Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Macbook pro: what to buy?
Macbook pro: what to buy? [message #51290] Sat, 02 March 2019 21:00 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

it seems the port to Mac is finished and I want to buy a Macbook pro to compile my program.

The new macs are very expensive and I am planning to buy a second hand machine.

I wonder if an old macbook pro used to compile the program make some difference. For example a macbook pro 13 released in 2012 would impact negatively on my future work with U++? Should I buy a more recent nachine?

Thanks
Luigi
Re: Macbook pro: what to buy? [message #51293 is a reply to message #51290] Sun, 03 March 2019 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 21:00
Hello,

it seems the port to Mac is finished and I want to buy a Macbook pro to compile my program.

I wonder if an old macbook pro used to compile the program make some difference. For example a macbook pro 13 released in 2012 would impact negatively on my future work with U++? Should I buy a more recent nachine?

Thanks
Luigi

My 2 cents: I found macbook really not comfortable for programming, especially when switching with my main computer. Keyboard is weird, display too small. If I could go back, I would probably rather bought mac mini.

(Yes, I now have normal keyboard and normal mouse connected, but with recent macbooks, that requires various contraptions (adapters) to connect USB devices with USBC ports, so in the end my "MacOS table" is the ugly nest of wires...)

Other than that, make sure that it can run Mojave.

Mirek
Re: Macbook pro: what to buy? [message #51308 is a reply to message #51290] Mon, 04 March 2019 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
forlano wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 15:00

I'm using MacBook Mid 2012, 16GB, 4 cores, 15 inch. It works just fine. My old Windows laptop (2010, 16 GB, 4 cores) is pretty much dead because of the Windows (it takes about half an hour to just boot it). It is absolutely useless as a laptop. MacBook at the same time is just great as a portable machine. It can hold 4-8 hours of development activity.
Another thing. I'm often using VIM to edit text/code on laptops. This solves all problems with inconvenience of the keyboard.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Macbook pro: what to buy? [message #51309 is a reply to message #51308] Mon, 04 March 2019 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 18:32

This solves all problems with inconvenience of the keyboard.

Ah, that reminds me... 50% of my problems with keyboard are caused by the fact that I have bought MacBook with czech keyboard.

DO NOT DO THAT. Buy mac with english keyboard!

Thing is that while MacOS supports switching various keyboards, Apple probably considers adding 'red' characters with English meaning (those that are normally on at least all czech PC 102 key keyboards and on all notebook keyboard I have ever owned) bad design choice. So it sometimes takes me minutes to find out how to write some characters like '&' or '$'.

Mirek
Re: Macbook pro: what to buy? [message #51310 is a reply to message #51309] Mon, 04 March 2019 20:23 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 12:42

DO NOT DO THAT. Buy mac with english keyboard!

I'm personally always using English keyboard. Smile
The main advantage of VIM is that you need to press only one key simultaneously to do pretty much everything you need (probably, except of the Shift-key). There is no need for combinations like Ctrl-Shift-XXX, Ctrl/Shift-Insert, e.t.c.
That makes it a much more convenient tool to use with small keyboards like laptops.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Let's speak about Reflexion in C++
Next Topic: Good way to manage data without a database ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:57:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00984 seconds