Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) (issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew))
icon4.gif  issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) [message #58377] Fri, 13 May 2022 16:17 Go to next message
Mountacir is currently offline  Mountacir
Hello,

I encountered this problem with RTL languages. Hebrew is reversed if past in LineEdit or EditString, while Arabic is past correctly but when selected a reversed selection is overlapping the non selected text.

To reproduce this behavior, just copy and past some Arabic/Hebrew text in TheIde and try to select the Arabic text.

Samples:
"هذا مثال نصي للغة العربية"
"זוהי דוגמה טקסט לעברית"

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) [message #58412 is a reply to message #58377] Wed, 18 May 2022 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mountacir wrote on Fri, 13 May 2022 16:17
Hello,

I encountered this problem with RTL languages. Hebrew is reversed if past in LineEdit or EditString, while Arabic is past correctly but when selected a reversed selection is overlapping the non selected text.

To reproduce this behavior, just copy and past some Arabic/Hebrew text in TheIde and try to select the Arabic text.

Samples:
"هذا مثال نصي للغة العربية"
"זוהי דוגמה טקסט לעברית"

Yes, unfortunately, we do not suppor RTL at this point. This is one of serious issue that really needs to be resolved.

Frankly, I was sort of waiting for some RTL native to start working on this... Maybe this is the time?

Mirek
Re: issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) [message #58444 is a reply to message #58412] Sun, 22 May 2022 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took a look at CodeEditor's code trying to figure out a fix for at least the weird selection, but i soon give up.. still learning C++ let alone U++. But i can definitely help with testing Arabic though.
By the way, RichText displays Arabic and Hebrew perfectly, it only has one problem when typing Arabic for example, the new typed characters are always on the other side of the cursor. It also lacks the feature to mix RTL & LTR.. perhaps implementing "Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm" could fix all of that.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2022 04:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) [message #58445 is a reply to message #58444] Sun, 22 May 2022 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mountacir wrote on Sun, 22 May 2022 04:56
I took a look at CodeEditor's code trying to figure out a fix for at least the weird selection, but i soon give up.. still learning C++ let alone U++. But i can definitely help with testing Arabic though.
By the way, RichText displays Arabic and Hebrew perfectly,

That is actually sort of surprising. On what system are you?

[/quote]perhaps implementing "Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm" could fix all of that.[/quote]

Absolutely, that is the plan.

Unfortunately, left-to-right was fixed into U++ internals at the beggining (which is now 20 years ago) and nobody had guts to fix that ever since. There will be a lot of changes before we are there. But I am willing to give it a try!

Mirek
Re: issue with right to left languages (Arabic & Hebrew) [message #58446 is a reply to message #58377] Mon, 23 May 2022 05:37 Go to previous message
Quote:
By the way, RichText displays Arabic and Hebrew perfectly,..

I meant to say RichEdit, it even displays it correctly without ALIGN_RIGHT.

Quote:
That is actually sort of surprising. On what system are you?

I'm mainly on Windows.. i'll will try it on an Ubuntu machine and macOS VM tonight.

Quote:
Unfortunately, left-to-right was fixed into U++ internals at the beggining (which is now 20 years ago) and nobody had guts to fix that ever since. There will be a lot of changes before we are there. But I am willing to give it a try!

That's no easy task, I wish you good luck!
Previous Topic: Memory Mapping LineEdit Data
Next Topic: LineEdit get Key press no subclass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:29:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01270 seconds