Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » .NET
.NET [message #5232] Mon, 11 September 2006 02:06 Go to next message
qwerty is currently offline  qwerty
Experienced Member
just an idea chit chat: what do you think about .NET, (un)managed code, mono project, upp... ?
Re: .NET [message #5238 is a reply to message #5232] Mon, 11 September 2006 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

qwerty wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 20:06

just an idea chit chat: what do you think about .NET, (un)managed code, mono project, upp... ?

I don't like virtual machines... they run noticeable slower (at least startup time is much longer).
And NET is for one platform only... (I don't know how mono advanced is)
One of main reason java and net became popular was ease of gui programming. With upp coding is even easier and you can have one exe file with native code and small memory footprint..
Re: .NET [message #5240 is a reply to message #5232] Mon, 11 September 2006 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
qwerty wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 20:06

Well, if U++ is to prove something, it is the fact that garbage collection is not necessary for effective coding...

In many aspects, U++ goes against trends. But in the end, you get very fast application with low memory footprint developed as fast or faster in U++ than in .NET managed code...

Mirek
Re: .NET [message #5243 is a reply to message #5240] Mon, 11 September 2006 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
one thing bothers me.... there is need for programming model with effect like COM/COM+ (not the coding! - its terrible). has upp any solution for this?

just need to write own components without interferying code of the others... but dont like COM (.NET assemblies resolve that, but it is .NET Smile)
Re: .NET [message #5244 is a reply to message #5243] Mon, 11 September 2006 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
qwerty wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 04:42

one thing bothers me.... there is need for programming model with effect like COM/COM+ (not the coding! - its terrible). has upp any solution for this?

just need to write own components without interferying code of the others... but dont like COM (.NET assemblies resolve that, but it is .NET Smile)

Now I am not quite sure what you address... U++ has COM/OLE/OCI support for GUI components - you can relatively easily convert U++ widgets to work as OCI.

Mirek
Re: .NET [message #5248 is a reply to message #5244] Mon, 11 September 2006 11:41 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
don't mean any visual control, just some custom data access but it doesnt matter, i guess...

I've been just thinking of such a crossplatform implementation, but I think, the only solution is CORBA Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2006 11:42]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Examples for newby: dynamic widget and ownership
Next Topic: The SDL Example in Win32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:07:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01739 seconds