Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Linux U++ libraries
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53322 is a reply to message #53318] Sun, 29 March 2020 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
I have exact the same experience as koldo. No automatic build method generation happened on Ubuntu 18.04 as of the most recent nightly build. I mannully created a gcc.bm using the content posted by deep and it fixed my problem.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6027&private=0
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53324 is a reply to message #53322] Sun, 29 March 2020 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Lance wrote on Sun, 29 March 2020 03:14
I have exact the same experience as koldo. No automatic build method generation happened on Ubuntu 18.04 as of the most recent nightly build. I mannully created a gcc.bm using the content posted by deep and it fixed my problem.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6027&private=0

That is as designed. They get created the first time theide runs.

Of course, install should not try to copy them, that is a mistake.
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53326 is a reply to message #53322] Sun, 29 March 2020 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, I can see the current experience is underwhelming. I am working on "linux experience overhaul" now... Smile

One little idea that might (or might not) help us:

https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=109 65&start=0&

My current plan is to

a) fix makefile based tarball

b) create a second more 'automated' U++ release that would work as close to Win32 or MacOS as possible. Single directory, static umk, script that builds theide. Maybe even could contain theide script file that calls that script to get replace by the binary. No more install, just keep files in that folder, just like with macos and win32 (except I am undecided whether to put config files there, or use ~/.upp). Building with umk on decent machine in Release/BLITZ takes 2 minutes, that is faster than installing most applications in windows... Smile

Of course, install script should resolve dependencies as well...

Mirek
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53329 is a reply to message #53326] Sun, 29 March 2020 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Thank you, Mirek. It's great that you can do this. Continuing with this line, it would be excellent that we have a clear line about which is the best way to distribute open source applications, like in GitHub, in which the ease of use for the user is maximum (maybe the user knows nothing at all about C++), in order to:

- Distribute binaries
- The user can compile the binaries in the simplest way on both Windows and Linux or Mac.

Best regards
IƱaki

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2020 17:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53332 is a reply to message #53329] Sun, 29 March 2020 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Sun, 29 March 2020 17:14
Thank you, Mirek. It's great that you can do this. Continuing with this line, it would be excellent that we have a clear line about which is the best way to distribute open source applications, like in GitHub, in which the ease of use for the user is maximum (maybe the user knows nothing at all about C++), in order to:

- Distribute binaries
- The user can compile the binaries in the simplest way on both Windows and Linux or Mac.

Actually, if we wanted to be crazy, we can upload static umk to source tree with install script... Smile But thats maybe too crazy.

But what should be possible is some form of single installation file that would work on given CPU architecture. It would have to run in console, but other than that... Combined with BLITZ, this sounds like a nice idea....

Mirek
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53333 is a reply to message #53321] Sun, 29 March 2020 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 21:10
mirek wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 17:19
koldo wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 15:05
Quote:
I think the best is to avoid .bm completely and just setup these in theide when there is no .bm available.
In this case, as in Windows, it could be an "Automatic build methods setup.." option, although I think TheIDE should have to be fully ready after make install.

Actually, this already works... And there is no difference really, if there are no .bm, ide makes them on start. You would not notice that happened.

The .bm files created with "domake" are mainly for umk command line users.
The script copy raw GCC.bm.in and CLANG.bm.in as GCC.bm and CLANG.bm.

Good point.

That said, I think we do not really need .in files now. Empty (mostly) GCC.bm and CLANG.bm should work just fine..
Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53334 is a reply to message #53321] Sun, 29 March 2020 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:
I think the best is to avoid .bm completely and just setup these in theide when there is no .bm available.
In this case, as in Windows, it could be an "Automatic build methods setup.." option, although I think TheIDE should have to be fully ready after make install.

Actually, this already works... And there is no difference really, if there are no .bm, ide makes them on start. You would not notice that happened.

I have just changed umk to create default build methods just like theide. No more need to create these during install. .var should be autoinstalled in theide as well.

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2020 20:44]

Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53335 is a reply to message #53324] Sun, 29 March 2020 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Quote:
That is as designed. They get created the first time theide runs.

Except the build method is not created upon the first run. Something is missing. I have deleted the .upp folder before make install and have to fight with an ide not configured with any build method. If build method generation happens at all, like it does in windows, nobody will notice anything and make complaints.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2020 20:57]

Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53348 is a reply to message #53322] Mon, 30 March 2020 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
Snapshots are created each morning. The last snapshot "upp-x11-src-14201.tar.gz" works perfectly.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2020 12:58]

Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53349 is a reply to message #53334] Mon, 30 March 2020 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Sun, 29 March 2020 20:43
Quote:

I have just changed umk to create default build methods just like theide. No more need to create these during install. .var should be autoinstalled in theide as well.

Mirek

Ok so creating and copying .bm files are not needed anymore then?
There are used in several build scripts.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2020 13:01]

Re: Linux U++ libraries [message #53350 is a reply to message #53349] Mon, 30 March 2020 13:11 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
I removed .bm files from nightly tarball generation.

No more bm file handling in tarball build scripts too.
Previous Topic: IDE compilation error 'GdkDrawingContext' does not name a type
Next Topic: Nightly doesn't compile with make on linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:15:39 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03107 seconds