FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » TheIDE zombie problem
TheIDE zombie problem [message #7453] Sat, 30 December 2006 09:36 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
TheIDE leaves launched programs as zombies.

Yes, I am well aware that you have to call wait for cleanup. However, in TheIDE, that is not entirely possible, because we need GUI to continue running.

Therefore we need a "start&forget" way of launching programs.

Somewhere I have found a recipe to solve the problem using singnals; the code is at ide/Host.cpp starting at line 156. But it does not seem to work well.

Any ideas?

Mirek
Re: TheIDE zombie problem [message #7454 is a reply to message #7453] Sat, 30 December 2006 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member
Well, you can start children you don't need to wait on, if you really do not need to know when they die. Just start a new process group (setsid()) before calling.

if (!fork()) {
  // as child
  close(fileno(STDIN));
  close(fileno(STDOUT));
  close(fileno(STDERR));
  setsid();
  execve(argv[0], argv, env);
  /* not reached */
}

Iwould assume that's fine for "execute", but if you want to run it in debugged, you may need/want the SIGCHLD to know when it dies? Or if you are using stdin/out, deal/ignore SIGPIPE.

I can certainly fix it, so it leaves no zombies, if that is all that is needed.
Re: TheIDE zombie problem [message #7455 is a reply to message #7454] Sat, 30 December 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Sat, 30 December 2006 05:04

Iwould assume that's fine for "execute", but if you want to run it in debugged, you may need/want the SIGCHLD to know when it dies? Or if you are using stdin/out, deal/ignore SIGPIPE.

For debugging that really is not problem, the wait is (ok, should be Smile called there (it is another mode..)

Mirek
Re: TheIDE zombie problem [message #7456 is a reply to message #7454] Sat, 30 December 2006 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Sat, 30 December 2006 05:04

Well, you can start children you don't need to wait on, if you really do not need to know when they die. Just start a new process group (setsid()) before calling.

if (!fork()) {
  // as child
  close(fileno(STDIN));
  close(fileno(STDOUT));
  close(fileno(STDERR));
  setsid();
  execve(argv[0], argv, env);
  /* not reached */
}

I can certainly fix it, so it leaves no zombies, if that is all that is needed.

Well I am afraid that above solution is not correct - you have to wait for pid returned from fork in the parent process.

Mirek
Re: TheIDE zombie problem [message #7458 is a reply to message #7456] Sat, 30 December 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

Code meant as pseudo example, not "as is". But I can take a look at it Monday, no need to do that on "my time" Smile

Re: TheIDE zombie problem [message #7461 is a reply to message #7458] Sat, 30 December 2006 13:50 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Sat, 30 December 2006 06:10

Code meant as pseudo example, not "as is". But I can take a look at it Monday, no need to do that on "my time" Smile

Fixed...
Previous Topic: Twain - support for scanners - needed
Next Topic: Extensions of X-Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:28:41 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 4.06728 seconds