FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » MS C++ express vs MINGW
MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3558] Thu, 01 June 2006 18:51 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,
I was installing the microsoft compiler VC++ 2005 express edition once I've read it is free of charge. During the installation it connected to the microsoft site to download it. The message during the download said that it was downloading .NET platform and other stupid things that I do not want (I've unchecked them) for a total of 91 MB! I stopped everything.
Please let me ask you:
1) if in order to get the compiler I really need to download 91 MB of rubbish or at the end it download only a part of it.
2) the MS compiler has some advantage with respect the Mingw one I'm currently using.

Thank you,
Luigi
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3559 is a reply to message #3558] Thu, 01 June 2006 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 12:51

Hello,
I was installing the microsoft compiler VC++ 2005 express edition once I've read it is free of charge. During the installation it connected to the microsoft site to download it. The message during the download said that it was downloading .NET platform and other stupid things that I do not want (I've unchecked them) for a total of 91 MB! I stopped everything.
Please let me ask you:
1) if in order to get the compiler I really need to download 91 MB of rubbish or at the end it download only a part of it.
2) the MS compiler has some advantage with respect the Mingw one I'm currently using.

Thank you,
Luigi

Well, the best compiler so far is MSC7.1 IMO. It is not as C++ compliant as 8.0, but is much faster (compile time) and produces short code.

8.0 is slower, but still better than Mingw.

Unfortunately, at the moment I do not remember what exactly has to be downloaded, but I am afraid download is really huge, much more than 91MB (700MB or so...). Quite stupid to take a commandline compiler from it...

Mirek
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3562 is a reply to message #3558] Thu, 01 June 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
AFAIK, MS compiler compiles faster.
My experience is that with MINGW you can't compile some third party programs at all.
I hate MINGW include problems Smile.
I've downloaded gigabytes from MS and still find them useful... Smile
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3568 is a reply to message #3562] Thu, 01 June 2006 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
OK, I've downloaded and installed 91 MB of "Visual C++ 2005 express". Now I tried to compile something but... surprise... doesn't work! The error:
----- CtrlLib ( GUI MSC8 BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (1 / 10)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtrl.
	cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp DropList.cpp DropPusher.cpp DropChoice.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.c
	pp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp RichClip.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.cpp Bar.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolBar.cpp Tool
	Tip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp TreeCtrl.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp FileSel.
	cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp Update.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp
$blitz.cpp
C:\upp\uppsrc\Core/Core.h(240) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windef.h': No such file or directory
CtrlLib.icpp
C:\upp\uppsrc\Core/Core.h(240) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windef.h': No such file or directory

The file 'windef.h' is in /upp/mingw/include. It has nothing to do with the new compiler. Sure I set something wrong, but what?
I suspect the 91 MB I've downloaded are not the MSC8 required by theIDE. I add a picture of the setting.

Luigi

index.php?t=getfile&id=158&private=0
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3569 is a reply to message #3568] Thu, 01 June 2006 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 17:17

OK, I've downloaded and installed 91 MB of "Visual C++ 2005 express". Now I tried to compile something but... surprise... doesn't work! The error:
----- CtrlLib ( GUI MSC8 BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (1 / 10)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtrl.
	cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp DropList.cpp DropPusher.cpp DropChoice.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.c
	pp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp RichClip.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.cpp Bar.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolBar.cpp Tool
	Tip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp TreeCtrl.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp FileSel.
	cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp Update.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp
$blitz.cpp
CtrlLib.icpp

The file 'windef.h' is in /upp/mingw/include. It has nothing to do with the new compiler. Sure I set something wrong, but what?
I suspect the 91 MB I've downloaded are not the MSC8 required by theIDE. I add a picture of the setting.

Luigi

index.php?t=getfile&id=158&private=0

Have you downloaded the Win32 SDK?

Mirek
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3570 is a reply to message #3569] Thu, 01 June 2006 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 23:18

Have you downloaded the Win32 SDK?

Mirek

In the installation directory there is a SDK directory with other subdirectories as /bin, /lib... I think yes.

Luigi

edit: I read that about Win32 SDK I've "(core only)" Confused ... in contrast with other edition of the compiler.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 June 2006 23:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3572 is a reply to message #3570] Fri, 02 June 2006 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Have you got WinDef.h in your .../SDK/include/ dir? My U++ MSC7.1 compiles it from there...
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3573 is a reply to message #3572] Fri, 02 June 2006 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 01:41

Have you got WinDef.h in your .../SDK/include/ dir? My U++ MSC7.1 compiles it from there...

The include directory in SDK is absent! Shocked But I've bin, doc, lib, bootstrapper that I guess are useless without the include one. So the 2005 Express edition is quite useless for U++ purpose... let's come back to Mingw and remove 91 MB of garbage.

Luigi
Re: MS C++ express vs MINGW [message #3574 is a reply to message #3573] Fri, 02 June 2006 08:08 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 00:52

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 01:41

The include directory in SDK is absent! Shocked But I've bin, doc, lib, bootstrapper that I guess are useless without the include one. So the 2005 Express edition is quite useless for U++ purpose... let's come back to Mingw and remove 91 MB of garbage.

Luigi

SDK has to be downloaded separately!

Mirek
Previous Topic: post there a screenshot of your upp workspace :_)[OBSOLETE]
Next Topic: Use Ultimate with Devc++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:59:46 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05004 seconds