FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ SQL » ODBC Assertion failed
ODBC Assertion failed [message #55812] Thu, 17 December 2020 11:01 Go to next message
Giorgio is currently offline  Giorgio
Experienced Member
Hi there,
I have an application that has to insert some data on a Microsoft SQL Server db.

When the query runs without error the application is ok, the problem is when the query fails for some reason: in that case the application crashes.

This is what I found in the log:

ERROR [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_RIG'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.DOROW'. The duplicate key value is [...]
****************** ASSERT FAILED: Assertion failed in C:\Users\GIRU1\ToolsBox\upp-2020.1\uppsrc\ODBC\ODBC.cpp, line 215
tlevel >= 0

This is the code that crashes:

bool InsertDoument(ValueMap * vm){

Sql query(my_mssql_db);
	query.ClearError();

query.Begin();

try{
		query * Insert(My_mssql_table)(*vm);
	} catch(SqlExc) {
		ErrorOK(query.GetLastError());
	}

if(query.WasError()){
		query.Rollback();
		return false;
	}

query.Commit();
    return true;
}

Thanks for any hint!
gio

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55813 is a reply to message #55812] Thu, 17 December 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JeyCi is currently offline  JeyCi
Giorgio wrote on Thu, 17 December 2020 11:01
if (query.WasError())

I'm not sure that you should use 2 error checks - both "try_catch" & "if (query.WasError())"... I think WasError can be enough & you'd better try to do the whole necessary stuff here in this scope (including the one that you're trying to do in catch)... then "try_catch" seems unneeded for me...
I'm not sure but it seems to be excessive error checks when using both... because in catch-scope you are not correctly closing your connection to process the error that arrised, but still continue to utilize it (connection) for error checks again... imho

Best regards.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2020 06:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55814 is a reply to message #55813] Thu, 17 December 2020 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Uhm, I tried with the try/catch only, with .WasError() only, with both of them, with none of them: always same result. Sad
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55815 is a reply to message #55812] Thu, 17 December 2020 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violation of PRIMARY KEY

In any case it is the problem that should be solved at Server-side & SQL-statement better... before insertion check for Uniqueness in some Join or take Distinct Group_By - to assure that rows to be inserted are really unique - as PKs ought to be...
If I had a chance to meet some duplication of PKs - I would first make Query for them (with a help of Self-Join), to understand what rows are really problematic & how to correct input data, then make necessary corrections either manually or in code - to have correct data, filtered from duplications, and then try again to insert into DB...
SQL language has pretty enough stuff to deal with such situations - e.g. Triggers...
An attempt to insert 2 identical PKs into DB should be filtered somehow in the Query itself, not in application language... though of course the last is also possible - to check duplications in C++ before Insert Into DB - but it is not very convenient...

Best regards.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 December 2020 15:11]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55817 is a reply to message #55815] Thu, 17 December 2020 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I do not agree, checking the uniqueness beforehand could be a useful workaround, but an application cannot crash because someone is trying to enter wrong data.
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55818 is a reply to message #55812] Thu, 17 December 2020 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, your disagreement also seems reasonable...
upp-2020.1\uppsrc

... additional check needed from upp-team who use this version... I cannot help with any other suggestions because am using older version & cannot reproduce the situation...
with sqlite3 WasError() catches PK-duplication error & after PromptOK-notification within it (that I use to see GetErrorStatement) normal return from WasError()-scope & from function without crash of app...

Best regards.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 December 2020 17:49]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55823 is a reply to message #55818] Fri, 18 December 2020 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, I can just suggest to make a couple of experiments:
1) try to log your queries with something like (but about your ms sql server)
sqlite3.Open(db)
#ifdef _DEBUG
    sqlite3.SetTrace();		//logging queries
#endif

& without Commit & Rollback... AFAIK, such command is being self-rollbacked automatically in the case of error or commited automatically if no errors - in ms sql server - but I have no chance to check it in ms sql server
// initialize transaction
BEGIN TRAN;
// transaction
INSERT INTO sales
VALUES ('7896', 'JR3435', 'Oct 28 1997', 25, 'Net 60', 'BU7832');

2) I'm not sure, that having duplicated PKs the query starts anyway, therefore I'm not sure that you have the right to do Rollback when this error arrised...
therefore you can try just SQL-statement to .Execute, expressing your sql-command in sql-string, not u++ method Insert... something like this - that is doing rollback ONLY IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0
BEGIN TRY
    BEGIN TRANSACTION 
        exec( @sqlHeader)
    COMMIT
END TRY
BEGIN CATCH
    IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0
        ROLLBACK
END CATCH

or check this count in U++ somehow, before rollback - though it seems meaningless in the case of error... If you'd had several queries - you'd had something to rollback if previous queries already done... but in a single Insert failed - nothing to Rollback... imho

Best regards.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2020 06:53]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55824 is a reply to message #55812] Fri, 18 December 2020 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I've found out that the problem arises only in debug mode. The problem is the ASSERT at line 200 and 215 in ODBC/ODC.cpp. I can live without having the capability to debug that part of code, although it's very handy when there are issues (a problem with that part of the code was the reason I turned on the debugger in the first place). Honestly my C++ isn't good enough to fix that, so I hope that someone of the UPP's developer can notice this thread and have a look.
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55825 is a reply to message #55823] Fri, 18 December 2020 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Honestly I think that you are approaching the problem in the wrong way. Found some kind of workaround can be a quick & dirty solution, but is not a long term solution. I've ton of sql queries towards a PostgreSQL rdbms in my application: never had a glitch. That it's clearly some kind of bug in the ODBC code.
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55826 is a reply to message #55825] Fri, 18 December 2020 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Giorgio wrote on Fri, 18 December 2020 08:32
Honestly I think that you are approaching the problem in the wrong way. Found some kind of workaround can be a quick & dirty solution, but is not a long term solution. I've ton of sql queries towards a PostgreSQL rdbms in my application: never had a glitch. That it's clearly some kind of bug in the ODBC code.

I absolutely agree. Will investigate soon (I have not seen this kind of behaviour the last time I used ODBC).

Mirek
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55830 is a reply to message #55824] Fri, 18 December 2020 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Giorgio wrote on Fri, 18 December 2020 08:26
I've found out that the problem arises only in debug mode. The problem is the ASSERT at line 200 and 215 in ODBC/ODC.cpp. I can live without having the capability to debug that part of code, although it's very handy when there are issues (a problem with that part of the code was the reason I turned on the debugger in the first place).

Usually ASSERT compiles to nothing in release, and to debug check under debug.

So "arises only in debug mode" means that you see the warning in debug mode, but in release the same condition, which would trigger assert, does nothing and continues further.

ASSERT usually ensures conditions which "must be true" (and there is no need to check it at runtime) and the code after them usually is written in such a way that it may often crash hard if the condition is false.

So you get assert warning only in debug mode, but most likely the real problem is happening in release too, it's just not catched early by ASSERT, but causes havoc further down the line. In some situations you may be lucky that the code after is robust enough to survive even when condition is false, and the assert is rather just information that something is seriously broken in the code, way beyond the author expectations.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2020 14:03]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55842 is a reply to message #55830] Mon, 21 December 2020 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,
I reviewed my code, but I actually cannot see anything terrible. I have innumerable queries in PostgreSQL that is the rdbms that I currently use, previously I used MySql so I wrote a lot queries with that also, have also a few in sqlite... never a problem. The structure of the code is in my first post: it seems to me very simple and basic. I also tried different combinations of try/catch and .WasErrors() but the behaviour is also the same. Maybe it's the way I open the connection to the db?

(mymssql_db is a private memeber of the class and its type is MSSQLSession).

bool OpenMSSqlDB(){

String username = "sa";
	String pwd = "mypassword";
	String dbname = "MYDBNAME";
	String server = "servername\\instancename";
	String cs = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=" + server +
					";UID=" + username + ";PWD=" + pwd + ";Database=" + dbname + ";";
	if(!mymssql_db.Connect(cs))
	{
		string err="Unable to connect to MSSql database due to the following error: " + mymssql_db.GetLastError().ToStd();
		this->err_messages->push_back(err);
		return false;
	}

mymssql_db.ThrowOnError();
	mymssql_db.LogErrors();
	mymssql_db.SetTrace();

return true;
}

So if you could give me some hints about some tests to perform or what to look for in my code I could really use it.

Thanks,
gio

[Updated on: Mon, 21 December 2020 09:55]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55844 is a reply to message #55812] Mon, 21 December 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was this correct in your whole code?
Quote:
SQL = myDB;
Sql query(myDB);

the insertion below is working for me in Sqlite3 - try to adopt the code to your MS_SQL_Server_connection (your Commit, Rollback & WasError() are included in this code, I just can not check for ms_sql_server & therefore cannot provide adopted example)... but such is my view on insertion
#include <Core/Core.h>
#include <plugin/sqlite3/Sqlite3.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	Cout() << "Start" << EOL;

Sqlite3Session myDB;	// <<<<<<<<<<<<<< ADOPT TO YOUR MS_Sql_Server.....
	if(!myDB.Open(ConfigFile("DATA.db"))) {
		LOG("Can't create or open database file\n");
		return;
	}
#ifdef _DEBUG
	myDB.SetTrace();
#endif

SQL = myDB;	
	// ======================= initial data
	String s = "[{\"A\":\"valA1\", \"B\":\"valB1\"}, {\"A\":\"valA2\", \"B\":\"valB2\"}]";
	ValueMap js=ParseJSON(s);   // frankly speaking ValueArray should be perhaps, but it works for me...
	int jsz=js.GetCount();

// ======================= create tbl
	SQL.Execute("drop table IF EXISTS tbl;");
	SQL.Execute("create table IF NOT EXISTS tbl (A STRING , B STRING, PRIMARY KEY (A));");

// ======================= insert into tbl
	Sql query(myDB);		// (my_db)
	query.SetStatement("INSERT INTO tbl ( A, B) VALUES ( ?, ?) ");
	// initialize transaction
	query.Begin();
        // loop to insert rows
	for(size_t i = 0; i < jsz; i++) {			
	   	query.SetParam(0,~js[i]["A"]);
	   	query.SetParam(1,~js[i]["B"]);	   	
		query.Execute();			
	}
	// error behavior
	if(query.WasError()){
		Cout() << query.GetLastError();
		query.Rollback();
		return;		// false;
	}
	//Save data & unlock db
	query.Commit();
	Cout() << "Done" << EOL;

// ======================= select to console_view	
	if (query.Execute("SELECT * FROM tbl"))
	{
		Cout() << "Call succeeded" << EOL;

for (int i = 0; i < query.GetColumnCount(); ++i) {
			Cout() << Format("%d: %s", i, query.GetColumnInfo(i).name) << EOL;
		}

while (query.Fetch()) {
			Cout() << query[0] << " ; " << query[1] << EOL;
		}
	}
	else
	{
		Cout() << "Call failed" << EOL;
		Cout() << SQL.GetLastError() << EOL;
	}
}

if you put "valA1" to both A-key values in json-string -- you will catch
Quote:
SQL logic error

p.s.
I don't know whether SqlMassInsert will be quicker, but using Transactions gives the possibility for Rollback - I am not sure about this possibility in SqlMassInsert, perhaps it is being done automatically for this class - in LOG should be seen, - but I didn't check SqlMassInsert& UseTransaction(bool b = true) == testing needed to compare the speed of 2 approaches (my & SqlMassInsert)
Wish you good luck if my code could be helpful for you... or somebody can notice some mistakes with a fresh_eye Embarassed

Best regards.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 January 2021 17:08]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55847 is a reply to message #55830] Tue, 22 December 2020 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 18 December 2020 14:02
I've found out that the problem arises only in debug mode. The problem is the ASSERT at line 200 and 215 in ODBC/ODC.cpp. I can live without having the capability to debug that part of code, although it's very handy when there are issues (a problem with that part of the code was the reason I turned on the debugger in the first place).

So "arises only in debug mode" means that you see the warning in debug mode, but in release the same condition, which would trigger assert, does nothing and continues further.

ASSERT usually ensures conditions which "must be true" (and there is no need to check it at runtime) and the code after them usually is written in such a way that it may often crash hard if the condition is false.

So you get assert warning only in debug mode, but most likely the real problem is happening in release too, it's just not catched early by ASSERT, but causes havoc further down the line. In some situations you may be lucky that the code after is robust enough to survive even when condition is false, and the assert is rather just information that something is seriously broken in the code, way beyond the author expectations.

I think I found the problem. In the ODBC there is a member called tmode of type "TransactionMode". TransactionMode can be NORMAL or IMPLICIT. There is also the related method SetTransactionMode to modify tmode. For some reason it was set to NORMAL and that caused the issue. Setting it to IMPLICT fixed the problem.

Unfortunately I did not found any reference to SetTransactionMode in the forum so the only way to understand the problem was inspecting the ODBC.h and ODBC.cpp code. The problem was specifically related to MSSQLSession, so nothing in the query itself was wrong and changing it would not have helped. I do not think that my code was "seriously broken in the code, way beyond the author expectations" and I do think that who wrote that piece of code could have easily given some hint about the origin of the problem.
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55850 is a reply to message #55847] Tue, 22 December 2020 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Giorgio wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 11:44
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 18 December 2020 14:02

I think I found the problem. In the ODBC there is a member called tmode of type "TransactionMode". TransactionMode can be NORMAL or IMPLICIT. There is also the related method SetTransactionMode to modify tmode. For some reason it was set to NORMAL and that caused the issue. Setting it to IMPLICT fixed the problem.

Unfortunately I did not found any reference to SetTransactionMode in the forum so the only way to understand the problem was inspecting the ODBC.h and ODBC.cpp code. The problem was specifically related to MSSQLSession, so nothing in the query itself was wrong and changing it would not have helped. I do not think that my code was "seriously broken in the code, way beyond the author expectations" and I do think that who wrote that piece of code could have easily given some hint about the origin of the problem.

Sorry for the late reply, only now I have checked all details.

The ASSERT should basically mean that there is mismatch between Begin and Commit/Rollback pairs.

NORMAL transaction mode means you are using Begin/Commit/Rollback. Without Begin, there is commit after each statement. Transactions can be nested (it that case, only top-level transaction is relevant).

In IMPLICIT mode, each commit or rollback starts another transaction. Begin is the same as commit, mismatch between Begin/Commit is ignored. That is why you are not seeing the problem with IMPLICIT mode...

That said, I cannot construct a scenario which would lead to failure you describe. Would it be possible to insert DDUMP(tlevel) before both ASSERTs? (and post here the result...)

Mirek
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55851 is a reply to message #55850] Tue, 22 December 2020 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
One little issue: You are supposed to use Begin/End/Commit with your session, not query - that is deprecated. But in fact, the result should be the same (it just calls GetSession().Begin().. etc...)

For what is worth, I have altered SQL_MSSQL reference example to check the issue:

#include "app.h"

#include <Sql/sch_schema.h>
#include <Sql/sch_source.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	MSSQLSession mssql;
	if(!mssql.Connect("Driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};Server=localhost;Database=master;Trusted_Connection=Yes;")) {
		Cout() << "Connect failed: " << mssql.GetLastError() << '\n';
		return;
	}

SQL = mssql;

SqlSchema sch(MSSQL);
	StdStatementExecutor se(SQL.GetSession());
	All_Tables(sch);
	ODBCPerformScript(sch.Upgrade(), se);
	ODBCPerformScript(sch.Attributes(), se);

#ifdef _DEBUG
	mssql.SetTrace();
	mssql.LogErrors();
	mssql.ThrowOnError();
#endif

SQL.Begin();
	try {
		for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
			SQL * Insert(TEST)(ID, i)(TEXT, String('A' + i, 1));
	}
	catch(SqlExc e)
	{
		DDUMP(e);
	}

if(SQL.WasError()) {
		DLOG("There was ERROR!");
		SQL.Rollback();
	}
	else
		SQL.Commit();

S_TEST tst;
	Sql sql;
	sql * Select(tst).From(TEST);
	while(sql.Fetch(tst))
		Cout() << tst.ID << ", " << tst.TEXT << '\n';
}

and everything works as expected...

Mirek
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #55855 is a reply to message #55851] Wed, 23 December 2020 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek wrote on Tue, 22 December 2020 18:49
One little issue: You are supposed to use Begin/End/Commit with your session, not query - that is deprecated.

thanks for corrections of my view!
then we can use "try-catch" for query/transaction & WasError()-catching for the session, as I can see... will remember Smile
& thanks to Giorgio for such useful question

Best regards.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 December 2020 09:47]

Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #56109 is a reply to message #55850] Wed, 27 January 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hello,
I made a lot of tests in the last weeks and I still cannot wrap my head around this error.

To begn with, I had some issues with DDUMP: if I put that before the assert and I try to compile in release mode I got "error C2018: unknown character '0x40'". So I used RDUMP in release. In debug mode DDUMP is ok.

Anyway, I noticed in the log "tlevel = 0" and just after that "tlevel = -1" so inspecting closely the code I found this in the destructor of the class:

if(my_mssql_db.IsOpen()){
		my_mssql_db.Commit();
		my_mssql_db.Close();
	}

Actually, that extra .Commit() was wrong (there was no matching between the .Begin and the .Commit/.Rollback) and after I removed it the "tlevel = -1" disappeared... but the application crashed anyway.

So I tried something different. The code I posted initially is actually a simplified version of my code. What I'm doing is inserting a header/body document, so I have a query that insert the header in a table and after that a for cycle for the body in a different table. Initially I used just one Sql object both for the header and the body, so I tried to use two different Sql objects, one for the body and one for the header:

bool InsertDocument(ValueMap * header, vector<vm*> * rows){

Sql query_header(my_mssql_db);
	query_header.ClearError();

Sql query_body(my_mssql_db);
	query_body.ClearError();

query_header.Begin();
	query_body.Begin();

try{
  		query_heder * Insert(My_mssql_header_table)(*header);
  	} catch(SqlExc) {
  		ErrorOK(query_header.GetLastError());
  	}

for(vector<vm*>::iterator it = rows->begin(); it != rows->end(); ++it) {
    	try{
    		query_body * Insert(My_mssql_body_table)(*it);
    	} catch(SqlExc) {
    		ErrorOK(query_body.GetLastError());
    	}
    }

if(query_header.WasError() || query_body.WasError(){
		query_body.Rollback();
		query_header.Rollback();
		return false;
	}

query_header.Commit();
	query_body.Commit();
    return true;
}

After a couple of tests it seemed to work, but in the end also this approach led to crashes. At the end I decided to scrap the Commit altogether, so each insert it's by itself. After a couple of week of usage I got no crashes. This approach can lead to some inconsistencies (e.g. an header without a body), but luckily enough this is a quite isolated part of the application, so I can manage manually this kind of situation.

What baffles me is that - AFAIK - using a transaction to bundle together a bunch of insert is perfectly fine (it's actually the best solution because in case of problem you rollback the entire set of instructions - both the insert in the header and those in the body), so I cannot understand why using "isolated" insert is working while Commit leads to crashes.

Regards,
gio
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #56110 is a reply to message #56109] Wed, 27 January 2021 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Giorgio wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 16:44
Hello,
I made a lot of tests in the last weeks and I still cannot wrap my head around this error.

To begn with, I had some issues with DDUMP: if I put that before the assert and I try to compile in release mode I got "error C2018: unknown character '0x40'". So I used RDUMP in release. In debug mode DDUMP is ok.

That is a correct behaviour. See, the reason for DDUMP is that ppl often forget debugging logs in the code. So if it does not compile in release, you are forced to remove them...

query_body.ClearError();

query_header.Begin();
	query_body.Begin();

This is really quite ugly code: Transaction is associated with SqlSession, so the second begin starts the second level.

Mirek
Re: ODBC Assertion failed [message #56113 is a reply to message #56110] Thu, 28 January 2021 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 17:08
Giorgio wrote on Wed, 27 January 2021 16:44
Hello,

query_body.ClearError();

query_header.Begin();
	query_body.Begin();

This is really quite ugly code: Transaction is associated with SqlSession, so the second begin starts the second level.

I agree Rolling Eyes it was one desperate attempt, at the end I removed the "double" session...

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2021 09:27]

Previous Topic: OleDBSession in Archive
Next Topic: sqlite3 Custom Function in SqlExp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:44:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01829 seconds