Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » umk static version
umk static version [message #53325] Sun, 29 March 2020 16:12 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have got an idea that umk in fact can be linked static, which means we can create universal binary for umk that would work on all linux distros (and looks like FreeBSD as well). That perhaps might improve out installation woes...

I am enclosing static build of umk ('umks'). I would welcome some info whether it runs on your distro.

P.S.: I am well aware this is sort of the same thing that long time ago dolik developed. However the problem was maintaining separate script that would have to reflect all changes in ide/Builders. This is just different compilation of the same thing.
  • Attachment: umks.7z
    (Size: 1.27MB, Downloaded 170 times)
Re: umk static version [message #53327 is a reply to message #53325] Sun, 29 March 2020 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
It works in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
By the way, I thought this was not possible. This way, could be deployed binaries in Linux?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: umk static version [message #53328 is a reply to message #53327] Sun, 29 March 2020 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Sun, 29 March 2020 17:01
It works in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
By the way, I thought this was not possible. This way, could be deployed binaries in Linux?

Well, the problem is that not all libraries have static variants. With umk, we are lucky, but you basically cannot build GUI application as required libraries are .so only.

(Also, this binary is AMD64 only, but I guess that is less of a problem.)

Mirek
Re: umk static version [message #53331 is a reply to message #53325] Sun, 29 March 2020 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

It works on freshly upgraded ArchLinux as well as on ancient Debian wheezy.

This is actually much better than anything I ever proposed Wink I always tried to build using theide using single Makefile, but maintaining that Makefile was a nightmare. This provides simple way to build U++ sources (anything, not just TheIDE) using the same code as used by TheIDE itself.

All you need to do is to add "umks" to sources, probably together with simple makefile that takes care about creating .bm files and than run umks. Or possibly cleaner solution, not requiring to have binary file in source tarball: Just download the latest "umks" in the Makefile (or let user download it manually in case of offline install, but that is a rare use-case). Just thinking aloud here, but I really like the idea. It's IMHO a win-win, since it will make the builds faster for user and the distribution of sources will be simpler for you :)when

Best regards,
Honza
Re: umk static version [message #53344 is a reply to message #53331] Mon, 30 March 2020 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, let us go a bit further, above umks is AMD64, but it seems like it should be possible to have 32-bit binary that works on all x86 systems.

At least it works on my linux (I have to add new NOSO flag so that zlib and bz2 are included from internal sources).

Please test Smile

(Also adding, for future reference, GCC32.bm for building 32-bit stuff on 64-bit system. You also need to "sudo apt-get install g++-multilib" to do that...)
  • Attachment: umks32.7z
    (Size: 1.04MB, Downloaded 166 times)
Re: umk static version [message #53345 is a reply to message #53344] Mon, 30 March 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
GCC32.bm
  • Attachment: GCC32.bm
    (Size: 0.61KB, Downloaded 172 times)
Re: umk static version [message #53346 is a reply to message #53325] Mon, 30 March 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Seems to work. I didn't actually compile anything, but the file executes successfully.
Re: umk static version [message #53347 is a reply to message #53325] Mon, 30 March 2020 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
JFYI: The 64b kernel does run 32b binaries only when compiled with support for 32b ABI, for example WSL2 in windows has strictly 64b-only kernel, not capable to execute 32b binaries (not really relevant to U++ use-case, just an example).

I'm not aware which distro has 64b-only kernel, I think none of the mainstream ones, but you may run into this issue with 32b binaries later in the future (but as the umk can be built easily as both 32 or 64 bit binary, it will be easy to deal with it, when it happens).
Re: umk static version [message #53351 is a reply to message #53325] Mon, 30 March 2020 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
A static umk binary in a source package is not a good idea in my opinion.
There is no need for this.

Proof:

Now that upp use pkg-config, you can run this command in linux and bsd and build theide out of the box:

make -C uppsrc -f Makefile.in -j8

The build scripts in the root directory (Makefile, domake, doinstall, ...) are mainly there to ease the build process + the install process + to handle variants like MacOS X for example or missing gcc compiler or too old compiler version, ...

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2020 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: umk static version [message #53353 is a reply to message #53351] Mon, 30 March 2020 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 13:24
A static umk binary in a source package is not a good idea in my opinion.
There is no need for this.

It is potentially faster because of BLITZ.

(OTOH, some BLITZ form could be added to makefile too).

Still, consider this experimentation phase. Obviously, there is some dissatisfaction over Linux handling, so...

Mirek
Re: umk static version [message #53355 is a reply to message #53325] Mon, 30 March 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I agree with amrein, that it would not be good idea to put it in the source package.

However, it is not entirely true that this is not needed. Currently, only theide can be build from theide using the pre-generated Makefile.in. With umks, the process is much more universal. You could build umk, or any of the examples, just by passing different arguments to make.

Also, if done properly, it would make it much easier for anyone to distribute their own U++ packages in source form. You'd just put uppsrc, your application sources and universal makefile (using umks) into tarball and you have source package built in an instant with little to no work.

I'm really tempted to write an example Makefile just to show you how easy it would be to build anything Smile

Honza
Re: umk static version [message #53356 is a reply to message #53325] Mon, 30 March 2020 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Yep, I couldn't resist... Attached is a very simplistic Makefile allowing you to build anything simply by calling make <package_name>.

Just put it into the upp directory with umks (this wouldn't be needed, if it could be downloaded from U++ site) and call make to display help Wink

EDIT: Updated the Makefile to actually work with downloaded umks (forgot to make it executable in the original version)
  • Attachment: Makefile
    (Size: 0.69KB, Downloaded 167 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2020 21:46]

Re: umk static version [message #53357 is a reply to message #53356] Mon, 30 March 2020 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 16:05
Yep, I couldn't resist... Attached is a very simplistic Makefile allowing you to build anything simply by calling make <package_name>.

Just put it into the upp directory with umks (this wouldn't be needed, if it could be downloaded from U++ site) and call make to display help Wink

To make it more fun, umks is now uploaded to downloads... Smile

Mirek
Re: umk static version [message #53359 is a reply to message #53357] Mon, 30 March 2020 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
How many posts, that is great!
If necessary, please review the install documentation accordingly Smile.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: umk static version [message #53360 is a reply to message #53357] Mon, 30 March 2020 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 16:30

Great Very Happy I just fixed the Makefile in the original post so it actually works.

By the way: One thing I'd definitely change about umk is the "UI". Fixed position parameters, no real help, some params prefixed with '-', some with '+', no long options... Explaining this to a common user would be nightmare Smile Isn't it time to tweak this a little as well? I'd be willing to do the work. I know it's not hard, but I guess you have more important things to do, right? Smile

Honza
Re: umk static version [message #53362 is a reply to message #53360] Mon, 30 March 2020 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
The current build system can generate umk binary alone (make umk -j8).

Then theide could be build using umk to speed the process.

It know that this works on Linux because I tested a modified "domake" script doing just this in February 2017 (still on my computer). I didn't investigate further for other OS.

My main issue was: umk uses $HOME/umk/_out . This is incompatible with rpm based distro (and sandboxed compilation as on Debian I think).

edit: and now umk or umks create ~/.upp/umk/... ~/.upp/umks/... and this is still incompatible with binary package building in most Linux distributions.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2020 22:39]

Re: umk static version [message #53363 is a reply to message #53360] Mon, 30 March 2020 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 21:52
mirek wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 16:30

Great Very Happy I just fixed the Makefile in the original post so it actually works.

By the way: One thing I'd definitely change about umk is the "UI". Fixed position parameters, no real help, some params prefixed with '-', some with '+', no long options... Explaining this to a common user would be nightmare Smile Isn't it time to tweak this a little as well? I'd be willing to do the work. I know it's not hard, but I guess you have more important things to do, right? Smile

Honza

'+' prefixes flags, which I think is not that bad.

I any case it would be good to show how do you want to change it before implementing...

Mirek
Re: umk static version [message #53365 is a reply to message #53362] Tue, 31 March 2020 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 22:33

It know that this works on Linux because I tested a modified "domake" script doing just this in February 2017 (still on my computer). I didn't investigate further for other OS.

My main issue was: umk uses $HOME/umk/_out . This is incompatible with rpm based distro (and sandboxed compilation as on Debian I think).

edit: and now umk or umks create ~/.upp/umk/... ~/.upp/umks/... and this is still incompatible with binary package building in most Linux distributions.

I believe that the output dir can be specified as the last optional parameter...
Re: umk static version [message #53366 is a reply to message #53365] Tue, 31 March 2020 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Tue, 31 March 2020 11:58
amrein wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 22:33

I believe that the output dir can be specified as the last optional parameter...

It never worked for me:

tar zxf upp-x11-src-14204.tar.gz
cd upp-x11-src-14204
make -j8 umk
./umk uppsrc ide GCC myoutdir

this will still create $HOME/.upp/umk/_out/ and the last umk parameter won't be use.

The out parameter works only for the -x -X -M -Mx -mX options = exporting files necessary to build the project or exporting a Makefile.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2020 12:53]

Re: umk static version [message #53372 is a reply to message #53325] Tue, 31 March 2020 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

The problem with using $HOME can be easily circumvented, just tell umk to use different one:
mkdir build
HOME="$PWD/build" ./umks "examples,reference,uppsrc" "ide" ./GCC.bm "-rbv" "+GUI,MT" "./theide"

But it's true, that this could be simpler.
Previous Topic: Support for plug-in architecture
Next Topic: How to determine if U++ is being utilized...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:03:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01517 seconds