message #6253] Sun, 05 November 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I am afraid we have to live with this danger, there really is no other option for this...

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6279 is a reply to message #6201] Sun, 05 November 2006 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
I think google ads on the upp homepage and forums is a great idea, as is free sponsorship. About adding such matters to theIDE, I'm not 100% sure. If it's done wrong, theIDE and thus UPP might not be considered as free, rather adware... I'm sure you'll be careful to avoid such classification.

"Enterprise" stuff is good too if we can come up with some good ideas for features Wink Perhaps stuff like UML generation from code and the like. Maybe a plugin type approach á la Eclipse would help this (and generate more interest with a more flexible, powerful IDE)?

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2006 18:54]

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6280 is a reply to message #6279] Sun, 05 November 2006 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
exolon wrote on Sun, 05 November 2006 12:54

I think google ads on the upp homepage and forums is a great idea, as is free sponsorship. About adding such matters to theIDE, I'm not 100% sure. If it's done wrong, theIDE and thus UPP might not be considered as free, rather adware... I'm sure you'll be careful to avoid such classification.

Actually, you can check now: 511 version had such "sponsorship strip" in the splash screen and about box. I am really interested in community opinion on this, please check it out (still can be downloaded from sf.net).

In any case, I would never used anything that occupies screen space that can be usefully used to do your work or that is always visible on the screen. (note that google ads occupy areas that were empty before).

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2006 20:12]

Previous Topic: WTL wiki
Next Topic: Improving Ultimate++'s Fame
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:16:48 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00953 seconds