Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Localisation clarifications
Localisation clarifications [message #5425] Thu, 21 September 2006 08:18 Go to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

I have read the thread:
http://www.arilect.com/upp/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1017 &start=0&

So I added a .t file (read that too literally, so eventually renamed it to lang.t). Added Swedish (seSV) and Japanese (jaJP), and Synchronised. This all looked good.

For example, I ended up with:

T_("File")
jaJP("フィル")
svSE("Fil")

T_("About")
jaJP("について")
svSE("Beskriv")

I then use:
SetLanguage(LNG_('S','V','S','E'));

And I use it:
void UFxp::MainMenu(Bar& bar){
	bar.Add(t_("File"),THISBACK(FileMenu));
}
void UFxp::FileMenu(Bar& bar){
	bar.Add(t_("About"),THISBACK(do_About));
}

And for some reason, my "File" menu is still "File", but "About" actually turns up in Swedish. In Japanese I just get square boxes, presumably as it uses the wrong font.

What I am curious about is, why would you want to use SetLanguage in your code? Should it not use the Environment variables to decide which locate is preferred? If I always pick SetLanguage(ENGLISH), would that not break the idea that anyone can do .tr files to add their own locale to an application?

Is SetLanguage really supposed to be used if I have a Language> menu, and let users pick a language that way? Ie, I should leave it alone, and only set it if I chose to offer an option to set languages.

Should I be able to set LANG to seSV.UTF-8 or jaJP.UTF-8 and have my application use that language?

Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5426 is a reply to message #5425] Thu, 21 September 2006 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Have you added sth like this at the beginning of your main cpp file??

#define TFILE <your_file.t>
#include <Core/t.h>

Do it if not Wink
Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5429 is a reply to message #5426] Thu, 21 September 2006 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Yep, sure have. It works for most things (swedish) but not for Japanese.

Not sure which one to focus right now. Using 609dev-1

What is amusing is theide lets you modify your .t file, but does not work with IME input (@XMODIFIERS) so I can't use it to edit Japanese anyway.

Another thing is, before I added locale, if I set LANG to jaJP, my application automatically changed to the "wider" font, which is capable of displaying Japanese. Event though I had only SetLanguage(english) in there.

Now I added jaJP to my .t, and it no longer pics the right font, so no Japanese display works. I also tried to change to SetLanguage(jaJP) and SetDefaultCharset(utf8).

The manual/localization is very sparse.

Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5442 is a reply to message #5429] Thu, 21 September 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Have you set .t to UTF-8? (In TheIDE, Project, File properties..)

[Updated on: Thu, 21 September 2006 21:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5449 is a reply to message #5442] Fri, 22 September 2006 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

That I have:

# file lang.t
lang.t: UTF-8 Unicode C++ program text

# echo LC_CTYPE
ja_JP.UTF-8
# head lang.t
T_("Engine Connect")
jaJP("日本語")
svSE("Engine Anknyta")

But, I suspect it IS working, but because it no longer (automatically?) changes to use the correct font, it just shows square boxes. Why did it pick the right font when no jaJP was defined? (Even though the app itself had no Japanese, it worked when I printed Japanese file names). Once I add jaJP, it no longer does.

Before (notice the wide/2byte font)
http://netbsd.interq.or.jp/~lundman/UFxp5.jpg

After (notice thin normal font, which I could also get if I unsetenv LC_CTYPE in the old build)
http://netbsd.interq.or.jp/~lundman/UFxp6.jpg

Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5450 is a reply to message #5425] Fri, 22 September 2006 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 02:18

What I am curious about is, why would you want to use SetLanguage in your code? Should it not use the Environment variables to decide which locate is preferred? If I always pick SetLanguage(ENGLISH), would that not break the idea that anyone can do .tr files to add their own locale to an application?

Acutally, we have left this decision to application designer. E.g. application can pick locale settings and use proper SetLanguage based on it.

Quote:

Is SetLanguage really supposed to be used if I have a Language> menu, and let users pick a language that way? Ie, I should leave it alone, and only set it if I chose to offer an option to set languages.

Yes, that is another option.

Mirek
Re: Localisation clarifications [message #5451 is a reply to message #5449] Fri, 22 September 2006 11:07 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 20:28

That I have:

# file lang.t
lang.t: UTF-8 Unicode C++ program text

# echo LC_CTYPE
ja_JP.UTF-8
# head lang.t
T_("Engine Connect")
jaJP("日本語")
svSE("Engine Anknyta")

But, I suspect it IS working, but because it no longer (automatically?) changes to use the correct font, it just shows square boxes. Why did it pick the right font when no jaJP was defined? (Even though the app itself had no Japanese, it worked when I printed Japanese file names). Once I add jaJP, it no longer does.

Before (notice the wide/2byte font)
http://netbsd.interq.or.jp/~lundman/UFxp5.jpg

After (notice thin normal font, which I could also get if I unsetenv LC_CTYPE in the old build)
http://netbsd.interq.or.jp/~lundman/UFxp6.jpg

Well, this really looks like wrong font used. Frankly, I am becoming a kind of desperate about X.org / *X desktop environment font settings...

Anyway, you can try to solve the problem by Draw::SetStdFont - at least we will know what is going on...
Previous Topic: what about decimal-point and thousand-separator?
Next Topic: Name of a print job is in bad encoding (Windows)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:01:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01789 seconds