FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What would give a great push to Upp
What would give a great push to Upp [message #6648] Tue, 21 November 2006 17:01 Go to next message
cioannou is currently offline  cioannou
Datawindow clone/equivalent.

It's great for data editing, displaying, reporting, crosstabs, charts, forms, tabular data, grids, custom sql, works with any db, supports summaries, user added computed columns, external data import, export to a variety of file formats, you name it. It's damn easy to design and use, even my 6 yo daughter can do it. Once you have it any data driven application will be a simple task.

For many years the only tool offering this kind of functionality with your data is Powerbuilder, and it's the number one advantage over other similar tools.

It's that simple and effective that makes you wonder if it's true. And it really is...

If someone has the skills to make something like it, it's a sure success, believe me guys it's the No1 reason that people still pay a lot of money for Powerbuilder and Sybase knows it, that's why they also released a .net version of Datawindow.

You want to make THE difference, make datawindow. If anyone wants in-depth details other than the ones in sybase's website, drop me a message.

A small screen cast I did:

http://www.sector-one.gr/dw/index.htm

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2006 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6651 is a reply to message #6648] Tue, 21 November 2006 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, sounds good, but hard to judge what it really is. Any links?
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6667 is a reply to message #6651] Wed, 22 November 2006 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A small screen cast I did:

More screencasts will be added. I strongly believe that datawindow is THE feature for any developer that has to deal with data.

Main Sybase Site:

http://www.sybase.com

Datawindow Reference:

http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-pjarc/pjg0400e/d wref/@Generic__BookView

[Updated on: Wed, 22 November 2006 12:09]

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6668 is a reply to message #6667] Wed, 22 November 2006 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Main page for all screencasts regarding datawindow.
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6671 is a reply to message #6668] Wed, 22 November 2006 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, why not.

However, right at this moment we must finish 2007.1 first. Please remind me at more calm times Wink

Mirek
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6674 is a reply to message #6671] Wed, 22 November 2006 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you serious about this? Whoa! Surprised Great! Surprised

I will remind you whenever you want, even everyday.

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6689 is a reply to message #6668] Wed, 22 November 2006 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
cioannou wrote on Wed, 22 November 2006 11:23

Main page for all screencasts regarding datawindow.

Very nice tutorials and impressive datawindow. Yes, it could make the difference to have a so powerful ctrl for U++ to manage databases.

Luigi
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6691 is a reply to message #6689] Thu, 23 November 2006 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I have seen some of the demos, but my impression is, that using this DataWindow in your code is much more complicated than sql classes of Ultimate++.
Additionally, my experience is, that users hate this kind of controls. They like simple readonly tables (search results) and editing windows.
This editable table like things are good if you have a very few records only.
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6713 is a reply to message #6691] Fri, 24 November 2006 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean by more complicated?

All I did was select some fields and everything else is done for me.

As for the results you mentioned, datawindow behaviour is controlled by you, I can assure you that it handles thousands of rows perfectly.

If you want to use it as a simple single record editing form you can do that too and it's very easy. (I will make an example and post it)

And you have not yet seen what it can do with reports, crosstabs/pivots, graphs, master detail forms, treeviews and more.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2006 09:43]

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6715 is a reply to message #6713] Fri, 24 November 2006 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
You can be right, but I prefer clear coding, not wizards.
E.g., to setup an SQL-based array, this code (copied from SQLApp example) is much more simple for me than clicking a lot.
	book.SetTable(BOOK);
	book.AddKey(ID);
	book.AddColumn(AUTHOR, "Author");
	book.AddColumn(TITLE, "Title");
	book.SetOrderBy(TITLE, AUTHOR);

Or setting up Edit controls as record field editors:
	ctrls
		(BORROWED, borrowed)
		(RETURNED, returned)
		(PERSON, person)
	;

Maybe it is my personal perversion, that I like separating database related code from GUI (.lay in U++), but I can write really clear and maintainable code this way only.
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6716 is a reply to message #6715] Fri, 24 November 2006 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Or setting up Edit controls as record field editors:
	ctrls
		(BORROWED, borrowed)
		(RETURNED, returned)
		(PERSON, person)
	;

BTW, there is a simple "clicking" tool in LayDes that generates above code from the layout Smile

Mirek
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6717 is a reply to message #6715] Fri, 24 November 2006 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

That's my personal perversion too ZSolt Wink
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6722 is a reply to message #6716] Fri, 24 November 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 12:23

BTW, there is a simple "clicking" tool in LayDes that generates above code from the layout Smile

Oops, thats very cool, I have just tried it Smile
I didn't know until now what that controls are for in Code generator, really. Thanks Smile
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6725 is a reply to message #6717] Fri, 24 November 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 13:24

That's the whole idea about linux deveopment, most of you advanced developers prefer the "hard" way. But we "business" developers prefer the easy way to do the "easy" things and then focus on business requirements.
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6726 is a reply to message #6725] Fri, 24 November 2006 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

cioannou wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 08:14

That's the whole idea about linux deveopment, most of you advanced developers prefer the "hard" way. But we "business" developers prefer the easy way to do the "easy" things and then focus on business requirements.

I understand you, but everytime I had to create something in tool like powerbuilder where you can make an app using mouse only the troubles appeared when something uncommon had to be done. Then I had to make ugly workarounds. I just hate them. I prefer few more lines of code but to have a control.
Besides coding in upp is very easy IMO. I would call it "soft code way" Wink
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6727 is a reply to message #6726] Fri, 24 November 2006 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will not disagree with you, you are absolutely right. If something uncommon is needed then you have to use the "hard way". But for all others which is the 95% of business development you spend 1/6 of the time compared to other tools.

Anyway, the main reason for my post is that Linux really lacks Powerbuilder like tools and controls. U++ really broke a few barriers and looks like it's heading for a more business development approach while retaining the advanced features that some developers may need.

We also have to admit that another reason for Windows being so popular is because it's easy to build software on it even if this software is technically good or bad. People in software companies that build business software do not need "control", they need to quickly develop and sell. And windows offers these kind of tools Powerbuilder, Delphi, VB, etc.

IMO, if Linux wants to gain more users then it needs a truly RAD tool that leaves "control" to those who REALLY need it and does not force everyone to go the hard way and U++ seems to have the ability and strength to bridge the barrier between the experts and the mortals.

P.S.
You can see the full code of the application in the attachment.The logic is not much different than U++ or Glade or other linux tools.

You can also take a look at the crosstab/pivot and graph creation at:
  • Attachment: screencast.7z
    (Size: 2.84KB, Downloaded 1827 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2006 15:35]

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6731 is a reply to message #6726] Fri, 24 November 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 08:22

cioannou wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 08:14

I understand you, but everytime I had to create something in tool like powerbuilder where you can make an app using mouse only the troubles appeared when something uncommon had to be done. Then I had to make ugly workarounds. I just hate them. I prefer few more lines of code but to have a control.
Besides coding in upp is very easy IMO. I would call it "soft code way" Wink

BTW, the Ultimate++ library really started as replacement for Oracle Forms (which is similar "clicking" environment as PowerBuilder, perhaps more even more clicking and more limitiations Smile

Mirek
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6732 is a reply to message #6725] Sat, 25 November 2006 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeohhs
cioannou wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 21:14

But we "business" developers prefer the easy way to do the "easy" things and then focus on business requirements.

This is very true and furthermore most business requirements are complicated unless it is a very small app.

If U++ move towards the "click" approach, it will definitely fly. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh
--

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6733 is a reply to message #6732] Sat, 25 November 2006 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
yeohhs wrote on Sat, 25 November 2006 01:01

cioannou wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 21:14

But we "business" developers prefer the easy way to do the "easy" things and then focus on business requirements.

This is very true and furthermore most business requirements are complicated unless it is a very small app.

If U++ move towards the "click" approach, it will definitely fly. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh
--

Well, everything is possible...

Anyway, to get back to the earth, I think MacOS support is the priority now (with some luck, PocketPC could be part of 2007.1).

Mirek
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6736 is a reply to message #6733] Sat, 25 November 2006 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sat, 25 November 2006 01:51

Anyway, to get back to the earth, I think MacOS support is the priority now (with some luck, PocketPC could be part of 2007.1).

Mirek

is that mean next release will be 2007.1,not 611?
Previous Topic: Open Question: How did you learn C++?
Next Topic: Cool!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:09:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02121 seconds