FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » A terminal emulator widget for U++
Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54364 is a reply to message #51415] Sun, 05 July 2020 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Terminal ctrl has seen a small but important update:

- Handling of incomplete/partial UTF-8 bytes is improved.

The parser now buffers the incomplete UTF-8 bytes encountered at the end of an incoming data chunk and flushes them with the next chunk.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sun, 05 July 2020 17:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54413 is a reply to message #51415] Tue, 14 July 2020 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Moving towards the v0.4, Terminal ctrl has gained a new feature:

- Application clipboard manipulation protocol (OSC 52) is implemented.

This optional feature grants clipboard read and write access to applications that supports OSC 52
OSC 52 is supported by many terminals, including xterm, and apps such as tmux.

However, this feature should be handled with care by the client code, as it may pose a security threat.

Terminal ctrl already takes some security measures though:

1) Terminal ctrl gives the client code a granular control over this protocol.

2) In compliance with the principle of least astonishment, the feature is disabled by default.

3) It will work IFF it is enabled && the ctrl instance has focus (to prevent spamming, etc.)

Accordingly, the API and specs docs are updated.

Best regards,

Oblivion

[Updated on: Tue, 14 July 2020 14:47]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54493 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 01 August 2020 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Aside from small updates, there were no news about Terminal ctrl for some time.

Here is a screenshot of the upcoming v0.4 (2020.2) of Terminal ctrl on Windows 10, scheduled to be published in October 2020:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6159&private=0

That's Windows powershell (tm) running natively on the basic terminal example, on Windows 10. Smile

This is possible because Windows 10 has a brand new pseudoconsole api. (Thus you can also run plain cmd.exe, or other console apps...)

I am implementing this in PtyProcess class, without requiring any API change, so the Terminal reference examples can be run without changing the code.

Hopefully, this will mature with v0.4.

Best regards,
Oblivion

• Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 61.01KB, Downloaded 803 times)

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54618 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 21 August 2020 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Today marks a rather important milestone for Terminal ctrl: Windows 10 pseudoconsole API support.

The support is implemented in PtyProcess class, so nothing new is introduced. Thanks to Mirek, you only need to enable the WIN10 flag in theIDE's main package configuration settings ("GUI WIN10"). So you will need the nightly builds of Upp to run Windows 10 pty with Terminal ctrl.

It is tested with the bundled CLANG and MSVC19 (MSVC19 requires comdlg32.lib via Windows SDK)

Since the support is experimental at the moment, you can expect some glitches (If you find any, let me know).

Git examples are also updated to reflect the changes. You can check them to see what is changed (or rather, not changed.)

For other, under-the-hood improvements and changes, you can check the git commit history.

Note that Terminal package is still in v0.3 phase. v0.4 (or 2020.2) is still two months away, and will bring in more improvements, and hopefully a refined win10 pty support.)

Here is a screenshot of the stock terminal splitter example, running multiple instances of cmd.exe with resizing support. (You can also run powershell instead):

https://i.imgur.com/7HRp7ly.jpg

If you have any questions, suggestions, bug reports, etc., let me know.

Cheers!

Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 21 August 2020 13:33]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54744 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 05 September 2020 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

There is a project called Monotty text-based desktop environment.
This project, which I've been tracking for some time, has set up a public ssh server where you can test both yout terminal emulator and the monontty desktop prototype.

It is cool stuff (with images made of unicode glyphs, 24-bit color transparency,etc.)

You can test the stock ssh terminal example by setting the url to:

vtm@netxs.online:22

After that you get this:

https://i.imgur.com/VgIRnCK.png

Smile

Consider it also as a demo for the SshShell component of Core/SSH package.

Best regards,

Oblivion.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 September 2020 16:51]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #54957 is a reply to message #51415] Thu, 01 October 2020 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor

Should Terminal be renamed as TerminalCtrl[ 5 votes ]
1. Yes 5 / 100%
2. No 0 / 0%

I am considering a rename for Terminal. (Package name won't change. Only the actual widget)

Should we rename it to TerminalCtrl with v0.4 (2020.2)?

If so, should we add Terminal as an alias (for backward compat.)?

What dou you think?

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2020 18:23]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55134 is a reply to message #51415] Tue, 13 October 2020 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Ok then, since there is no objection, the Terminal widget will be officially renamed as TerminalCtrl from version 2020.2 (0.4) on.

In the meantime, I'd like to share some news about my personal, pet project:

A robust and easy-to-use, multitabbed, cross-platform terminal emulator (which will also have support for SSH2 connections) I am currently writing in tribute to U++ Smile

As I've mentioned before, its project codename is "toad" (it may change in the future). It is a pre-alpha software now, but once it hits alpha (0.1) I will release it under BSD license on a separate git repo. (most stuff - sans SSH infrastructure - is already up and working.)

Here is a screenshot (on linux, GNOME 3.38):

https://i.imgur.com/2uMm8Tm.png

If you have any questions, ideas, bug reports, etc. let me know.

Best regards,
Oblivion

icon14.gif  Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55138 is a reply to message #55134] Tue, 13 October 2020 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Oblivion,

TerminalCtrl look amazing. Good job!

Right now I am waiting for the Upp DE with Your terminal App Wink

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 October 2020 20:41]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55721 is a reply to message #55134] Thu, 03 December 2020 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hongnod is currently offline  hongnod
I am watching your "Terminal" project for a duration of time. It looks amazing. I just want to know if the "toad" out will be something like XShell?

Thanks for your wonderful doing.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 15:30]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55726 is a reply to message #55721] Thu, 03 December 2020 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello hongnod.

Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
I am watching your "Terminal" project for a duration of time. It looks amazing. I just want to know if the "toad" out will be something like XShell?

Yes, but Toad will be lighter. The prealpha (unreleased) version already has a (experimental sftp browser).

My focus with Toad is to provide

a) A cross-platform terminal emulator in U++ style (=single directory with few to none external dependencies, that can also be compiled to work on web browsers and on Linux framebuffer)
b) An ssh2 terminal with x11 forwarding.
c) An integrated sftp browser and a multithreaded sftp/scp file transfer client.

Steps a and b is basically done (I'm polishing them)
Step c is a TODO (done ATM only experimentally).

It is already delayed but its initial public beta will hopefully be released in the second quarter of 2021

In the meantime I will continue improving the TerminalCtrl

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 16:26]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55733 is a reply to message #55726] Fri, 04 December 2020 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hongnod is currently offline  hongnod
Eager to taste it!
Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55739 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 05 December 2020 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Terminal package is now tagged as 2020.2 (v0.4)
There's a lot of changes under the hood but here are some highlights:

Terminal package, release: 2020.2, overview:

* Terminal class is finally renamed as TerminalCtrl. (Upp::Terminal will be available as an alias, until 2021.1 (v0.5) release tag).
* Fixed to compile with MSC 19.
* TerminalCtrl now officially supports Windows 10's native pseudoconsole api via the unified, basic interface of PtyProcess class.
* iterm2's inline images protocol is implemented and polished.
* Clipboard manipulation protocol (OSC 52) is implemented.
* Middle-drag (in application mouse-tracking mode) is implemented.
* Right-drag (in application mouse-tracking mode) is implemented.
* Auto-hide option for mouse cursor is added.
* Word selection is implemented. (double-click selection)
* Line selection is implemented. (triple-click selection)
* Text selection mechanism is refactored using the new range-based methods.
* Copy-on-select style text selection is added.
* Text cursor (caret) width is now automatically adjusted to cell width (i.e. reacts to single/double width unciode codepoints).
* Space character can now have overline/underline/strikeout attributes.
* Key handling is further improved across supported platforms.
* Scheduled time callbacks are now properly cleared on object destruction.  (MT-fortification)
* Performance/throughput  is further improved by removing the now redundant calls to page refresh methods.
* Hyperlink tooltips now display the decoded URL.
* RGBA, CMY and CMYK color text specifications (formatting and scanning) is now supported.
* Brightness component of faint colors is now correctly calculated.
* Jsonization and Xmlization support is added.
* More switches are added to the TerminalCtrl.usc (layout file).

* PtyProcess api docs are added.
* TerminalCtrl::InlineImage structure is documented.
- Terminal overview doc is removed.

Enjoy! Smile

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sat, 05 December 2020 16:27]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #55762 is a reply to message #51415] Wed, 09 December 2020 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Marking the beginning of new development cycle, a crucial feature that was missing up until now is initially implemented: PC_style function keys.
From now on it is possible to switch between PC and VT-style function keys by using relevant methods programatically, or via the default options menu or the CTRL+SHIFT+P accelarator key.
Many apps, such as tmux use PC-style function keys by default.
This also means that in VT-style function keys mode the F13-f20 keys should be mapped to CTRL+(F1-F8) as expected.

For more information on Pc-style function keys, see: https://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html#h2-P C-Style-Function-Keys

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56090 is a reply to message #51415] Sat, 23 January 2021 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I have added a new terminal example to the upp-components/Examples section: TerminalLayoutExample.

This new example demonstrates:

- The usage of TheIDE's layout editor to set-up the TerminalCtrl's properties and layout.
- Custom menu (bar & context) creation, and manipulation of TerminalCtrl's standard menu
- The usage of xterm's WindowOps (actions) to set up custom display sizes and modes (fullscreen/maximize/minimize, etc).
- A high performance event loop.
- Binary serialization of TerminalCtrl's storable properties and flags.

Screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6344&private=0

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56155 is a reply to message #51415] Mon, 01 February 2021 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

This is going to be an announcement:

I have decided to move several packages from upp-components to UppHub. And the Terminal package is one of them.

So in the following two weeks I will move the package and the example code to its own github repository.

In this way,

1) You will be able to download and update TerminalCtrl source code, examples via TheIDE's package manager, into the upp sandbox (no need to setup any assembly, etc.) with a single and simple click.
2) You won't have to download the whole upp-components repository to get TerminalCtrl and its examples.

This, however, does not mean that upp-components is dead. On the contrary, it will be maintained and synchronized with the upphub version as usual.
Besides, upp-components, and especially Terminal package gets a lot of hits, as it is referenced in various places in terminal emulation scene, and terminal emulator developer portals, and redirects curious people to Ultimate++. And I don't want to lose that. Smile
What I will do is to add a notice to the installation instructions and packages list in the upp-components readme file stating that these packages are also available via upphub, in TheIDE - nightly.

If you have any questions, objections, suggestions, etc let me know.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 01 February 2021 21:30]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56174 is a reply to message #51415] Wed, 03 February 2021 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

A small update:

- Application mouse tracking ("x10/x11") mode now sends the correct mouse coordinates on older wire formats where the max x/y coords is limited to 255 cells, 8-bit). This also fixes vim's mouse handling.

- It is now possible to set the text cursor style (block, beam,underline) of TerminalCtrl via TheIDE's layout editor.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2021 17:15]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56236 is a reply to message #51415] Fri, 12 February 2021 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Terminal package and TerminalCtrl is moved to its own repo and UppHub. (It will continue to be available on upp-components too.)
This means that you no longer need to download the whole repo to get TerminalCtrl and its reference examples.
If you have U++ nightly builds (as of February 12), you can download them via UppHub package manager in the TheIDE.

If you have any questions let me know.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56240 is a reply to message #56236] Fri, 12 February 2021 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Oblivion,

Glad to hear that it is available on UppHub Smile I tested the TerminalExample and found one problems. The path inside terminal is not displayed correctly (it has the same color as terminal area). Here is the screenshot:
index.php?t=getfile&id=6374&private=0

Maybe it is somehow related to white them. Please check!

Klugier

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2021 21:59]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56241 is a reply to message #56240] Fri, 12 February 2021 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Klugier,

Quote:
. The path inside terminal is not displayed correctly (it has the same color as terminal area). Here is the screenshot:

Thanks for reporting this!

However, I am unable to reproduce it on my two machines (Arch Linux, GNOME.) Tried with several different normal/dark themes. It seems to be working. (Even "powerline" styles are working! Smile )

It is possibly theme related.

If you have time, could you please provide the below information:

- The TERM variable
- The SHELL variable
- Is Adjust to dark theme on? (You can check it via context menu)
- Is Light colors mode on? ( You can check it via context menu)
- Have you tried it with other terminals? (e.g. xterm, Konsole, etc.) xterm would be a good criterion to compare.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2021 22:28]

Re: A terminal emulator widget for U++ [message #56242 is a reply to message #56241] Fri, 12 February 2021 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

It is fine with Konsole and VS Code however, the xterm doesn't display colors correctly. The color tune up doesn't help. The values for $TERM, $SHELL and $PS1 are as follow:
xterm
/bin/bash
\[\033[01;32m\][\u@\h\[\033[01;37m\] \W\[\033[01;32m\]]\$\[\033[00m\]

I think the root cause of the problem is that distro do some overrides.

Klugier

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2021 23:02]

Previous Topic: Added HDF5 library
Next Topic: Uppsrc on UppHub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:54:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01748 seconds