Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Anyone ever mess with Vulkan?
Anyone ever mess with Vulkan? [message #58063] Wed, 02 February 2022 13:34 Go to next message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Still working through it and I have a basic ctrl that only clears the ctrl to a random color on linux for now. Honestly though if I was going to create a VulkanDraw I do wonder about how to properly architect it. I'm considering going back and rearchitecting the VideoCtrl because it is admittedly not very well-written and I wanted Vulkan HW support anyway.

I'm looking at Mirek's JetStory in combination with the GlDraw source to see how I would adapt Vulkan. It took hundreds of lines of code just to get to a clear screen routine Very Happy, but from what I've figured out so far there's a drawing queue, you buffer up a bunch of drawing commands at once and you have a swapchain for queuing up multiple images. Initially I had some problems with redrawing during resize events because you have to go back and pretty much recreate everything - the surface, the queue, the commandbuffers, etc but I found if you pass the old surface in when creating a new one and then destroy that surface you can avoid the slowness during resize.

Will hopefully release some example code as I make more progress but I doubt I'll be able to create VulkanDraw all by myself, I'm not a graphics expert - it's more of a curiosity at the moment.
Re: Anyone ever mess with Vulkan? [message #58130 is a reply to message #58063] Thu, 24 February 2022 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello JjacksonRIAB, I did try to create a VulkanCtrl for U++ but instead of OpenGL, Vulkan is much more verbose and supply a deep access to the graphic card. Learning it take a lot of time. I did some testing ( here is workspace ) nothing fancy nor working but the thing that could interest you is this schema I did to track all vulkan interface and relation between them :
https://github.com/Xemuth/VulkanTraining/blob/main/VulkanObjectTree.jpg?raw=true

It's far from being complete but it may could help you !
Re: Anyone ever mess with Vulkan? [message #58136 is a reply to message #58063] Mon, 28 February 2022 17:04 Go to previous message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
Xemuth,
It does help! I'll take a look at it and your source. I agree from even the basic stuff I've done that it has a lot of components looks like it's going to be more difficult to expose the things that a programmer is going to want to use in all the different ways they can be used.
Previous Topic: Pointers or not?
Next Topic: Anybody proficient in Rust?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:38:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01081 seconds