Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » How to Sync computer Time in a network?
How to Sync computer Time in a network? [message #55896] Mon, 28 December 2020 10:05 Go to next message
sinpeople is currently offline  sinpeople
Promising Member

Hi folks,

In a network where multiple clients reporting timing-sensitive information to a server, how can the synchronization of computer time be done in this situation? Time accuracy needs to be <10ms difference in all computers.

Thank you!

Best Regards
David
Re: How to Sync computer Time in a network? [message #55897 is a reply to message #55896] Mon, 28 December 2020 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

This should be the job of the system administrator(s) of those computers Smile Network time protocol is usually used to take care of this. There are many implementations of NTP servers and clients for all platforms, so it should be an easy task.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: How to Sync computer Time in a network? [message #55899 is a reply to message #55896] Mon, 28 December 2020 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
sinpeople wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 10:05
Time accuracy needs to be <10ms difference in all computers.

With modern 100Mbit networks you have some chance to achieve this, but it's far from "guaranteed", and also I'm struggling to see how you will verify it.

Plus the PC itself will drift over time from the accurate time, not sure what modern PC numbers are, but back in 90's the PC RTC did drift couple of seconds per day, so you should resync often.

Overall if you *must* have all computers synced all the time, and you have no fallback/recovery plan, I have very bad feel about this, you probably shouldn't use PC and Internet for such task.
Re: How to Sync computer Time in a network? [message #55900 is a reply to message #55896] Mon, 28 December 2020 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Check these links for NTP

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/97853/whats-the-best-way -to-synchronize-times-to-millisecond-accuracy-and-precision- b

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: How to Sync computer Time in a network? [message #56201 is a reply to message #55896] Mon, 08 February 2021 06:34 Go to previous message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Without further details I feel compelled to ask: are you sure you need it? I remember one case where a client wanted synchronized times for some software and he ran into tons of trust-related issues, even with NTP. The solution to this problem was simple - just let the server track all the times based on when it receives an event. Then you don't need any complex synchronization across the network.
Everyone else gave you the common answer so I just wanted to make sure you weren't overthinking it and trusting client machines too much (especially when there is money involved - imagine if someone realized they could manipulate value by simply changing their system clock).
Previous Topic: GuiLock and GuiUnlock objects are of different type.
Next Topic: code to more than one database and your threads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:15:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01046 seconds