FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Mac OS » Mac OSX: How to setup U++
Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51349] Wed, 13 March 2019 18:24 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello!

I am writing from my new mac mini 2014 Mojave. I switched to mac mini after reading our guru advice. It's a nice machine not expensive.

The question: what to do to setup a U++ workstation?

I need some hint and then I fill the gap... I can't wait to compile my application Cool

Thanks!
Luigi
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51358 is a reply to message #51349] Thu, 14 March 2019 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Useful links:

How to Install Command Line Tools in Mac OS X (Without Xcode)
Homebrew

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51361 is a reply to message #51358] Fri, 15 March 2019 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 14 March 2019 19:56
Useful links:

How to Install Command Line Tools in Mac OS X (Without Xcode)
Homebrew

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply.

After installing the previous tools I have downloaded the upp-macos.zip. It appeared in the folder Download as theide.app.
At the first run it required me to unlock something to let this external app to run. After it Theide appeared! Cool
I selected the HelloWorld package and it run without problem till the end (there were some warnings although). The HelloWorld app run as expected.

Then I created my MyApps folder with my packages. Then tried to compile one of my program. No success Shocked
In fact all previous assembly (example, bazaar, tutorial, uppsrc) disappeared... or at least became empty in Theide. I was not able to locate them.

Then I have deleted everything and started a fresh download again hoping to recreate the magic. But again Theide was not able to locate all others assembly. What am I missing?

The first thought is that the installation needs some improvement. Now I am trying to do something but whithout to know what to do exactly. Any hint would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Luigi

EDIT: I have used "Setup / Checkout SVN..." and then downloaded everything. The assembly appeared! Now I am trying to compile my program.
Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Fri, 15 March 2019 20:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51401 is a reply to message #51361] Thu, 21 March 2019 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I was able to compile my package (now testing it).

To compile X11 program I had to install Xquartz

https://www.xquartz.org/index.html

that provide a X11 replacement that is not included in Mojave.
Then I needed to run in the terminal the command

ln -s /opt/X11/include/X11 /usr/local/include/X11

to let the compiler find the files.
Then I needed to modify the include and library path in Theide to point correctly to the include and lib folder.

Luigi

edit: IGNORE THIS POST. XQuartz is not needed!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2019 22:54]

Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51442 is a reply to message #51401] Tue, 26 March 2019 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 22:07
Hello,

I still do not understand why X11. Admitedly there is some problem in u++/theide, but it would help me to know at what point did you came to conslusion that you need X11?

Have you got any errors when compiling? Or theide did not run without xquartz?

Mirek

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2019 08:22]

Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51445 is a reply to message #51442] Tue, 26 March 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
mirek wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 08:21
Hello,

I still do not understand why X11. Admitedly there is some problem in u++/theide, but it would help me to know at what point did you came to conslusion that you need X11?

Mirek

Theide run without Xquartz. The compilation of HelloWorld did not requested X11.

However, during compilation of my package, it complained about something related to X11. Then I believed it was the usual X11 and after googling I found that was absent and I needed Xquartz. Then I installed Xquartz and the compilation arrived till the end.
I compiled the same package that I used to compile under linux (and windows). Perhaps there was some flag inside the .upp file that confused clang or some package X11 dependent.

Maybe I restart the setting (removing Xquartz) to intercept the complain again?
Thanks,
Luigi
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51450 is a reply to message #51445] Tue, 26 March 2019 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 10:26
mirek wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 08:21
Hello,

Mirek

Theide run without Xquartz. The compilation of HelloWorld did not requested X11.

However, during compilation of my package, it complained about something related to X11. Then I believed it was the usual X11 and after googling I found that was absent and I needed Xquartz. Then I installed Xquartz and the compilation arrived till the end.
I compiled the same package that I used to compile under linux (and windows). Perhaps there was some flag inside the .upp file that confused clang or some package X11 dependent.

Maybe I restart the setting (removing Xquartz) to intercept the complain again?
Thanks,
Luigi

That would indeed be great. This is something we need to resolve...

Mirek
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51453 is a reply to message #51450] Tue, 26 March 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Solved! Cool

Removed XQuartz.

The problem was caused by the package "Office Automation" that in turn required the package "SysInfo".
It required a X11 library. The complain was caused just by this package. I have just removed SysInfo and the link arrived till the end.
There were many warnings. clang sometimes expected a struct instead of class or something similar.
So the problem was mine and not related to thieve.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Thanks,
Luigi
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51658 is a reply to message #51453] Tue, 23 April 2019 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
So now U++ works on Mac without X? This is both great and horrible news. Great for obvious reasons. Horrible because that is an extra platform I need to support Smile.

I'll give it a go on a virgin system after Easter...

Thank you for supporting everything that is out there!
Re: Mac OSX: How to setup U++ [message #51661 is a reply to message #51453] Wed, 24 April 2019 07:35 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
forlano wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 22:52
The problem was caused by the package "Office Automation" that in turn required the package "SysInfo".
It required a X11 library. The complain was caused just by this package. I have just removed SysInfo and the link arrived till the end.
There were many warnings. clang sometimes expected a struct instead of class or something similar.
So the problem was mine and not related to thieve.

Shocked

This is weird, as OfficeAutomation only works in MS Windows. To reinforce this, every cpp file begins with a #ifdef _WIN32

In the other hand, SysInfo link to X11 is strong and I do not have knowledge to extend it to systems apart from Windows or X11.

Best regards
IƱaki

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2019 07:38]

Previous Topic: How to set the icon App
Next Topic: Open a folder at runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:49:15 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01051 seconds