Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » large ArrayCtrl
large ArrayCtrl [message #470] Wed, 04 January 2006 14:28 Go to next message
hojtsy is currently offline  hojtsy
Experienced Member
Hi,
I have a data table which would fit in a matrix of 20 * 100.000 cells, of approx 50MB size. This seems to be too big to be directly stored in the ArrayCtrl, especially if multiple ArrayCtrls could be opened for the same data table. It would be good to just tell the ArrayCtrl the dimensions of the matrix, and a location of a callback function where the cell data could be accessed on demand. Is this already provided? If not, what would be the simplest way to implement it from client code?
thanks,
Sandor
Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #471 is a reply to message #470] Wed, 04 January 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Yes. Of course, it is not as trivial as having data directly stored.

The idea is this - instead of storing the "real" data, you use "RowNum" columns. Value of those columns is equal to the index of arrayctrl line.

Column& AddRowNumColumn(const char *text, int w = 0);

Now you can provide Display and Convert for those columns. Therefore, the thing you need is to provide Convert that converts your line index to the real data (found elsewhere).

For more columns, you will likely have to one Convert object per column (often you will be able to solve it with single Convert class and attribute, e.g. database column ID).

The last thing to make it work - instead of adding rows to arrayctrl, assing it a "virtual line count".

void SetVirtualCount(int c);
Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #472 is a reply to message #470] Wed, 04 January 2006 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks, luzr, this sounds fine. Unfortunately I can not find any documentation for Convert or Display classes. Are these documented somewhere?
Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #478 is a reply to message #472] Wed, 04 January 2006 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
No yet, sorry.

However, Convert perhaps does not even need it - the only thing that is relevant here is

virtual Value Format(const Value& v);

to make your conversion.
Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #839 is a reply to message #478] Sat, 04 February 2006 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I created an example for the big arrays using AddRowNumColumn, SetVirtualCount and Convert. It displays the textual representation of numbers from 1-900000. It may be a candidate for inclusion in the reference dir, since there are no examples for ArrayCtrl with virtual rows.
  • Attachment: BigArray.zip
    (Size: 1.14KB, Downloaded 2241 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 04 February 2006 11:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #840 is a reply to message #839] Sat, 04 February 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Good idea. I have changed it a little

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

static String sNumberAsText(int number)
{
	static const char * const digits[20] = {
		"", "one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight", "nine",
		"ten", "eleven", "twelve", "thirteen", "fourteen", "fifteen", "sixteen",
		"seventeen", "eighteen", "nineteen"
	};
	static const char * const tens[10] = {
		"", "ten", "twenty", "thirty", "fourty", "fifty", "sixty", "seventy", "eighty", "ninety"
	};

if(number < 20)
		return digits[number];
	if(number < 100)
		return tens[number / 10] + String(" ") + sNumberAsText(number % 10);
	if(number < 1000)
		return digits[number / 100] + String(" hundred ") + sNumberAsText(number % 100);
	if(number < 1000000)
		return sNumberAsText(number / 1000) + " thousand, " + sNumberAsText(number % 1000);
	return "";
}

struct NumberToText : public Convert {
	virtual Value  Format(const Value& q) const {
		int n = q;
		return n == 0 ? String("zero") : sNumberAsText(n);
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	ArrayCtrl array;
	array.AddRowNumColumn("number", 20);
	array.AddRowNumColumn("text", 80).SetConvert(Single<NumberToText>());
	array.SetVirtualCount(900000);
	TopWindow win;
	win.Zoomable().Sizeable();
	win.Add(array.SizePos());
	win.Run();
}

and saved as reference/VirtualArray.

Note that some issues you have done in a little bit complicated way - I am not sure whether you wanted to demostrate other things, however I decided to use to smallest possible code (as I always try for reference examples).

Mirek
Re: large ArrayCtrl [message #842 is a reply to message #840] Sat, 04 February 2006 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
This was part of the code that is now written in a shorter form.
array.AddRowNumColumn("number");
array.AddRowNumColumn("text");
array.HeaderTab(0).SetRatio(20);
array.HeaderTab(1).SetRatio(80);
array.ColumnAt(1).SetConvert(numberToText);
I see that the current internal logic of the ArrayCtrl makes it necessary to provide two different methods ColumnAt and HeaderTab which return a different types. But it is hard to remember which method (ColumnAt or HeaderTab) and type (ArrayCtrl::Column or HeaderCtrl::Column) can be used to set/modify/query a specific property of the column. It would be better for the clients to have a single method returning a an object which could be used to manipuate all aspects of the column. I think the naming of these two methods just add to the confusion - both of them are returning a different Column type, but only one is called ColumnAt. Maybe the ArrayCtrl::Column could be extended with all the methods of HeaderCtrl::Column, and those would just forward the call to the HeaderCtrl.

During the development of this example, I found a bug: Assist was not working correctly in the inline constructor of BigArray. It only offered the code completions that are valid in the namespace scope. I believe you can reproduce this if you create a new project with my original example.
Re: large ArrayCtrl, virtual array count limits [message #19156 is a reply to message #840] Sat, 15 November 2008 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaynorwood is currently offline  jaynorwood
Promising Member
I'm experiencing limits in the VirtualArray example beyond which there is no refresh. It works for 100million, but not 200million virutal array count in its current form.

I attempted changing some parameters to int64, but the limit still occurs. Below is my modified code.

I'm a bit surprised at the 200 million limit. I thought perhaps a 2Gig limit in the original due to the signed int parameter range.

Aside from figuring out what this strange 200 million limit is about, I'd like to see the framework improved so that int64 ranges could be used throughout.

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

using namespace Upp;

static String sNumberAsText(int64 number)
{
static const char * const digits[20] = {
"", "one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight", "nine",
"ten", "eleven", "twelve", "thirteen", "fourteen", "fifteen", "sixteen",
"seventeen", "eighteen", "nineteen"
};
static const char * const tens[10] = {
"", "ten", "twenty", "thirty", "fourty", "fifty", "sixty", "seventy", "eighty", "ninety"
};

if(number < 20)
return digits[number];
if(number < 100)
return tens[number / 10] + String(" ") + sNumberAsText(number % 10);
if(number < 1000)
return digits[number / 100] + String(" hundred ") + sNumberAsText(number % 100);
if(number < 1000000)
return sNumberAsText(number / 1000) + " thousand, " + sNumberAsText(number % 1000);
if(number < 1000000000)
return sNumberAsText(number / 1000000) + " million, " + sNumberAsText(number % 1000000);
if(number < 1000000000000ULL)
return sNumberAsText(number / 1000000000) + " billion, " + sNumberAsText(number % 1000000000);
return "";
}

struct NumberToText : public Convert {
virtual Value Format(const Value& q) const {
int64 n = q;
return n == 0 ? String("zero") : sNumberAsText(n);
}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
ArrayCtrl array;
array.AddRowNumColumn("number", 20);
array.AddRowNumColumn("text", 100).SetConvert(Single<NumberToText>());
array.SetVirtualCount(200000000);
TopWindow win;
win.Zoomable().Sizeable();
win.Add(array.SizePos());
win.Run();
}
Re: large ArrayCtrl, virtual array count limits [message #19172 is a reply to message #19156] Sun, 16 November 2008 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jaynorwood wrote on Sat, 15 November 2008 12:20

I'm experiencing limits in the VirtualArray example beyond which there is no refresh. It works for 100million, but not 200million virutal array count in its current form.

Well, not that is I would call "pushing to the limits" Smile

Quote:

I'm a bit surprised at the 200 million limit. I thought perhaps a 2Gig limit in the original due to the signed int parameter range.

IMO, this is caused because of the height of line in pixels. That is about 15 pixels, means maximum is close to 2G / 15.

Quote:

Aside from figuring out what this strange 200 million limit is about, I'd like to see the framework improved so that int64 ranges could be used throughout.

Uh, that would work only as long as somebody does not decide to test int64 limits IMO.

Seriously, if your real world application needs 200 millions of lines in table TO BE PRESENTED AT ONCE, something is wrong with your UI design.

Also, realistically, any nontrivial usage would require those data to come from somewhere, and that would take eons.

Making these limits int64 would meant making EVERYTHING 64bit, with ugly impacts on code compactness and speed.

Mirek
Re: large ArrayCtrl, virtual array count limits [message #19174 is a reply to message #19172] Sun, 16 November 2008 20:47 Go to previous message
jaynorwood is currently offline  jaynorwood
Promising Member
Well, we have a large database ... perhaps 4G records ... being generated from microprocessor trace data, and I thought perhaps your virtual array control could be used as a front end to move around in the data in a flat mode. This limitation on the scrolling range seems rather arbitrary with as much template parameter support as there is in other areas of the code. I don't see why the scrolling limits couldn't be just another template parameter.

I seem to recall that eclipse jface or swt even supports bignum scrolling ranges with their virtual array, so it isn't like this is an out of the ordinary expectation for the virtual array.
Previous Topic: HomeBudget or DropGrid bug (svn 634)?
Next Topic: Scroll bars and grid ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:57:01 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02029 seconds