Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux
LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6343] Tue, 07 November 2006 12:57 Go to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Hi what about changing the log-destination for linux from ~/.Appname-date.log to ~/.Appname/logs/date.log?

I hate all these logfiles in my ~ and would prefer them in a ~/.Appname/logs/ dir

Bas
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6344 is a reply to message #6343] Tue, 07 November 2006 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Very good idea, for FreeBSD, too Smile .

Matthias

931b81e7ea53320dccc37375b34b38c3
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6364 is a reply to message #6343] Thu, 09 November 2006 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I was thinking about something like that too, but is that "logs" sub-dir necessary?

I would simply use .AppName/*.*log

Mirek
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6369 is a reply to message #6364] Thu, 09 November 2006 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 20:30

Well, I was thinking about something like that too, but is that "logs" sub-dir necessary?

No it is not necessary ... but i would like it Wink

Bas
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6371 is a reply to message #6364] Thu, 09 November 2006 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 20:30

Mirek

I think the subdir necessary when looking at the number of log files created, due to date in the name. Or you integrate the date of logs into single files for usrlog, buglog, etc.

Matthias
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6381 is a reply to message #6371] Fri, 10 November 2006 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Actually, unless you activate .buglog and .usrlog, there is just single log file...

Mirek
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6389 is a reply to message #6381] Fri, 10 November 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 10 November 2006 07:52

Actually, unless you activate .buglog and .usrlog, there is just single log file...

How can I deactivate it?

Matthias
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6391 is a reply to message #6389] Fri, 10 November 2006 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
In should be inactive. However, TheIDE has it activated in the source.

I guess it needs a bit of explanation:

.buglog and .usrlog files as intended as "post-mortem" tool to maintain applications. On my "enterprise" apps, there is about 150 users running apps.

.usrlog is log that attempts to log all actions that user performed with app. It is normally deleted on application exit, but if application terminates abnormally, normal application exit is not performed and .usrlog stays (if it is possible, crash is also recorded as last entry in the .usrlog). All this is done with hope that list of user actions can lead me to reproduce the bug.

.buglog simply logs all problems - that e.g. includes even oracle queries that run for too long.

Now when application starts, it checks for any pending .usrlog and .buglog files (but that is application specific issue - in TheIDE there is no code like that). All of them are moved to some shared network directory (better alternative would be to email them to me). When I am on my maintainance session, I simply check the folder to have a glue what is wrong with system....

Mirek
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6392 is a reply to message #6391] Fri, 10 November 2006 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your explanation Smile

Matthias
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #6412 is a reply to message #6392] Sat, 11 November 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Done...

Mirek
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #8039 is a reply to message #6412] Mon, 05 February 2007 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
Hmmm... Here are some thoughts.

Placing the files in ~/.App-name/... clutters up the home directory, and more importantly if you have multiple versions of the same app, it will overwrite the logs. Ex: I have an assemblage named LIDAR_apps which contains supposedly working versions of the packages, and LIDAR_exp for experimental versions of the same code. Later, as I release specific versions, I was planning on renaming the assemblages to something like LIDAR_apps_001, etc. I'm still trying to decide the best way to handle specific version support for U++ packages. What is the U++ convention for handling application versioning?

My $0.02 would be to place the logs in a sub directory of the package itself, add a new build menu item "clean logs" below "clean package", and possibly add a couple of check boxes in debug for creating logs, etc... Like I said, just my $0.02

Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #8058 is a reply to message #8039] Mon, 05 February 2007 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 12:38

My $0.02 would be to place the logs in a sub directory of the package itself, add a new build menu item "clean logs" below "clean package", and possibly add a couple of check boxes in debug for creating logs, etc... Like I said, just my $0.02

No, placing intermediate files to directory sources is something we are trying to avoid hard.

Anyway, perhaps now, when we have GetExeDirFile more or less working, we could simply place them in output directory (where binary resides), just like in Win32. It would not just work well for release version, but release versions do not make .logs anyway.

Alternative is to move them one level down, e.g. into ~/.upp.log directory.

And then maybe, it could be output directory for debug and ~/.upp.log for release.

(That said, I do not like so much .* subdirs in my ~ too... Smile

Mirek
Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #8063 is a reply to message #8058] Mon, 05 February 2007 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
> No, placing intermediate files to directory sources is
> something we are trying to avoid hard.

fair enough. After pointing this out I very much agree with you Wink

the linux default is to make a copy of the sources and build in $(USER)/upp. how about a directory named log which is a sibling of out directory (ie $(USER)/upp/logs)? That way we do not have to make a seperate directory in home or root.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the day I learn u++ enough that I can actually contribute instead of wasting your time.

Re: LOG files in ~/.App-name/logs/date.log in Linux [message #8064 is a reply to message #8063] Mon, 05 February 2007 23:30 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 17:23

> No, placing intermediate files to directory sources is
> something we are trying to avoid hard.

fair enough. After pointing this out I very much agree with you Wink

the linux default is to make a copy of the sources and build in $(USER)/upp. how about a directory named log which is a sibling of out directory (ie $(USER)/upp/logs)? That way we do not have to make a seperate directory in home or root.

Actually, I believe I suggest something similar for release version.

The advantage of putting debug into output directory is that there is nice well defined "Open output directory file" function in TheIDE.

BTW, placing in ~/upp/logs has slight disadvantage as that directory is not well defined during execution of binary, it is just compilation issue.

Quote:

BTW, I'm looking forward to the day I learn u++ enough that I can actually contribute instead of wasting your time.

That is OK, you are not wasting my time. Actually, this one problem is the kind that can be implemented in 2 minutes, but takes months to decide what is the correct behaviour.... Brainstorming is highly appreciated.
Previous Topic: Problem with StringReplace [solved]
Next Topic: Must Core be compiled in DEBUG mode only?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:31:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03352 seconds