Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » DeepCopyOption do_clone inconsistancy?
DeepCopyOption do_clone inconsistancy? [message #51753] Tue, 14 May 2019 10:16 Go to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
Hey guys

I've been away for quite some years (due to work changes) but never forgot about U++, and recently decided to give it new spin and revive some 'old' and never finished projects.
I practically slept through the whole C++11 refactoring of U++ and need todo a fresh start.. good for me, I get to dive in the code again Razz yeah!!

Speaking of which: I stumbled across the follwoing

Topt.h
template <class T, class B = EmptyClass>
class WithClone : public B {
public:
	friend T do_clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; }
};

class DeepCopyOption : public B {
public:
#ifdef DEPRECATED
	friend T& operator<<=(T& dest, const T& src)
	{ if(&dest != &src) { (&dest)->~T(); ::new(&dest) T(src, 1); } return dest; }
#endif
	friend T  do_clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; }
};

class MoveableAndDeepCopyOption : public B {
	friend void AssertMoveable0(T *) {}
#ifdef DEPRECATED
#endif
	friend T  clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; } <<<< SHOULDN'T THIS BE do_clone?
};

the changes were introduced back in 2016 in this commit
https://github.com/ultimatepp/mirror/commit/f501894b10b42d9b 1a35950089818607d98c4d4b

If I get it right, the do_clone is the final function that is adressed by the the clone() (pick counterpart).
do_clone could be 'reimplemented' with a specific template instantiation.
clone is used throughout the code in the containers as 'higher level' clone function that maps to do_clone.

Nevertheless, MoveableAndDeepCopyOption is using clone(), instead of do_clone() like the other classes.

Isn't that it should be uniformally either clone() or do_clone() for all of them?
My bet: do_clone() should be used in MoveableAndDeepCopyOption as well.. as it maps to the Deep copy constructor instead of the default copy constructor.

Can anyone point out what the do_clone() is about if I am wrong and missing something?

PS: I try to get through bazaar and get some of those old packages of mine to work again. Many have been ported by others, thanks guys Smile
Re: DeepCopyOption do_clone inconsistancy? [message #51755 is a reply to message #51753] Tue, 14 May 2019 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2019 10:16
Hey guys

I've been away for quite some years (due to work changes) but never forgot about U++, and recently decided to give it new spin and revive some 'old' and never finished projects.
I practically slept through the whole C++11 refactoring of U++ and need todo a fresh start.. good for me, I get to dive in the code again Razz yeah!!

Speaking of which: I stumbled across the follwoing

Topt.h
class WithClone : public B {
public:
	friend T do_clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; }
};

class DeepCopyOption : public B {
public:
#ifdef DEPRECATED
#endif
	friend T  do_clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; }
};

class MoveableAndDeepCopyOption : public B {
	friend void AssertMoveable0(T *) {}
#ifdef DEPRECATED
#endif
	friend T  clone(const T& src) { T c(src, 1); return c; } <<<< SHOULDN'T THIS BE do_clone?
};

the changes were introduced back in 2016 in this commit
https://github.com/ultimatepp/mirror/commit/f501894b10b42d9b 1a35950089818607d98c4d4b

If I get it right, the do_clone is the final function that is adressed by the the clone() (pick counterpart).
do_clone could be 'reimplemented' with a specific template instantiation.
clone is used throughout the code in the containers as 'higher level' clone function that maps to do_clone.

Nevertheless, MoveableAndDeepCopyOption is using clone(), instead of do_clone() like the other classes.

Isn't that it should be uniformally either clone() or do_clone() for all of them?
My bet: do_clone() should be used in MoveableAndDeepCopyOption as well.. as it maps to the Deep copy constructor instead of the default copy constructor.

Can anyone point out what the do_clone() is about if I am wrong and missing something?

PS: I try to get through bazaar and get some of those old packages of mine to work again. Many have been ported by others, thanks guys Smile

Welcome back.

Looks like it is doing the same thing, just in slightly different way. I will recheck this soon and perhaps will try to remove do_clone.

Mirek
Re: DeepCopyOption do_clone inconsistancy? [message #53147 is a reply to message #51755] Mon, 09 March 2020 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
Hi mirek

any news about the issue here?

DeepCopyOption
MoveableAndDeepCopyOption

are essentially identical, or so i'd expect
hence should have both do_clone() IMHO..
I don't see why they should be different.

this enables me to only specialize template<> do_clone instead of both when dealing with some clone types and wanting to provide the same end interface for DeppCopyOption and MoveableAndDeepCopyOption..

Re: DeepCopyOption do_clone inconsistancy? [message #53153 is a reply to message #53147] Mon, 09 March 2020 15:52 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Thanks for reminding me; after investigating the issue, I have removed do_clone (what is was doing is now doing generic variant of clone).

Mirek
Previous Topic: ImageDraw not available in Draw
Next Topic: PolyCompare instantiation template<> for double missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:19:42 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02096 seconds