FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW
MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW [message #9159] Thu, 19 April 2007 16:31 Go to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member

I am stuck with developing an MS Windows device driver for an ancient piece of ISA hardware. My questions to the forum are:

* has anyone developed device drivers usinging MinGW?

* has anyone done this using U++?

* has anyone had luck with using U++ with MSVC 6.0?

One expert opinion is that I have to use MSVC/SDK/DDK to develop the driver. He's probable correct, but I noticed that U++ specifically has setup links for the SDK. The reason I ask about MSVC-6.0 is that quite a number of programmers I know that have to do non-trivial programming on Windows prefer the older compilers over the latest .Net toolkit. Last, if I can use MinGW instead of MSVC* I can distribute the code without ever having to wory about licensing and support issues...

EBo --
Re: MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW [message #9161 is a reply to message #9159] Thu, 19 April 2007 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Thu, 19 April 2007 10:31

MSVC 6.0 has way to broken C++ to compile U++ (in fact, it was developed before C++ standard was released).

That said, U++ was initially developed using MSVC 6.0, but since then, language constructs were added/fixed like member templates and it is no more possible to compile with 6.0.

Mirek
Re: MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW [message #9171 is a reply to message #9161] Thu, 19 April 2007 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 19 April 2007 09:49

ebojd wrote on Thu, 19 April 2007 10:31

MSVC 6.0 has way to broken C++ to compile U++ (in fact, it was developed before C++ standard was released).

That said, U++ was initially developed using MSVC 6.0, but since then, language constructs were added/fixed like member templates and it is no more possible to compile with 6.0.

Thanks. Yep, I've had a couple of projects that seriously broke when C++99 standard was finally implemented.

Maybe someone knows about the MinGW/Win-XP device driver issue Wink

EBo --
Re: MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW [message #9185 is a reply to message #9171] Fri, 20 April 2007 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Thu, 19 April 2007 16:02

Maybe someone knows about the MinGW/Win-XP device driver issue Wink

EBo --

I would not hold my breath. I think your best chance is Windows SDK (contains the compiler too).

Mirek
Re: MS Win-XP device drivers, U++, and MinGW [message #9192 is a reply to message #9185] Fri, 20 April 2007 14:26 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
No, I am not holding my breath (that would bring a whole new meaning to the "blue screen of death"), and I've been fighting with some install problem with the SDK install giving a fatal error whilst trying to patch a file in the documentation that does not exist... I hate microsoft products...

EBo --
Previous Topic: "Anonymous Coward"
Next Topic: make U++ more elegant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:50:41 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01514 seconds