Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Assist autocompletion list incomplete in 12567 nightly (Win64 host with mingw) (Assist not working correctly - possibly a noob goofup)
Assist autocompletion list incomplete in 12567 nightly (Win64 host with mingw) [message #50605] Sun, 25 November 2018 22:09 Go to next message
xrysf03 is currently offline  xrysf03
Dear U++ authors and fellow users,

I'm a noob to U++, I've only been playing with it today, on a Win64 host with mingw.

After some initial difficulties, during the afternoon I've been running U++ in two versions side by side: the 2018.1 release (=rev. 11873) and a recent nightly rev. 12567 (did not check out the src from SVN, as the built-in checkout tool didn't seem to work). I created two folders called upp_RevNr under C:\Program Files\. To be sure, for problem reproduction, I've erased my earlier attempts and started over from scratch = unpacked the two distribution 7z archives into empty directories and clicked my way through the "new package" creation in either version.

See the attached two screenshots.

In either version of TheIDE, I have created a new GUI project, from the template called "CtrlLib application with main window". And I'm trying "assist" within the main window class (any method, e.g. the constructor will do), starting with this->, trying to get a list of all the relevant members (variables and methods).

In the 12567 nightly, "assist" = the hinting/autocompletion engine, appears to miss some parent classes in the hierarchy, as a result of which the "autocompletion hints list" is pretty short in 12567. In 2018.1 release, the hints list is like two pages long, and contains e.g. the method Title(), used to set the main window title bar text. In 12567, the method Title() does not get listed among the hints. But, if I use the method in code, the program does compile+link and the Title() method clearly works.

I've tried comparing the config of Assist within TheIDE in both U++ versions and it is the same...

Any ideas are welcome. If this is a noob question, I am neither surprised nor offended Smile

I sure am amazed at how complex and powerful U++ is. It's a revelation to me.
  • Attachment: assist.zip
    (Size: 172.41KB, Downloaded 188 times)
Re: Assist autocompletion list incomplete in 12567 nightly (Win64 host with mingw) [message #50615 is a reply to message #50605] Mon, 26 November 2018 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
xrysf03 wrote on Sun, 25 November 2018 22:09
Dear U++ authors and fellow users,

I'm a noob to U++, I've only been playing with it today, on a Win64 host with mingw.

After some initial difficulties, during the afternoon I've been running U++ in two versions side by side: the 2018.1 release (=rev. 11873) and a recent nightly rev. 12567 (did not check out the src from SVN, as the built-in checkout tool didn't seem to work). I created two folders called upp_RevNr under C:\Program Files\. To be sure, for problem reproduction, I've erased my earlier attempts and started over from scratch = unpacked the two distribution 7z archives into empty directories and clicked my way through the "new package" creation in either version.

See the attached two screenshots.

In either version of TheIDE, I have created a new GUI project, from the template called "CtrlLib application with main window". And I'm trying "assist" within the main window class (any method, e.g. the constructor will do), starting with this->, trying to get a list of all the relevant members (variables and methods).

In the 12567 nightly, "assist" = the hinting/autocompletion engine, appears to miss some parent classes in the hierarchy, as a result of which the "autocompletion hints list" is pretty short in 12567. In 2018.1 release, the hints list is like two pages long, and contains e.g. the method Title(), used to set the main window title bar text. In 12567, the method Title() does not get listed among the hints. But, if I use the method in code, the program does compile+link and the Title() method clearly works.

I've tried comparing the config of Assist within TheIDE in both U++ versions and it is the same...

Any ideas are welcome. If this is a noob question, I am neither surprised nor offended Smile

I sure am amazed at how complex and powerful U++ is. It's a revelation to me.

Should be now fixed. The reason why this happened: Assist++ is semiheuristic for several reasons. There is some really convoluted code in CtrlCore to support various platform (Linux, Win32). We are now working on MacOS X support and the new code got Assist++ confused... (namespace issue).

Now in trunk, should be in nightly tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing this out, I would probably be missed otherwise.

Mirek
Re: Assist autocompletion list incomplete in 12567 nightly (Win64 host with mingw) [message #50616 is a reply to message #50615] Mon, 26 November 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Always glad to help Smile especially to the genuine wizard himself.
Yes I've read about "Assist" on the project website and I have a faint idea about the challenges of "hinting" on the fly, I recall the years of debate around this kind of thing in the VIM.
I wish I could get this sort of response time for commercial software and hardware that I have to support.

Frank
Re: Assist autocompletion list incomplete in 12567 nightly (Win64 host with mingw) [message #50788 is a reply to message #50605] Tue, 18 December 2018 22:01 Go to previous message
BTW I've just checked in 12610 nightly that Assist autocompletion works like a charm again. Thank you Smile
Frank
Previous Topic: Delete modeless TopWindow based object created with new
Next Topic: Unicode support is now pretty seamless, right?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:45:55 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01609 seconds