Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » UppHub - new package registration (How do we want to solve this problem?)
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56260 is a reply to message #56256] Mon, 15 February 2021 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 14 February 2021 17:56
The branch to be installed is there since the beginning - check the docs

Actually, it is hard to spot in the docs.
IMHO, it would be much better (for tooling) to have branch as a separate key-value pair.
I'm currently have a lot of problems because this pair is missing.

Regards,
Novo
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56265 is a reply to message #56094] Mon, 15 February 2021 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Quote:
I think for most projects master/main is unstable. If it is stable enough and certain features are present then the master became release via tagging. If it requires more polishing then release branch is created and then tagged if everything is fine.

I agree with Mirek here. git-based development is meant to be done via branches. Development should be done in developmental branches and the changes should be merged to master/main after they are streamlined and tested. Only then the package main branch is tagged a milestone or release.

I believe, however, it would be inappropriate to force this scheme to developers.

By the way, maybe the branching issue should be fixed in a more geneal way, via our repo tool. So that we can switch branches without manually cloning the package elsewhere or disrupting the upphub scheme.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56270 is a reply to message #56265] Mon, 15 February 2021 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I feel like the whole PR issue for the list is completely missing the point.

The list maintainer should actually test the module before adding it to the list. The list information is the least important part...
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56285 is a reply to message #56163] Wed, 17 February 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 15:58

That includes my build automation system.

BTW, I was thinking: Would it be in perspective possible to commit (automatically) your results to UppHub as some Json in some form? Probably only if changed to keep number of commits low.

It is just an idea, but I think this could definitely allow us to do some thing automatically, like OS support, detecting broken packages etc... UppHub code could refer directly to your files.

Mirek
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56292 is a reply to message #56285] Wed, 17 February 2021 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Wed, 17 February 2021 03:07
Novo wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 15:58

That includes my build automation system.

BTW, I was thinking: Would it be in perspective possible to commit (automatically) your results to UppHub as some Json in some form? Probably only if changed to keep number of commits low.

It is just an idea, but I think this could definitely allow us to do some thing automatically, like OS support, detecting broken packages etc... UppHub code could refer directly to your files.

Mirek

My build automation system is based on Buildbot (for historical reasons).
Buildbot is used by almost all major IT companies. Example: LLVM/Clang.
Buildbot has a concept of "reporters". Most useful reporters in case of U++ are email, Telegram, and GitHubStatusPush.
I've already set up a Telegram bot, which can report results of U++ builds. It is currently down because U++ builds and my own builds share same setup. I need to separate them first.
I guess you do not want to get spammed by emails from Buildbot. Smile
Another useful thing is GitHubStatusPush, which is using GitHub Status API to report build result directly to GitHub.
I do not want to develop custom reporters to produce JSON files or something else. At least right now.
My current goal is to make osxcross work to get rid of an always running MacOS VM, which is using 8GB of RAM and keeps one CPU busy all the time.
And Buildbot requires explicit branch name ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56294 is a reply to message #56292] Thu, 18 February 2021 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
This is how current situation with builds looks like at the moment.
"l" stands for Linux (Ubuntu)
"al" stands for Alpine Linux.
"m" - MacOS 10.13
"m11" - MacOS 11.1
"mingw" - mingw-clang (cross-compiler for Windows)

Regards,
Novo
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56306 is a reply to message #56294] Fri, 19 February 2021 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Problem with branch is now fixed.

I have improved hidden url settings:

These are now activated by F12 or by activating verbose mode. They allow to override the url of upphub list, even allowing to set it to file. In practice, it means you can clone UppHub repo, test the list changes and then push tested list.
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56307 is a reply to message #56306] Fri, 19 February 2021 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:
Problem with branch is now fixed.

I have improved hidden url settings:

These are now activated by F12 or by activating verbose mode. They allow to override the url of upphub list, even allowing to set it to file. In practice, it means you can clone UppHub repo, test the list changes and then push tested list.

OK, thanks. This wiil come really handy.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56310 is a reply to message #56307] Fri, 19 February 2021 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

I think "Settings" should be visible all the time in UppHub. I think it is nothing wrong to have "alternative" nests.json if you are know what you are doing. This is also fine for security reasons. If somebody wants to host all remotes packages on internal servers and do not want to use the public ones, then fine.

I think we should make it visible for all and add additional prompt that changing the value might break UppHub. Please noticed that you can accidental press F12 and modify and forget that something wrong happend with UppHub. I would like to avoid such situation.

The button "Reset to defaults" should also do the job.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56396 is a reply to message #56169] Thu, 04 March 2021 15:19 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 22:59
Hello Mirek,

I have noticed an issues with the license and readme files: Since these files reside in the root directory, TheIDE is unable to read them (in the license information window or via the package files section.)

Best regards,
Oblivion

Found a way how to solve this nicely:

https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=5 6395&#msg_56395

Mirek
Previous Topic: How can I use CORE/SSL to sign something or check signatures?
Next Topic: How does one get argc and argv parms when making use of GUI_APP_MAIN?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:20:34 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03125 seconds