Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Draw, Display, Images, Bitmaps, Icons » What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph?
What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54283] Fri, 19 June 2020 13:33 Go to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I am working on a range-based and fallback font substitution mechanism for Terminal ctrl and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Is there already a way to replace missing glphs in U++ API?

For example, most fonts do not have the glyphs for braille alhabet or unicode emojis/icons. I want to use alternative fonts for missing glpyhs.

I see some methods for Font, suggesting that it is possible but I couldn't find a simple example.

I'd be grateful if anyone could clarify this point and/or post an example.

Edit: I see a static font replacement list in Draw/FontCR.cpp. Is it how U++ does this? If so, can we have a way to modify and let apps manage the list?

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2020 15:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54303 is a reply to message #54283] Mon, 22 June 2020 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 13:33

Edit: I see a static font replacement list in Draw/FontCR.cpp. Is it how U++ does this?

Indeed.

Quote:

If so, can we have a way to modify and let apps manage the list?

We can talk about that...Generally, it would probably be more simple to just keep the list updated...

Mirek
Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54311 is a reply to message #54303] Mon, 22 June 2020 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

Generally, it would probably be more simple to just keep the list updated...

What I have in my mind can be summarized as follows:

1) Make the same list dynamic (using a vector maybe?)
2) Accordinly, add global functions to manipulate or query the list on demand.
3) Keep the existing code as intact as possible.

Basically, it is a global list management.

For example (just to give an idea)

void AddFallbackFont()
void RemoveFallbackFont()
void InsertFallbackFont()
void ResetFallbackFonts() // Always resets the list to U++ defaults.
const Vector<>& GetFallbackFonts() // Not sure about this one, but may be used to fill font lists in UI, if needed;

Frankly I don't really care about emojis or icons. The "modern terminal emulation scene" is a very interesting and weird habitat, but what I really need is some special fallback fonts when a terminal connection requires font adjusting depending on the environment over a remote (SSH) connection, for example.

Besides U++ apps in general can benefit from this.

My main concern would be performance (though the impact of using a dynamic list should be negligable) and the potential concurrency problems these functions may bring in.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2020 17:38]

Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54314 is a reply to message #54311] Mon, 22 June 2020 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 17:20
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

Generally, it would probably be more simple to just keep the list updated...

What I have in my mind can be summarized as follows:

1) Make the same list dynamic (using a vector maybe?)
2) Accordinly, add global functions to manipulate or query the list on demand.
3) Keep the existing code as intact as possible.

Basically, it is a global list management.

For example (just to give an idea)

void AddFallbackFont()
void RemoveFallbackFont()
void InsertFallbackFont()
void ResetFallbackFonts() // Always resets the list to U++ defaults.
const Vector<>& GetFallbackFonts() // Not sure about this one, but may be used to fill font lists in UI, if needed;

Frankly I don't really care about emojis or icons. The "modern terminal emulation scene" is a very interesting and weird habitat, but what I really need is some special fallback fonts when a terminal connection requires font adjusting depending on the environment over a remote (SSH) connection, for example.

Besides U++ apps in general can benefit from this.

My main concern would be performance (though the impact of using a dynamic list should be negligable) and the potential concurrency problems these functions may bring in.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Oblivion

I think that whatever fonts you might add by AddFallbackFont, you can have in the list already... Smile

I mean, how are you going to use this?

Mirek
Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54317 is a reply to message #54314] Mon, 22 June 2020 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

I think that whatever fonts you might add by AddFallbackFont, you can have in the list already... Smile

I mean, how are you going to use this?

OK, if we can add some new faces to fallback fonts list, it would be sufficient and great. Smile

For one, an important monospace font with great glpyh coverage is missing: FreeMono. (FreeSans and FreeSerif is already in the list but their monospaced counterpart is missing).

Also, FontAwesome should be in that list too. (It has extensive icons coverage, used by many apps.)

These two would improve the result of font glyph substitution mechanism of U++.

There are other font families such as Noto for extensive CJK, Devanagari, etc. coverage but they can be picked and added later, if needed.

As a side note, I think it would be better to have a Font constructor that takes a facename. (Can be used to construct font arrays from facenames, using the C++11 initializer lists.)

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2020 23:23]

Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54357 is a reply to message #54317] Fri, 03 July 2020 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have added FreeMono. I do not have FontAwesome here to create its coverage (uppbox/FontCover).

As for facename as constructor parameter, I would rather not. I do not like to encourage the idea that facenames are shared across computers...

Mirek
Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54359 is a reply to message #54357] Fri, 03 July 2020 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Coverage of FontAwesome;
"FontAwesome", 0xc0000000, 0x88000002,

As for facename as constructor parameter, I would rather not. I do not like to encourage the idea that facenames are shared across computers...

No worries, I can live without it.

Thank your very much!

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: What is the U++ way to replace a missing font glyph? [message #54360 is a reply to message #54359] Fri, 03 July 2020 16:21 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Hm, looks like cover is actually not used anymore....

In fact, looking at it, there should be some work done. Right now, replacements do not care about font style much...

Mirek
Previous Topic: Paint problems when using transparency
Next Topic: [SOLVED] Simple example for DrawPainter::Path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:26:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01717 seconds