Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Finally going to git... (?)
Finally going to git... (?) [message #57318] Mon, 12 July 2021 09:55 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
With upphub working nicely, I am thinking about finally going git.

It has some problems though, it would mean that the current tree becomes locked for everybody except me as whole and the only way to change things will be pull requests. Which is in general not so different from now, but still there are parts actively developed by other ppl.

So before going there, there needs to be some further partitioning. I plan to move theide sources to separate git repo (and upphub module), uppbox as well, rainbow now can be removed archive or sandbox (or both). Some of internals, like "plugin/box2d" will go to separate repos as well.

One nasty problem: What to do with autogenerated Makefile? I guess that one will need to be moved to theide repo?

Any comments?

Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57319 is a reply to message #57318] Mon, 12 July 2021 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Mirek,

Quote:
it would mean that the current tree becomes locked for everybody except me

From what I know about github, you can give access to other personnes. (I don't know if adding more than a certain number result in a need to upgrade to a 'professional' offer)

Quote:
he only way to change things will be pull requests

We work with pull request in my company and it bring many advantages, the most interesting one (from my perspective) is the possibility to have is code reviewed by someone far more skilled on a subject. Another one is keeping a story of all things added to the repository via PR. And last but not least, maybe it can reduce the amount of work you do to implement forum's propositions ?
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57320 is a reply to message #57319] Mon, 12 July 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Xemuth wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 10:29
Hello Mirek,

Quote:
it would mean that the current tree becomes locked for everybody except me

From what I know about github, you can give access to other personnes. (I don't know if adding more than a certain number result in a need to upgrade to a 'professional' offer)

It is not about that. It is about different subfolders having different access. Currently, more people than me can change theide, but only I can change Core/CtrlLib/CtrlCore... AFAIK, you cannot do that with git.

(Frankly, this is mostly because personally I treat trunk as 'stable', using it for normal development. I believe that it significantly speedups thing and increases the stability, but there is very little tolerance for bugs that are not introduced by me...)

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2021 11:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57324 is a reply to message #57320] Mon, 12 July 2021 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 05:11

It is not about that. It is about different subfolders having different access. Currently, more people than me can change theide, but only I can change Core/CtrlLib/CtrlCore... AFAIK, you cannot do that with git.

Git actually CAN do that. But that depends on a server.
Example: restricting pushes by dir/file name.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57325 is a reply to message #57324] Mon, 12 July 2021 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 10:40

There was a discussion about GIT in Coffee Corner about half a year ago: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57326 is a reply to message #57325] Mon, 12 July 2021 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 16:52
Novo wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 10:40

There was a discussion about GIT in Coffee Corner about half a year ago: Using of GIT instead of SVN for Upp development.

My mistake. Should have wrote "github"...

Mirek
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57327 is a reply to message #57326] Mon, 12 July 2021 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 11:37

My mistake. Should have wrote "github"...

Mirek

But you can use github as a read-only mirror...
A beauty of distributed VCS is that you do not have a central server as in case of SVN.
IMHO, the only reason to use github as a development server is that you absolutely do not want to host your own server.
My local gitolite server (hosted in an Alpine Linux container) uses only 12 MB of RAM. That is including OS itself.

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2021 18:32]

Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57328 is a reply to message #57327] Mon, 12 July 2021 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
We already use github as mirror....

And yes, not hosting own server is one of reasons.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2021 21:09]

Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57329 is a reply to message #57328] Mon, 12 July 2021 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello all,

If Upp goes full GIT and UppHub, one thing gets in the way : at work UppHub is useless : I can't access through FW (or maybe a proxy configuration could be added)

So there should be at least be a page in theIde or Web where all the repos are listed so that we can access directly the repos
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57330 is a reply to message #57328] Mon, 12 July 2021 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 15:08

And yes, not hosting own server is one of reasons.

I do not know what kind of git workflow you are planning to use, but, IMHO, you'll need a local server.
For example, when you need to check code developed on Windows on other platforms.
Other platforms won't be able to access your local repo to fetch changes. Well, unless you want to commit unchecked changes to github.
Well, you can access remote repo via SSH, but you are on Windows, AFAIK, and in the past lfs didn't work over SSH (not sure about now).
In case of a local server you will be able to fix problems on other platforms, and run "rebase interactive" to squash a commit with a fix. This way you will have a clean history.
IMHO, GIT is not just SVN without a server, it is a completely different tool with features like submodules, subtrees, worktrees, rebases, and the ability to easily destroy whole repo Smile

Just my two cents.

BTW, github is slow.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57331 is a reply to message #57329] Mon, 12 July 2021 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Didier wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 22:23
Hello all,

If Upp goes full GIT and UppHub, one thing gets in the way : at work UppHub is useless : I can't access through FW (or maybe a proxy configuration could be added)

So there should be at least be a page in theIde or Web where all the repos are listed so that we can access directly the repos

Do you mean that your work firewall does not allow access to GitHub?

What kind of work are you doing there? Smile

Mirek
Re: Finally going to git... (?) [message #57332 is a reply to message #57329] Tue, 13 July 2021 00:30 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Didier wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 16:23
Hello all,

In your situation I'd clone Upp on a flash-drive, and clone a repo at work from this flash-drive.
One thing: this flash-drive repo should be either a mirror repo (if you do not want to push back to UppHub) or a bare repo, because in both cases you won't get source code checked out.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: .gitignore
Next Topic: set up ide minimize option when Execute (Ctrl + F5)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 00:58:12 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02920 seconds