Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Draw, Display, Images, Bitmaps, Icons » Strange issue with text in Painter
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50920 is a reply to message #50919] Mon, 14 January 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 11:52
This shows the problem:
BR, Tom

Now that is crazy, is not it? Smile

Must be some overlooked undefined behaviour somewhere.
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50921 is a reply to message #50916] Mon, 14 January 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 12:41
Thinking about it, I have suspiction that maybe RawPickToValue might have to do something with all that...

What about this:

struct sMakeGlyph : LRUCache<String, GlyphKey>::Maker {
	GlyphKey gk;

GlyphKey Key() const     { return gk; }
	int      Make(String& v) const {
		GlyphPainter gp;
		gp.move = gp.pos = Null;
		gp.tolerance = gk.tolerance;
		PaintCharacter(gp, Pointf(0, 0), gk.chr, gk.fnt);
		int sz = gp.glyph.GetCount() * 4;
		v.Set((char *)gp.glyph.begin(), sizeof(float) * gp.glyph.GetCount());
		return sz;
	}
};

void ApproximateChar(LinearPathConsumer& t, Pointf at, int ch, Font fnt, double tolerance)
{
	PAINTER_TIMING("ApproximateChar");
	String v;
	INTERLOCKED {
		PAINTER_TIMING("ApproximateChar::Fetch");
		static LRUCache<String, GlyphKey> cache;
		cache.Shrink(500000);
		sMakeGlyph h;
		h.gk.fnt = fnt;
		h.gk.chr = ch;
		h.gk.tolerance = tolerance;
		v = cache.Get(h);
	}
	int i = 0;
	int count = v.GetCount() / sizeof(float);
	const float *g = (const float *)~v;
	while(i < count) {
		Pointf p;
		p.x = g[i++];
		if(p.x > 1e30) {
			p.x = g[i++];
			p.y = g[i++];
			t.Move(p + at);
		}
		else {
			PAINTER_TIMING("ApproximateChar::Line");
			p.y = g[i++];
			t.Line(p + at);
		}
	}
}

The problem is still there with the above code.

BR, Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50922 is a reply to message #50921] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Are you 100% sure that there is no other thread running using Painter (perhaps painting something entirely different) or maybe even Draw or Font? No background threads?

Mirek
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50924 is a reply to message #50922] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Have you tried this on another computer? (Blaming HW is the last thing I usually do, but this is way too weird...)

Mirek
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50925 is a reply to message #50924] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
As the difference IMO amounts to some waste CPU cycles only, maybe we could try to insert some small delay instead of RenderCharacterSys2....
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50926 is a reply to message #50922] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
According to Windows Task Manager, there are 30 threads running on this process. But my GUI is simply running on main thread. There should be nothing graphical going on in any of my background threads.

Here's an interesting part: I said previously that ST/MT in Painter did not make any difference. Well, it did not when I had started the program originally with Painter MT enabled and then switched 'live' to ST to test for the error effect. BUT: Now I started with Painter fixed in ST and: Error is gone... Sounds like in my original MT/ST test the font caching in Painter had already happened in MT before I switched it to ST.

I need to dig deeper on this.

BR, Tom

Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50927 is a reply to message #50924] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 13:14
Have you tried this on another computer? (Blaming HW is the last thing I usually do, but this is way too weird...)

Mirek

Need to try that too.
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50928 is a reply to message #50926] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 12:21
According to Windows Task Manager, there are 30 threads running on this process. But my GUI is simply running on main thread. There should be nothing graphical going on in any of my background threads.

Here's an interesting part: I said previously that ST/MT in Painter did not make any difference. Well, it did not when I had started the program originally with Painter MT enabled and then switched 'live' to ST to test for the error effect. BUT: Now I started with Painter fixed in ST and: Error is gone... Sounds like in my original MT/ST test the font caching in Painter had already happened in MT before I switched it to ST.

I need to dig deeper on this.

BR, Tom

Well, that makes better sense - as the only possible difference there seem to be the delay, this would point to some sort of race condition. Probably the wrong glyph was cached BEFORE ST was activated....

Maybe there is a problem with INTERLOCKED. Can you try to replace it with explicit mutex?

Mirek
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50929 is a reply to message #50928] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Replaced INTERLOCKED with StaticMutex, but no change... I Will continue testing.

BR, Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50930 is a reply to message #50929] Mon, 14 January 2019 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Try this pls:

Buffer<ClippingLine> BufferPainter::RenderPath(double width, Event<One<SpanSource>&> ss, const RGBA& color)
{
	PAINTER_TIMING("RenderPath");
	Buffer<ClippingLine> newclip;

if(width == FILL)
		Close();

current = Null;

if(width == 0 || !ss && color.a == 0 && width >= FILL)
		return newclip;

if(pathattr.mtx_serial != preclip_mtx_serial) {
		if(dopreclip) {
			Pointf tl, br, a;
			Xform2D imx = Inverse(pathattr.mtx);
			tl = br = imx.Transform(0, 0);
			a = imx.Transform(size.cx, 0);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			a = imx.Transform(0, size.cy);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			a = imx.Transform(size.cx, size.cy);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			preclip = Rectf(tl, br);
		}
		else
			preclip = Null;
		regular = pathattr.mtx.IsRegular();
		preclip_mtx_serial = pathattr.mtx_serial;
	}

if(co) {
		if(width >= FILL && !ss && !alt && findarg(mode, MODE_ANTIALIASED, MODE_SUBPIXEL) >= 0 && !path_info->ischar) {

(The difference is && !path_info->ischar in the last line).

Also, is there a difference DEBUG vs RELEASE?
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50931 is a reply to message #50924] Mon, 14 January 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 13:14

Mirek

Tried with my old reliable notebook, but it's the same.

BR, Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50932 is a reply to message #50930] Mon, 14 January 2019 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:23
Try this pls:

Buffer<ClippingLine> BufferPainter::RenderPath(double width, Event<One<SpanSource>&> ss, const RGBA& color)
{
	PAINTER_TIMING("RenderPath");
	Buffer<ClippingLine> newclip;

if(width == FILL)
		Close();

current = Null;

if(width == 0 || !ss && color.a == 0 && width >= FILL)
		return newclip;

if(pathattr.mtx_serial != preclip_mtx_serial) {
		if(dopreclip) {
			Pointf tl, br, a;
			Xform2D imx = Inverse(pathattr.mtx);
			tl = br = imx.Transform(0, 0);
			a = imx.Transform(size.cx, 0);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			a = imx.Transform(0, size.cy);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			a = imx.Transform(size.cx, size.cy);
			tl = min(a, tl);
			br = max(a, br);
			preclip = Rectf(tl, br);
		}
		else
			preclip = Null;
		regular = pathattr.mtx.IsRegular();
		preclip_mtx_serial = pathattr.mtx_serial;
	}

if(co) {
		if(width >= FILL && !ss && !alt && findarg(mode, MODE_ANTIALIASED, MODE_SUBPIXEL) >= 0 && !path_info->ischar) {

(The difference is && !path_info->ischar in the last line).

Also, is there a difference DEBUG vs RELEASE?

In RELEASE mode I could not find a single bad letter in 15 minutes. I think this is it!

Will try now with DEBUG...

BR, Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50933 is a reply to message #50932] Mon, 14 January 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Not a single false character in DEBUG mode either. Smile

I should have found something already if the problem still existed.

So, is this the fix or means for problem isolation?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50934 is a reply to message #50933] Mon, 14 January 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 14:11
Not a single false character in DEBUG mode either. Smile

I should have found something already if the problem still existed.

So, is this the fix or means for problem isolation?

Best regards,

Tom

This basically disables MT for character rendering...

So for now, please revert it and try two separate things for me:

void Painter::TextOp(const Pointf& p, const wchar *text, Font fnt, int n, const double *dx)
{
	if(n == 0) {
		Move(0, 0);
		return;
	}
	FontInfo fi = fnt.Info();
	double x = p.x;
	while(n) {
		int ch = *text++;
		Character(x, p.y, ch, fnt);
//		Div();
		if(dx)
			x += *dx++;
		else
			x += fi[ch];
		n--;
	}
	if(fnt.IsUnderline() || fnt.IsStrikeout()) {
		double a = fnt.GetAscent();
		double cy = max(a / 16, 1.0);
		double cx = x - p.x;
		if(fnt.IsUnderline())
			Rectangle(p.x, p.y + a + cy, cx, cy);
		if(fnt.IsStrikeout())
			Rectangle(p.x, p.y + 2 * a / 3, cx, cy);
	}
}

(This might lead to some new artifacts where characters overlap, that is expected, look for the original problem (wrong characters).

void BufferPainter::RenderPathSegments(LinearPathConsumer *g, const Vector<byte>& path,
                                       const SimpleAttr *attr, double tolerance)
{
	Pointf pos = Pointf(0, 0);
	const byte *data = path.begin();
	const byte *end = path.end();
	while(data < end) {
		const LinearData *d = (LinearData *)data;
		switch(d->type) {
		case MOVE: {
			g->Move(pos = attr ? attr->mtx.Transform(d->p) : d->p);
			data += sizeof(LinearData);
			break;
		}
		case LINE: {
			PAINTER_TIMING("LINE");
			g->Line(pos = attr ? attr->mtx.Transform(d->p) : d->p);
			data += sizeof(LinearData);
			break;
		}
		case QUADRATIC: {
			PAINTER_TIMING("QUADRATIC");
			const QuadraticData *d = (QuadraticData *)data;
			if(attr) {
				Pointf p = attr->mtx.Transform(d->p);
				ApproximateQuadratic(*g, pos, attr->mtx.Transform(d->p1), p, tolerance);
				pos = p;
			}
			else {
				ApproximateQuadratic(*g, pos, d->p1, d->p, tolerance);
				pos = d->p;
			}
			data += sizeof(QuadraticData);
			break;
		}
		case CUBIC: {
			PAINTER_TIMING("CUBIC");
			const CubicData *d = (CubicData *)data;
			if(attr) {
				Pointf p = attr->mtx.Transform(d->p);
				ApproximateCubic(*g, pos, attr->mtx.Transform(d->p1),
				                 attr->mtx.Transform(d->p2), p, tolerance);
				pos = p;
			}
			else {
				ApproximateCubic(*g, pos, d->p1, d->p2, d->p, tolerance);
				pos = d->p;
			}
			data += sizeof(CubicData);
			break;
		}
		case CHAR: {
			const CharData *ch = (CharData *)data;
			INTERLOCKED ApproximateChar(*g, ch->p, ch->ch, ch->fnt, tolerance);
			data += sizeof(CharData);
			break;
		}
		default:
			NEVER();
			g->End();
			return;
		}
	}
	g->End();
}

(Additional mutex in for CHAR).

Thanks,

Mirek

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50935 is a reply to message #50934] Mon, 14 January 2019 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Neither of the above help... false letters can still be found.

BR, Tom

Update: I see you updated something in posting. I need to re-test.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 15:19]

Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50936 is a reply to message #50935] Mon, 14 January 2019 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
OK, now it looks like "void Painter::TextOp(const Pointf& p, const wchar *text, Font fnt, int n, const double *dx)" -fix would correct the issue.

The other does not have any effect.

BR, Tom

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 15:35]

Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50937 is a reply to message #50936] Mon, 14 January 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
No, false positive. The problem is still there even after the "void Painter::TextOp(const Pointf& p, const wchar *text, Font fnt, int n, const double *dx)" -fix.

BR, Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50938 is a reply to message #50937] Mon, 14 January 2019 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 15:38
No, false positive. The problem is still there even after the "void Painter::TextOp(const Pointf& p, const wchar *text, Font fnt, int n, const double *dx)" -fix.

BR, Tom

Well, for today I am out of ideas.... Will continue tomorrow, OK?

Perhaps one last question: This probably must have started recently, probably after the last round of optimizations. Is that correct?

Mirek
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50939 is a reply to message #50938] Mon, 14 January 2019 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Yes, I'm also out of time for today. Tomorrow I will have time until about 14:00 EET.

The first time I noticed this was just last week when I reported it. I had not updated from SVN in a while before that though, so I may need to go back a bit further in time to find that.

One potential reason for finding this issue is that I had just recently reached a point in my own code where I started to rotate the texts according to the original scale and rotation, both of which change constantly over the projection surface for maps where a change from one map projection to another has been carried out.

In effect this has caused an overwhelming increase in cached fonts here in my application. I think the reason is that when tolerance changes even by the smallest fraction of a double, it necessitates a new cache entry. In my case there will be a huge amount of cache entries. Actually, if the tolerance parameter were made more discrete, e.g. through classing to slots for caching, the problem might not show up at all or at least do it extremely rarely. Then again, I think, the potential issue with caching should be corrected first, if real, and only thereafter should the optimization through classing be implemented.

I might have it all wrong here, but this is just a thought.

Anyway, Mirek, thanks for your efforts today on the task!

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Strange issue with text in Painter [message #50940 is a reply to message #50939] Mon, 14 January 2019 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 17:21
One potential reason for finding this issue is that I had just recently reached a point in my own code where I started to rotate the texts according to the original scale and rotation, both of which change constantly over the projection surface for maps where a change from one map projection to another has been carried out.

In effect this has caused an overwhelming increase in cached fonts here in my application.

Rotated texts in Painter are rotated by Painter matrix, they are cached in zero angle position...

Anyway, good info, I will think about this all...

Mirek
Previous Topic: MT + Subpixel appear incompatible in Painter
Next Topic: Painter: Excessive memory usage in PainterExamples moving window to edges of screen.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:55:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01846 seconds