Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Documentation » achieve low file size of compiled executable how ?
achieve low file size of compiled executable how ? [message #55913] Fri, 01 January 2021 18:20 Go to next message
khan999 is currently offline  khan999
Promising Member
Respected developers, Razz
I have been using mfc visual studio.
Whenever I need low file size I simply use "Use MFC in a Shared DLL".
It becomes 9mb's to 100kb's executable.

And I am new to U++.
But here when I check shared libs option in U++ it becomes 6mb's to 1mb's only.
Is there any way I could achieve low file size as much as possible ? Or this is final expected size ?
I have hope because its uses MS VC++ and mfc also uses that same compiler.
Regards. Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 01 January 2021 18:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: achieve low file size of compiled executable how ? [message #55914 is a reply to message #55913] Sat, 02 January 2021 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
The U++ framework is quite independent from platform specific libraries (DLL files in windows, system libsomething.so in linux, ...), and even reimplementing some parts of standard C++ library.

So it's actually quite a big chunk of machine code, think more like kf5libs in KDE projects and similar (but KDE/Qt is even much much larger).

So 1-3MB is what is to be expected, it's not strong side of U++ to produce 64kiB intros, for that you need other tools (usually everything custom and not using any framework at all Smile ).

You could probably squash the executable further by using exe-packer like UPX, but then it will be more likely marked by modern antivirus heuristic as some generic threat or at least suspicious file.

Actually for large GUI apps, the final U++ executable is usually quite small (like under 10MB) compared to similar apps created in other toolkits, but for tiny apps like "hello world" there's extra price for the cross-platform nature of U++.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 January 2021 00:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: achieve low file size of compiled executable how ? [message #55915 is a reply to message #55914] Sat, 02 January 2021 09:26 Go to previous message
khan999 is currently offline  khan999
Promising Member
If U++ would have GUI editor for win32 api as well, Embarassed it would be more superb.
Okay no problem, Smile I am happy to continue with U++ as U++ framework have GUI editor and less output file size including dependencies as compared to QT and C++ builder.
But I have 1 more concern. Does U++ supports to output file release in parts ?
I am sure it embeds all dependencies in 1 exe.
So I wish it would include dependencies as files not embeds.
Is there any option ?
And thanks for support. Very Happy
Previous Topic: Overhauled Topic++ entry for ColumnList
Next Topic: Reference guide: i made a pdf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:57:55 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01569 seconds