Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » namespace agnostic layouts refactored
namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58355] Sat, 07 May 2022 09:28 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
So this is about ability to use layouts without "using namespace Upp". In the past, I have tried to solve that issue in layout designer, adding Upp:: before typenames and stuff, only to forget something on each iteration.

Today I have got completely different idea:

https://github.com/ultimatepp/ultimatepp/commit/4f49f919a278 55c9dee0ad33ec0864aa18de7144

and actually reverted layout designer to previous mode (of course, retained the code for ignoring those now obolsete Upp:: texts).

Do you see any problem with this new approach? I have read somewhere that unnamed namespaces in headers are bad, but I think in this particular case it should be fine...
Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58357 is a reply to message #58355] Sat, 07 May 2022 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

It seems that with new approach Upp namespace is populated. Here is tutorial/Gui16b/main.cpp file that compiles fine and it shouldn't:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

#define LAYOUTFILE <Gui16b/dlg.lay>
#include <CtrlCore/lay.h>

struct MyAppWindow : public WithDlgLayout<TopWindow> { // Upp:: prefix no longer need and it should...
	MyAppWindow() {
		CtrlLayout(*this, "MyDialog");
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	TopWindow top; // Upp:: prefix no longer required here...
	MyAppWindow().Run();
}

In context of placing anonymous namespace in header file, a lot of linters detect this as an warning. More info here. BTW, I compiled with CLANG and GCC. The second compiler produces a lot of warnings:
In file included from /home/klugier/upp/.cache/upp.out/tutorial/CtrlLib/GCC.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui.Shared/CtrlLib$blitz.cpp:238:
/home/klugier/upp/git/uppsrc/CtrlLib/PrinterJob.cpp:228:7: warning: 'Upp::PrinterDlg' has a base 'Upp::{anonymous}::WithPrinterLayout<Upp::TopWindow>' whose type uses the ano
    nymous namespace [-Wsubobject-linkage]
  228 | class PrinterDlg : public WithPrinterLayout<TopWindow> {
      |   

IMO, we shouldn't add this warning to the blacklist like we did for "-Wno-logical-op-parentheses" for Clang.

Can not we just follow old approach, but add new types (frames) like requested in #73? Anonymous namespace approach seems to have a lot of drawbacks.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 May 2022 10:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58359 is a reply to message #58357] Sat, 07 May 2022 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Sat, 07 May 2022 09:58
Hello Mirek,

It seems that with new approach Upp namespace is populated. Here is tutorial/Gui16b/main.cpp file that compiles fine and it shouldn't:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

#define LAYOUTFILE <Gui16b/dlg.lay>
#include <CtrlCore/lay.h>

struct MyAppWindow : public WithDlgLayout<TopWindow> { // Upp:: prefix no longer need and it should...
	MyAppWindow() {
		CtrlLayout(*this, "MyDialog");
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	TopWindow top; // Upp:: prefix no longer required here...
	MyAppWindow().Run();
}

In context of placing anonymous namespace in header file, a lot of linters detect this as an warning. More info here. BTW, I compiled with CLANG and GCC. The second compiler produces a lot of warnings:
In file included from /home/klugier/upp/.cache/upp.out/tutorial/CtrlLib/GCC.Debug.Debug_Full.Gui.Shared/CtrlLib$blitz.cpp:238:
/home/klugier/upp/git/uppsrc/CtrlLib/PrinterJob.cpp:228:7: warning: 'Upp::PrinterDlg' has a base 'Upp::{anonymous}::WithPrinterLayout<Upp::TopWindow>' whose type uses the ano
    nymous namespace [-Wsubobject-linkage]
  228 | class PrinterDlg : public WithPrinterLayout<TopWindow> {
      |   

IMO, we shouldn't add this warning to the blacklist like we did for "-Wno-logical-op-parentheses" for Clang.

Can not we just follow old approach, but add new types (frames) like requested in #73? Anonymous namespace approach seems to have a lot of drawbacks.

Klugier

OK, the easiest thing to do is to go back for Upp:: for types (that is actually just CtrlLib.usc setting) and keep "using namespace Upp;" (inside functions Set_Layout) for values.

Any other idea? The ideal would be "using namespace Upp;" inside WithXXXLayout struct, but that is not valid C++...

Mirek

[Updated on: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:28]

Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58360 is a reply to message #58359] Sat, 07 May 2022 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
After rethinking the issue, you are right and I am completely wrong about this. Will revert whole "refactoring" and go proposed path.
Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58362 is a reply to message #58360] Sun, 08 May 2022 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, another refactor finished.

All ok now?
Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58363 is a reply to message #58362] Sun, 08 May 2022 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Basic scenario works correctly (Gui16b), however bugs raised on GitHub are still present. When you switch from default frame to InsetFrame in Layout designer it leads to compilation error. The reason is simple, layout designer just do not prefix InsetFrame() function:
	ITEM(Upp::EditString, text, SetFrame(InsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(48, 92).TopPosZ(8, 19))
	// Should be...
	ITEM(Upp::EditString, text, SetFrame(Upp::InsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(48, 92).TopPosZ(8, 19))

Just cosmetic - could we change "default" -> "Default" for default frames. All frames start from capital letter.

Do you also plan to fix #74? In my opinion for empty class it should have no properties (just empty area) like for empty ctrl entry in usc file.

Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2022 15:57]

Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58364 is a reply to message #58363] Mon, 09 May 2022 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Klugier wrote on Sun, 08 May 2022 15:57
Hello Mirek,

Basic scenario works correctly (Gui16b), however bugs raised on GitHub are still present. When you switch from default frame to InsetFrame in Layout designer it leads to compilation error. The reason is simple, layout designer just do not prefix InsetFrame() function:
	ITEM(Upp::EditString, text, SetFrame(InsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(48, 92).TopPosZ(8, 19))
	// Should be...
	ITEM(Upp::EditString, text, SetFrame(Upp::InsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(48, 92).TopPosZ(8, 19))

Just cosmetic - could we change "default" -> "Default" for default frames. All frames start from capital letter.

Do you have latest ide? Adding namespace to enums (like InsetFrame) is exactly what I did...

Quote:

Do you also plan to fix #74? In my opinion for empty class it should have no properties (just empty area) like for empty ctrl entry in usc file.

Klugier

I am not opposed to that.

Mirek
Re: namespace agnostic layouts refactored [message #58365 is a reply to message #58364] Mon, 09 May 2022 18:09 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

After rebuilding TheIDE with the latest sources there are no more problems with frames when there is no using namespace Upp. Thanks!

Klugier

Previous Topic: 2022.1
Next Topic: 2022.2rc1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:52:38 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03112 seconds