Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ TheIDE and Library: Releases and ChangeLogs » Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux
Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #5577] Wed, 04 October 2006 13:43 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
OK, the implementation is primitive and maybe works just in Ubuntu...
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6185 is a reply to message #5577] Wed, 01 November 2006 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi,

yes you are right that this change is very specific to Ubuntu.
My system crashes when theIDE tries to call 'aplay ...', so I replaced the function with a dummy call.

Matthias

931b81e7ea53320dccc37375b34b38c3
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6187 is a reply to message #6185] Wed, 01 November 2006 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Crashes? I would expect it to do nothing is aplay is not present...

Mirek
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6188 is a reply to message #6187] Wed, 01 November 2006 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am sorry, I used the wrong wording Rolling Eyes. Of course my system does not crash Wink, but I get a core dump each time aplay is called.
Neither theIDE is crashing, but I get several core dumps depending on the number of beep tries.

Matthias
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6189 is a reply to message #6188] Wed, 01 November 2006 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I am still not sure what "core dump" is there?

AFAIK, if I issue system with unknown command, worst thing that can happen is "command not found"?

Or is the problem with aplay broken and crashing when used with non-existing file?

Mirek
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6190 is a reply to message #6189] Thu, 02 November 2006 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the problem is the abort() function since it abnormally terminates the process that was forked before to play sound file.
And this somehow triggers the core dump creation.

Matthias
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6216 is a reply to message #6190] Thu, 02 November 2006 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just replace call to abort() with call to _exit(EXIT_SUCCESS), if possible on your system.
This change fixes the problem on my system since the child process terminates normally then.

Matthias
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6218 is a reply to message #6216] Thu, 02 November 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
BTW, does it beep? Smile

Mirek
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6219 is a reply to message #6218] Thu, 02 November 2006 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
here it does beep ... i hate beeping software Smile

Bas
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6220 is a reply to message #6218] Thu, 02 November 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it does not beep (at least not my computer).
I don't have 'aplay'. Is it a userland program of Ubuntu that is installed by default?
I think there was a version in the past in which I got a beep either by getting a build error or by finish building.

Matthias
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6221 is a reply to message #6220] Thu, 02 November 2006 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
aplay is AFAIK standard ALSA utility - if you have ALSA, you should have aplay. It is the most standard way to play .wav files in Linux I have found so far.

Is there some equivalent standard command in FreeBSD? Do you have some .wav files where we are trying to find them?

Mirek
Re: Beeps (Information/Exclamation/Error) now implemented in Linux [message #6222 is a reply to message #6221] Thu, 02 November 2006 22:19 Go to previous message
luzr wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 21:00

Is there some equivalent standard command in FreeBSD?

There seems to be no such command in the base system.One could use the sound device file directly, but that does not seem to be a good solution.
luzr wrote

Do you have some .wav files where we are trying to find them?

Also, not available in the base system (fortunately Smile).

I would like to leave beeping out for FreeBSD since it seems we need to add extra dependencies for the port to function correctly and I doubt that this is worth the effort.

What do you think?

Matthias
Previous Topic: New documentation...
Next Topic: Added support for BI_RLE8 and BI_RLE4 BMP modes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 18:34:49 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02574 seconds