Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » win toolchain
win toolchain [message #56786] Fri, 16 April 2021 06:11 Go to next message
mtdew3q is currently offline  mtdew3q
Experienced Member

Hi

The download link says win toolchain and search for Microsoft compiler. I've used a basic Microsoft compiler before to do very simple things but where can I get info on win toolchain?

The reason I ask is I read if you swap out g++ with clang in make files clang can compile link build. Is it linking with gcc libraries or different libraries?

Can we run in U++ without win32 toolchain?

Or mingw so I can distribute easier.

I haven't looked at anything windows since visual c++6.0. (20) years ago

Thanks for any tips!
robo-loki

Re: win toolchain [message #56787 is a reply to message #56786] Fri, 16 April 2021 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi-

I just read it can support gcc libraries.

Thanks,
robo-loki
Re: win toolchain [message #56798 is a reply to message #56786] Fri, 16 April 2021 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi all-

I am going to be brave and try a windows compiler.

Novo said he might work on firebird 3.0 soon and I think it is very valuable to have c++ access to firebird 3.0 on windows platform!

Thanks
Robo-loki

Re: win toolchain [message #56826 is a reply to message #56786] Sun, 18 April 2021 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi-

I fooled around with visual studio 17 community edition.

I noticed they have this concept of using the windows cl command in a shell. With it you can compile/build things kind of like a gcc from the command line .

Is there a way I can run that in a macro or something?

I understand that I am not supposed to use mingw for firebird, and I don't even think firebird can use clang to build firebird for windows.

So no gcc, clang, or mingw unless posix with firebird.

I did get the visual studio to autodetect at install and compile and run in U++.

Just wondering how to run cl in U++ with the U++ project files if that is what ya'll do.

I'm off to read about U++ macros to see if I can run cl from within U++.

thanks.
robo-loki
Re: win toolchain [message #56827 is a reply to message #56786] Sun, 18 April 2021 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi -

When I ran this macro, it told me it didn't know where the include file is because it is specified in U++ project. It however (the cl) was trying to work.

macro "Navigation":"Find next \"TopWindow\"" Ctrl+T {
	.Execute("cmd");
    .Execute("cd c:/WINDOWS/system32/md.exe");
	.Execute("cl c:/upp/MyApps/abc123/abc123.cpp");
}

It is an example to show that I am trying to run the microsoft compiler from within U++ to compile and build, so I can be compatible in windows to use the UppHub firebird 3.0. I will keep brainstorming. I have another couple of weeks because Novo can't get to it right away. He is busy.

Thanks for any input.

robo-loki
Re: win toolchain [message #56830 is a reply to message #56786] Sun, 18 April 2021 05:37 Go to previous message
Experienced Member

Hi all-

Phew... I spent some time getting some recon.

I figured out how to use the microsoft compiler inside U++, so I can run it inside of ultimate (I think). I can use a U++ macro and incorporate microsoft nmake files.

Maybe they can use mingw64 to run Novo's firebird in windows.... I don't know. I know the firebird builders use microsoft tools to build it from source.

Well, sorry for talking to myself so much everyone. I do that a lot. I will work on my nmake quietly this week and next, so I am ready for Novo whenever he gets a chance.

thanks all,
robo-loki

[Updated on: Sun, 18 April 2021 05:38]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Linking Has Failed
Next Topic: clang works with visual c++ compiler!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:08:06 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03202 seconds