Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Debugging under Linux
Debugging under Linux [message #52985] Wed, 29 January 2020 17:41 Go to next message
Giorgio is currently offline  Giorgio
Experienced Member
I there,
when I try to launch the debugger on Linux (Debian) I get some error messages: if I understood correctly, there is some sort of incompatibility between Upp and gdb, so Upp cannot use gdb for debugging.

Do you have any suggestion on what application I could use to debug Upp apps on Linux?

Thanks,
gio
Re: Debugging under Linux [message #52986 is a reply to message #52985] Wed, 29 January 2020 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Giorgio,

There is no incompatibility between Upp and GDB on Linux. Make sure you have GDB in your environment variables. You can check this by calling which command in your terminal:
[klugier@X470Pro ~]$ which gdb
/usr/bin/gdb

If there is no gdb you need to install it:
sudo apt install gdb

Can you post screenshot that presents the error?

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Debugging under Linux [message #52990 is a reply to message #52986] Thu, 30 January 2020 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Giorgio is currently offline  Giorgio
Experienced Member
Hi Klugier,
I remind that I read somewhere in the forum (but actually I cannot find the post now, maybe I just had it wrong) that there were problems with Upp and gdb, so when I saw those errors I assumed that was due to this incompatibility and did not dig into them. Now I had a deeper analysis and turned out that they are related to my application (even I did not find out yet where they are).

Thanks again,
gio

[Updated on: Thu, 30 January 2020 12:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debugging under Linux [message #52991 is a reply to message #52985] Thu, 30 January 2020 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
The gdb experience is not 1:1 with windows debugger, so you probably read about that.

Also the gdb had two different implementations in TheIDE before (you could switch between in the settings), I'm not even sure if this is still a thing in current version (or if it was reduced to single implementation again).

But generally the debugging under linux should work, although maybe slightly limited/different compared to current state under windows with windows native debugger.
Re: Debugging under Linux [message #53129 is a reply to message #52991] Thu, 05 March 2020 12:10 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 15:40
The gdb experience is not 1:1 with windows debugger, so you probably read about that.

Also the gdb had two different implementations in TheIDE before (you could switch between in the settings), I'm not even sure if this is still a thing in current version (or if it was reduced to single implementation again).

But generally the debugging under linux should work, although maybe slightly limited/different compared to current state under windows with windows native debugger.

It is back to single implementation again. mi2 interface based one did not really solved any issues and then started lagging in features. Not worth it to maintain it.

In future, I would like to try to do something based on llvm libraries, virtualize it all (that means on one side the debug info, on other side host platform debugging API) and have just single potent debugger. But I suppose that is a lot of work...

Previous Topic: Compiling own library in TheIDE
Next Topic: GTK3 - Image CairoImage(int cx, ...)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:41:10 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01377 seconds