FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » UppHub and version managment
UppHub and version managment [message #55956] Wed, 06 January 2021 20:41 Go to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I would like to ask how do we want to handle selecting specific version of the package from UppHub. In the current implementation you always pull master branch, which might be unstable at the moment. We know all how many times upp trunk version is broken for example somebody forgets to remove DDUMP Smile.

In my first message about the idea of creating source code package manager I mentioned the example of golang package manager. It allows to specific the version of the given package (tag, branch or commit) - moreover if the package depends to other it depends to certain version/versions. This gives stability.

So, for example I have a project call "A" and I should have the possibility to select package "B" from UppHub with certain version on package declaration level (.upp file).

Small digression. Right now the default branch name for newly created GitHub repos is main - not master, so we will need to handle it somehow.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: UppHub and version managment [message #56117 is a reply to message #55956] Thu, 28 January 2021 13:19 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 20:41
Hello,

I would like to ask how do we want to handle selecting specific version of the package from UppHub. In the current implementation you always pull master branch, which might be unstable at the moment.

You can specify tag or branch (after space).

Quote:

That said, maybe it is not a bad practice to have master stable and develop always in the branch....
Small digression. Right now the default branch name for newly created GitHub repos is main - not master, so we will need to handle it somehow.

Not really, if you do not specify it when cloning, the default one is used...

Mirek
Previous Topic: [Proposal] The maintainer and the future of TURTLE package
Next Topic: New UppHub root
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:01:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01185 seconds