Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Linux Executable (is there a way to build a linux executable from U++ on windows?)
Linux Executable [message #57396] Wed, 04 August 2021 13:11 Go to next message
adham_selim is currently offline  adham_selim
I need to build a .exe for linux but im using U++ on windows. Is there a way to do this or will I have to install linux?
Re: Linux Executable [message #57397 is a reply to message #57396] Wed, 04 August 2021 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
adham_selim wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 13:11
I need to build a .exe for linux but im using U++ on windows. Is there a way to do this or will I have to install linux?

You have to install linux (in VM perhaps).

Also be warned, things are more complicated, there is nothing like ".exe for Linux". Best you can do is ".exe" for specific linux distribution, like Ubuntu 2021.4 (that is also why U++ ide recompiles on installation).
Re: Linux Executable [message #57398 is a reply to message #57397] Wed, 04 August 2021 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
mirek wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 14:36
Best you can do is ".exe" for specific linux distribution

I haven't tried it myself, but AppImage looks like solution of this problem: https://appimage.org/
Re: Linux Executable [message #57401 is a reply to message #57396] Thu, 05 August 2021 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
adham_selim wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 07:11

Try to check what Docker can do for you.
Docker is based on Linux containers (lightweight version of VM).
Advantage - you do not need to install Linux. Docker will automatically download a preinstalled image for you.
Disadvantage - you will need to learn how to use Docker.
There are images with preinstalled Clang or GCC.
You'll just need to create an image with U++, which is using umk as a build tool.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Linux Executable [message #57402 is a reply to message #57401] Thu, 05 August 2021 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 03:58

Advantage - you do not need to install Linux. Docker will automatically download a preinstalled image for you.
You'll just need to create an image with U++, which is using umk as a build tool.

Guys, why I appreciate your suggestions, this is Newbie corner...
Re: Linux Executable [message #57422 is a reply to message #57402] Fri, 06 August 2021 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 03:36
Novo wrote on Thu, 05 August 2021 03:58

Guys, why I appreciate your suggestions, this is Newbie corner...

What's wrong with Docker? It is the same VM, but instead of installing packages manually you do this via a script (a Dockerfile).
Nobody uses VMs directly these days. A worst case scenario is a container. But Docker is even easier than that, although it is better suited for server apps.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Linux Executable [message #57423 is a reply to message #57422] Fri, 06 August 2021 02:25 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Useful info:
dockcross - Cross compiling toolchains in Docker images

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2021 16:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: GridCtrl - get width column
Next Topic: Cannot debug application on ubuntu linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:34:27 CEST 2024