Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal..
ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51014] Wed, 16 January 2019 16:09 Go to next message
luoganda is currently offline  luoganda
Experienced Member
Ok, here is attached code from original ScrollView.
I want to scroll screen buffer left - then rewrite what's left.
Explanations are in the sample code.
Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51067 is a reply to message #51014] Thu, 17 January 2019 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
also,
there is a small "typo" on linux platform,
ImageDraw::GetStraight() <== has no definition, while declaration is in drawHeaders
Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51068 is a reply to message #51014] Thu, 17 January 2019 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
ok, i wrote a small ImageDraw helper utility,
this somehow works, but it's slowwwww..
Any improvements here or suggestions are welcome.

Also - i recommend adding GetSize() to ImageDraw, to get Width/Height without getting image itself overhead.

class SMXImageDraw{
	ImageDraw *id=NULL;
	public:
	~SMXImageDraw(){Clear();}
	void Set(int w,int h){Clear();id=new ImageDraw(w,h);}
	void Clear(){if(!id)return;delete id;id=NULL;}
	void ScrollImageX(int x); //does (quick)x sanity checks
	ImageDraw &Get(){return *id;}
	bool Empty(){return id==NULL;}
};

void SMXImageDraw::ScrollImageX(int x){
	int absx=abs(x);
	if(x==0||!id/*||absx>=id->GetSize().cx*/)return; // <== here, ImageDraw::GetSize() could come handy
	Image img=(Image)*id;//->GetStraight();
	if(absx>=img.GetWidth())return;
	int nx=x<0?0:x;
	id->DrawImage(nx,0,img,Rect((x<0?absx:0),0,nx+(img.GetWidth()-(x<0?0:absx)),img.GetHeight()));
}

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2019 19:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51084 is a reply to message #51068] Tue, 22 January 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am about to deprecate ScrollView, with modern systems this has little advantage. Soon it will just call Refresh for backward compatibility.
Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51093 is a reply to message #51084] Tue, 22 January 2019 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I'm still using it in a product for scrolling a histogram plot on X11 and WinXP clients. For WinVista, Win7, Win8 and Win10 I have implemented a dual ::SetSurface() method for similar scrolling effect. (The reason for two approaches is obtaining the optimal performance on each platform.)

If you are not in hurry with it, maybe you could keep it there for a few more years... (?)

It's not a must for me though. I can use the current U++ for those old systems (still in use by our clients) until they are phased out and replaced with new ones.

Best regards,

Tom

Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51094 is a reply to message #51093] Tue, 22 January 2019 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 15:34
Hi,

I'm still using it in a product for scrolling a histogram plot on X11 and WinXP clients. For WinVista, Win7, Win8 and Win10 I have implemented a dual ::SetSurface() method for similar scrolling effect. (The reason for two approaches is obtaining the optimal performance on each platform.)

If you are not in hurry with it, maybe you could keep it there for a few more years... (?)

It's not a must for me though. I can use the current U++ for those old systems (still in use by our clients) until they are phased out and replaced with new ones.

I am in no hurry Smile That said, I think the time when scrolling the view was faster than repainting was like 10 years ago... With GTK and MacOS backends, it already is not implemented - it simply does Refresh.

Mirek

[Updated on: Tue, 22 January 2019 16:00]

Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51095 is a reply to message #51014] Tue, 22 January 2019 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
i didn't take measure for:
readrawing whole area vs just scrolling and drawing the rest, which is ideal for plotting software, but:

• simple optimized BitBlt for scrolling will be probably always faster that drawing fragmented old 's' patterned pixels along y axis
  • BitBlt is probably 2D hardware optimized func - even on most hardware, i don't know if this is true, but probably, i am not sure for SetPixel - although i don't know the workings itself in upp, how this is done. So this "point" may not apply here for optimizations.
  • SetPixel must do any math used in BitBlt, which BitBlt can probably do only once or at least less times - for example clipping
  • program becomes more complex for apps such as plotting, because it needs to allocate(more memory is eaten) and manage old pixels too, in this case storing and redrawing old pixels + new

Up is for windows BitBlt, but the same probably aplies for linux functions.

It would be handy that this is somehow available, if not in Ctrl itself, at least in Bazaar.
I agree that this could write someone else, not just core upp programmers..
Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51096 is a reply to message #51095] Tue, 22 January 2019 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
luoganda wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 18:22
i didn't take measure for:
readrawing whole area vs just scrolling and drawing the rest, which is ideal for plotting software, but:

[list type=circle]
[*] simple optimized BitBlt for scrolling will be probably always faster that drawing fragmented old 's' patterned pixels along y axis
[*] BitBlt is probably 2D hardware optimized func - even on most hardware, i don't know if this is true, but probably, i am not sure for SetPixel - although i don't know the workings itself in upp, how this is done. So this "point" may not apply here for optimizations.

There is no "2D hardware" remaining Smile All is GPU today.

That said, you might be right it is faster, but really hard to say. With scrolling you often need to clip a lot of things anyway.

Would nice if you had a chance to benchmark...

Mirek
Re: ScrollView - a question - maybe proposal.. [message #51097 is a reply to message #51014] Wed, 23 January 2019 10:40 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Quote:
There is no "2D hardware" remaining Smile All is GPU today.

Hmm, i didn't know that - something enlightening everyday.

I wrote a simple smt/eeg software viewer, which is through OpenEEG, but with current software for it, it doesn't work correctly.
This is what i am using scrolling - primary, because it's less complicated to do in this way.
Here are a couple of screenshots and a program, but for program one must have smt/eeg or a serialCom simulator.
Maybe a Refresh only ver would be ok to create, and testing the two.

Also, a good tutorial about why fftw like library is needed in the first place and how to plot that eeg signals to frequencies would be more than welcome, because i am not at home with fftw thing. But this is probably out of the scope of this thread, although any explanations and/or links are welcome.
Now, i just plot raw values that i get wia serialCom - with device format taken into consideration.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 February 2019 12:04]

Previous Topic: no resources | There were errors
Next Topic: cc1plus.exe: out of memory allocating 65536 bytes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:54:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01489 seconds