Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Painter refactored/optimized
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50559 is a reply to message #50558] Thu, 15 November 2018 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

The difference is so large that it makes me wonder if ST allocates/resets any rasterizers at all on the fly?

Could the number of rendering threads be pre-selected and a sufficient number of rasterizers be pre-allocated for MT so that there would be no extra allocation/reset -penalty for re-using the same BufferPainter -- as was just introduced by BufferPainter::Create?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50560 is a reply to message #50559] Thu, 15 November 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 11:43
Hi,

The difference is so large that it makes me wonder if ST allocates/resets any rasterizers at all on the fly?

The difference is that ST has just one rasterizer Smile

Quote:

Could the number of rendering threads be pre-selected and a sufficient number of rasterizers be pre-allocated for MT so that there would be no extra allocation/reset -penalty for re-using the same BufferPainter -- as was just introduced by BufferPainter::Create?

Perhaps, but let me try those optimizations I have in mind first...

(Note that while the ST/MT ratio is horrible, it is still <ms for both mt and st... I guess that if you would add that Clear into time, difference would be much less).

Mirek
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50561 is a reply to message #50560] Thu, 15 November 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

You say <ms??? ... you mean below one millisecond for MT??? I get something like 16 ms for MT and 300 us for ST... Confused What exactly are your readings?

I bet your hardware is Superb! Mine is Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz (4C/8T). Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Compiled with MSBT17x64.

Do you have anything this old to test with?

Best regards,

Tom

[Updated on: Thu, 15 November 2018 12:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50562 is a reply to message #50561] Thu, 15 November 2018 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 12:14
Hi,

You say <ms??? ... you mean below one millisecond for MT??? I get something like 16 ms for MT and 300 us for ST... Confused What exactly are your readings?

I bet your hardware is Superb! Mine is Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz (4C/8T). Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Compiled with MSBT17x64.

Do you have anything this old to test with?

Best regards,

Tom

Nope, that is just difference in testing, sorry, I have adopted it to my development package (which is benchmarks/LionBenchmark). There I am testing by repeatedly doing the paint, with the same BufferPainter, until I spend 1 second, then compute the time based on number of renders achieved.

It is sort of similar to having single global BufferPainter.

My numbers with your example are about the same for ST and half for MT - at least, those 8 cores show up Smile

Now if I insert some bechmarking code, it is obvious that those 8 ms in MT are spend by allocating / initializing memory...

Mirek
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50563 is a reply to message #50562] Thu, 15 November 2018 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, I have just found that I have accidentally deleted that precious initialized memory in Create. So the new version is in the trunk. Changing your example with global BufferPainter now shows some pretty significant gains:

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>
#include <Painter/Painter.h>

using namespace Upp;

class PainterBench : public TopWindow {
public:
	Painting p;
	FileSel fs;
	BufferPainter bpainter;

void Open(){
		if(fs.ExecuteOpen("Select a painting to view")){
			p.Clear();
			p.Serialize(FileIn(fs.Get()));
		}
	}

virtual bool Key(dword key, int count){
		Refresh();
		switch(key){
			case K_CTRL_O:
				Open();
				return true;
		}
		return false;
	}

typedef PainterBench CLASSNAME;

PainterBench(){
		Sizeable();

p.Serialize(FileIn("C:/xxx/PainteTest/SomeRocks.painting"));
	}

virtual void Paint(Draw &draw){
		int64 STtiming=0;
		int64 MTtiming=0;

ImageBuffer ib(GetSize());
		{
			bpainter.Create(ib);
			bpainter.Co(true);
			bpainter.PreClipDashed();
			bpainter.Clear(White());
			bpainter.EvenOdd();

int64 t0=usecs();
			bpainter.Paint(p);
			int64 t1=usecs();
			MTtiming=t1-t0;

bpainter.Finish();
		}
		{
			bpainter.Create(ib);
			bpainter.Co(false);
			bpainter.PreClipDashed();
			bpainter.Clear(White());
			bpainter.EvenOdd();

int64 t0=usecs();
			bpainter.Paint(p);
			int64 t1=usecs();
			STtiming=t1-t0;

bpainter.Finish();
		}

SetSurface(draw,Rect(ib.GetSize()),ib,ib.GetSize(),Point(0,0));

double gain=(double)STtiming/(double)(0.1+MTtiming); // Avoid div by zero
		Title(Format("Rendering MT took %lld us, ST took %lld us, MT gain is %.2f",MTtiming,STtiming,gain));
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	PainterBench().Run();
}

[Updated on: Thu, 15 November 2018 12:41]

Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50564 is a reply to message #50563] Thu, 15 November 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi!

Yes it indeed does. But even better: Now my real application rendering vector maps shows for the first time in MT Painter history consistent and significant MT/ST rendering speed gains of about 2.5x on the average with real data! Smile

Thank you Mirek very much! You really Rock!

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50565 is a reply to message #50564] Thu, 15 November 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

One minor issue: When in Paint with global BufferPainter and only calling bufferpainter.Create(ib); the rendered area does not change to current ib size. (E.g. After maximizing the window the bufferpainter will only render on the initial initial ib area leaving the rest white.) I need to additionally call bufferpainter.Co(true or false); to get the bufferpainter work on the current ib size.

This is not a problem for me, but maybe it would be more appropriate to handle the resizing in Create somehow.

Best regards,

Tom

[Updated on: Thu, 15 November 2018 13:26]

Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50566 is a reply to message #50565] Thu, 15 November 2018 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 13:23
Hi,

One minor issue: When in Paint with global BufferPainter and only calling bufferpainter.Create(ib); the rendered area does not change to current ib size. (E.g. After maximizing the window the bufferpainter will only render on the initial initial ib area leaving the rest white.) I need to additionally call bufferpainter.Co(true or false); to get the bufferpainter work on the current ib size.

This is not a problem for me, but maybe it would be more appropriate to handle the resizing in Create somehow.

Best regards,

Tom

Ops, thats a bug. Fix in trunk, hopefully...
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50567 is a reply to message #50566] Thu, 15 November 2018 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
And Yes! It works!

Thanks and best regards,

Tom
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50569 is a reply to message #50567] Fri, 16 November 2018 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

While on the subject, I decided to do some testing of thread count for MT Painter. What I found was interesting: My typical map renders at roughly 250 ms with ST and 100 ms with default 10 thread MT. (On my hardware CPU_Cores() returns 8 and CoWork initializes a thread pool of 10 threads.)

So I tampered a little bit with CoWork.cpp, trying with different thread counts:

int CoWork::GetPoolSize()
{
	int n = GetPool().threads.GetCount();
//	return n ? n : CPU_Cores() + 2;
	return n ? n : 4;
}

CoWork::Pool::Pool()
{
	ASSERT(!IsWorker());

//	InitThreads(CPU_Cores() + 2);
	InitThreads(4);

free = NULL;
	for(int i = 0; i < SCHEDULED_MAX; i++)
		Free(slot[i]);

quit = false;
}

In this test I ended up with four threads which yield about same performance as 10 threads. When dropping to three threads or below, the MT gain started to fade away.

I think the optimal thread count for CoWork depends on the job's balance of CPU load and memory bandwidth. Also, the CPU and memory bus design changes this balance. As the new CPUs tend to offer a lot of cores (and concurrent threads), a simple or well optimized algorithm will easily saturate the memory channels with a reasonably small subset of cores being used. I'm not sure though, if there is much point in reducing threads (and therefore freeing cores for other tasks), if the memory bus will remain saturated anyway.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50570 is a reply to message #50569] Fri, 16 November 2018 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
IMO, that is to be expected, as it is really 4C CPU...

10 threads default number for CoWork takes into account that perhaps some threads will do blocking operations (e.g. files). And in some workloads, hyperthreading has benefits.

That said, it is true that it would be nice to detect that threads are "wasted", but I am not sure how to do that...

Mirek
Re: Painter refactored/optimized [message #50571 is a reply to message #50570] Fri, 16 November 2018 12:57 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

IMO your default "CPU logical cores + 2" is a well considered compromise to keep the CPU working full time without wasting much resources. No worries.

Best regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: Jsonize/Xmlize with lambda (and common template example)
Next Topic: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:08:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01060 seconds