FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » IGAL encrypted folder
IGAL encrypted folder [message #55903] Tue, 29 December 2020 14:49 Go to next message
idkfa46 is currently offline  idkfa46
Experienced Member

Hi guys,
my upp folder has been encrypted by IGAL ransomware virus.
In your opinion is there any chance to find out the decryption key comparing a couple of files I have in both versions encrypted and not encrypted?

Thanks
Re: IGAL encrypted folder [message #55905 is a reply to message #55903] Thu, 31 December 2020 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello idkfa46,

My knowledge about this kind of soft are extremely limited so don't take my speak for truth !

In my opinion it wont really help you.
To crack this kind of software you need algorithm used to encrypt. in your case, if you know the algorithm you can still try to create a quickprogram that decrypt your file with a random key then if the hash of your file match with the original one then you have decryption key. On the paper this way of working will always work but in reallity if IGAL use an encryption algorithm based on key with a minimun size of 256 bit then it gonna be impossible to find the decryption key by using bruteforcing.

Quote:
Even if you use Tianhe-2 (MilkyWay-2), the fastest supercomputer in the world, it will take millions of years to crack 256-bit AES encryption.

Again, I'm far from being an expert and my knowledge is highly limited.
Re: IGAL encrypted folder [message #55916 is a reply to message #55905] Sat, 02 January 2021 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idkfa46 is currently offline  idkfa46
Experienced Member

I think you are true... decryption with an online ID seems to be impossible at the moment!

What is a good back-up solution to prevent this kind of data loss? As far as I understood this kind of virus affects the overall SDD, USB external drivers connected, and the cloud storage too...

Best,
Matteo
Re: IGAL encrypted folder [message #55917 is a reply to message #55916] Sat, 02 January 2021 21:24 Go to previous message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
idkfa46 wrote on Sat, 02 January 2021 17:31

What is a good back-up solution to prevent this kind of data loss? As far as I understood this kind of virus affects the overall SDD, USB external drivers connected, and the cloud storage too...

Any backup that has version control (GIT, SVN) or rights management (no right to change uploaded files - GCP).

[Updated on: Sat, 02 January 2021 21:24]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Open_CV
Next Topic: Strange Architecture
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:06:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02209 seconds