Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Welcome to Portland!
Welcome to Portland! [message #7790] Mon, 22 January 2007 23:50 Go to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I've searched "portland" in the forum and nothing came out! What a shame!
Portland http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/is an initiative in the linux world to standardize desktop enviroments, and the utilities below are the first result of the panel:

xdg-desktop-menu, install desktop menu items
xdg-desktop-icon, install icons to the desktop
xdg-icon-resource, install icon resources

xdg-mime, query information about file type handling and add descriptions for new file types

It also contains the following runtime integration tools:

xdg-open, open a file or URL in the user's preferred application
xdg-email, send mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer
xdg-screensaver, control the screensaver

U++ for sure should take advantage of this commands.

Ciao,
David
Re: Welcome to Portland! [message #7798 is a reply to message #7790] Tue, 23 January 2007 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Definitely.

BTW, what is real-world availability in popular linux distros? Do we these in Ubuntu?
Re: Welcome to Portland! [message #7804 is a reply to message #7798] Tue, 23 January 2007 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
luzr wrote on Tue, 23 January 2007 08:44

Definitely.

BTW, what is real-world availability in popular linux distros? Do we these in Ubuntu?

I've found LSB roadmap:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
Quote:

LSB 3.2 (Q2 2007)

Desktop
Whereas LSB 3.1 stopped at the desktop toolkits (GTK and Qt), LSB 3.2 aims to "move up the stack" and incorporate more of GNOME and KDE. Four freedesktop.org specifications (Desktop entry, Icon theme, Menu, and Desktop base directory) are in the process of being added to 3.2 (all are already best practice). xdg-utils (aka Portland), which provides a unified command line interface to these standards, is also being considered, but their inclusion in 3.2 depends entirely on whether the distros include them in a service pack release of their current generation (RHEL 5, SLES 10, etc.). In any event, we should consider adding xdg-utils to the LSB SDK, since they can be bundled with the application to provide the necessary functionality. We should also revisit Qt 4. Whether this is a 3.2 candidate depends entirely on whether Red Hat ships it in RHEL 5.

I've found these two articles also
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7435528984.html
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7478724750.html

------------------------------------------------------------ --

I must confess that on my xubuntu Edgy there are Portland packages available, but they didn't get installed during the upgrade to Edgy, nor I installed them later. Since evidently these are system packages, I thought they should be in beta state, so I didn't want to mess the repo more than I've just done Rolling Eyes .

Ciao,
David
Re: Welcome to Portland! [message #7808 is a reply to message #7804] Tue, 23 January 2007 13:18 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
waxblood wrote on Tue, 23 January 2007 03:55

I must confess that on my xubuntu Edgy there are Portland packages available, but they didn't get installed during the upgrade to Edgy, nor I installed them later. Since evidently these are system packages, I thought they should be in beta state, so I didn't want to mess the repo more than I've just done Rolling Eyes .

Well, unless they are default on Ubuntu/Suse/Redhat, I see no reason to hurry...

Mirek
Previous Topic: CJK woes
Next Topic: Pre-compiled headers support for MinGW
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 15:02:21 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03446 seconds