Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53042 is a reply to message #53039] Sun, 16 February 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Klugier

I think what you're saying might cause some misunderstanding: AFAIK https://github.com/ultimatepp is not the official U++ repository, but the official U++ mirror in GitHub Smile.

Otherwise a few more things would have to be modified.

I mean, it is great to be in GitHub since it's really trendy now, but in this case we should ask ourselves how to work from now on. The GitHub workflow offers several features, but many of them might not be very efficient in our project.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53044 is a reply to message #53042] Sun, 16 February 2020 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Sun, 16 February 2020 21:14
Hello Klugier

I think what you're saying might cause some misunderstanding: AFAIK https://github.com/ultimatepp is not the official U++ repository, but the official U++ mirror in GitHub Smile.

How do you define mirror in distributed versioning system?

Quote:

Otherwise a few more things would have to be modified.

There would be no practical difference.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 February 2020 23:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53046 is a reply to message #53044] Mon, 17 February 2020 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hi Mirek

In plain text, the repository is the first place where changes are uploaded and a mirror is just a copy done regularly.
Is it U++ GitHub mirror anything different?

I think that standard GitHub Workflow (create branches, add commits, open pull requests, merge) is rather different than in U++.
Are we going to adopt this system, or are we going to continue with the current system?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53048 is a reply to message #53046] Mon, 17 February 2020 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Mon, 17 February 2020 09:11
Hi Mirek

In plain text, the repository is the first place where changes are uploaded and a mirror is just a copy done regularly.
Is it U++ GitHub mirror anything different?

So all github repos are mirrors, as the first place where changes are uploaded is your local repository.

What I want to say here that 'mirror' does not have meaning with git. You have upstream and downstream. U++ github us definitely upstream.

Quote:

I think that standard GitHub Workflow (create branches, add commits, open pull requests, merge) is rather different than in U++.
Are we going to adopt this system, or are we going to continue with the current system?

This system is already adopted. The only difference is that I am not using automatic merging of pull requests in github, but I would not do that anyway - I want to check it first in local repo. But that is behind the scenes.

(A problem is that I lag accepting pulls - sorry about that, too busy lately working on chameleon / macos).

Mirek
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53050 is a reply to message #53048] Mon, 17 February 2020 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Mirek, I think we agree. I simply dislike with a fait accompli policy.

You know that if Klugier and you decide to change the workflow, that's fine with me. All I ask is not to receive private messages rudely demanding me to do things that have not been communicated to the community.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53051 is a reply to message #53050] Mon, 17 February 2020 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ah, sorry, I have missed the start of this thread. Yes, I agree that bazaar pull requests are sort of problem - this exactly the problem that prevented me from going git - access rights. But for what is worth, I have merged that XTEST pull request...

Mirek
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53052 is a reply to message #53051] Mon, 17 February 2020 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Mirek. I have uploaded the changes to SVN.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Proposal: Transition from SVN to GIT within 2020.1 release cycle [message #53053 is a reply to message #53052] Mon, 17 February 2020 12:02 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Mon, 17 February 2020 11:53
Thank you Mirek. I have uploaded the changes to SVN.

Thats a mistake Smile It got there by my accepting the pull.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Simple Skylark Application
Next Topic: Support for plug-in architecture
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:58:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01881 seconds