FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » bazaar -> UppHub
bazaar -> UppHub [message #55716] Thu, 03 December 2020 09:27 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Hi,

I would like to stop shipping bazaar with U++ and move everything to UppHub (and that probably means GitHub too).

That would basically mean:

- I will keep svn bazaar as an archive (maybe move it to different path so that it is removed from GitHub U++)
- If you want your package to be publicly accessible, move sources to GitHub, start maintaning it there
- Let me know that such nest exists and I will add to the GitHub list
- Alternativly, it would be even better if somebody started maintaining "tier 2" list of packages, so that I just link such list

I suspect that this suggested step will cause some troubles disagreements, OTOH I think long term it is the only viable solution...

Mirek
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55717 is a reply to message #55716] Thu, 03 December 2020 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Perfect Mirek

In order to do what you say as soon as possible, it would be ideal if you could make a case as an example. I will try to apply it to my Bazaar packages immediately.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55718 is a reply to message #55716] Thu, 03 December 2020 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

We should give people time to move their bazzar packages. Also their should be period when UppHub is tested and protoocol changes are acceptable. I think we need at least 2-3 release. 2022.1 release seems reasonable to me. Also, we should warn users if they move to bazaar and MyApps-bazaar assembly that it will be removed and the UppHub is alterantive. From my perspective this is fair approch.

Also, before releasing UppHub we need good documentation for it.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 14:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55719 is a reply to message #55717] Thu, 03 December 2020 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
koldo wrote on Thu, 03 December 2020 12:06

In order to do what you say as soon as possible, it would be ideal if you could make a case as an example. I will try to apply it to my Bazaar packages immediately.

Same here, as soon as you provide a good example I move my SurfaceCtrl package and I put GLFW package to github
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55720 is a reply to message #55716] Thu, 03 December 2020 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Quote:
- Alternativly, it would be even better if somebody started maintaining "tier 2" list of packages, so that I just link such list

I think ultimatepp-bazaar can still be a single repo under the umbrella of ultimatepp "organization" on Github, maintained by any volunteering member. This way, it can still be in close relation to the uppsrc, and the transition would be smoother.

As I am active on Github, I can curate that repo, if no one else does it.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 14:11]

Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55723 is a reply to message #55720] Thu, 03 December 2020 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Thu, 03 December 2020 13:52
Hi,

Quote:

I think ultimatepp-bazaar can still be a single repo under the umbrella of ultimatepp "organization" on Github, maintained by any volunteering member. This way, it can still be in close relation to the uppsrc, and the transition would be smoother.

As I am active on Github, I can curate that repo, if no one else does it.

Best regards,
Oblivion

The one problem that this step might help solve is that there appear to be many packages in bazaar that nobody touched for years (sometimes even a decade:). Often they do not even compile...

Of course, nobody is deleting anything. It is just not something I want to include with each release. UppHub provides a good opportunity to fix that.
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55724 is a reply to message #55717] Thu, 03 December 2020 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Thu, 03 December 2020 12:06
Perfect Mirek

https://github.com/mirek-fidler/urr

This is one nest I have moved from bazaar, mostly for testing, but this is its final place....

Then it needs to get into the UppHub list. For now, there is just a single level here:

https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp/blob/master/upphub. root

I hope in future, there will be at least one secodary list....

Things will change a bit once we gain some experience, but the basic principle is the same.

I plan to start moving stuff to UppHub, maybe including some uppsrc packages like Turtle or Skylark....

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 15:50]

Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55725 is a reply to message #55718] Thu, 03 December 2020 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Thu, 03 December 2020 12:10

We should give people time to move their bazzar packages. Also their should be period when UppHub is tested and protoocol changes are acceptable.

That might create much more confusion than it solves...

Mirek
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55730 is a reply to message #55725] Thu, 03 December 2020 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
It would be great that, even although the Bazaar packages would be outside U++, they could be "loaded" seamlessly from main U++.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55741 is a reply to message #55724] Sun, 06 December 2020 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

I think we should move upphub.root to separate repository ultimatepp/upphub. This will improve UppHub maintainability. You will need only to approve and merge PR. Moreover, you will do not need to copy something from the forum and past it to upphub.root. Also, the readme with instructions and feater overview could be added.

The reason behind separate repository is that it will do not interfere with the PR's for upp framework.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 December 2020 19:58]

Re: bazaar -> UppHub [message #55746 is a reply to message #55741] Mon, 07 December 2020 00:28 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Sun, 06 December 2020 19:50
Hello Mirek,

I think we should move upphub.root to separate repository ultimatepp/upphub. This will improve UppHub maintainability. You will need only to approve and merge PR. Moreover, you will do not need to copy something from the forum and past it to upphub.root. Also, the readme with instructions and feater overview could be added.

The reason behind separate repository is that it will do not interfere with the PR's for upp framework.

Klugier

TBD... Maybe. I hoped there will be more than one list.... (that is why we have "links" section).

Mirek
Previous Topic: SysInfo and Alpine Linux
Next Topic: GLFW Package
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:41:44 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01748 seconds