Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » Does the database for these forums get backed up?
Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5542] Mon, 02 October 2006 07:32 Go to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member

I'm curious to know if the database for these forums gets backed up and how often and where to ?

Graeme
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5657 is a reply to message #5542] Sat, 07 October 2006 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Mon, 02 October 2006 01:32

I'm curious to know if the database for these forums gets backed up and how often and where to ?

Graeme

Actually, a good question. In fact, something is wrong - arilect was not around for more than month and all my attempts to contact him failed so far.

Anyway, I have achieved to backup the forum today and I will do so often until he is back or until we will setup the forum somewhere else.

Mirek
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5658 is a reply to message #5657] Sat, 07 October 2006 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 08:57

Graeme

Actually, a good question. In fact, something is wrong - arilect was not around for more than month and all my attempts to contact him failed so far.

Anyway, I have achieved to backup the forum today and I will do so often until he is back or until we will setup the forum somewhere else.

Mirek

Yeah, I noticed he was missing and became concerned. I believe his name is Arijus Bernotas BTW. From google I learned he moved house in July. I wonder if the forum server is running on auto-pilot or if someone's looking after it!

Graeme
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5659 is a reply to message #5658] Sun, 08 October 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Sat, 07 October 2006 17:54

luzr wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 08:57

Graeme

Mirek

Yeah, I noticed he was missing and became concerned. I believe his name is Arijus Bernotas BTW. From google I learned he moved house in July. I wonder if the forum server is running on auto-pilot or if someone's looking after it!

Graeme

I have his celular number and even his wife's number, but so far no success (tried sending SMS so far).

Forum is on auto-pilot, but in fact nothing had to be fixed so far. I have admin access.
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5660 is a reply to message #5659] Sun, 08 October 2006 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Unfortunatly, forum backup is negative - I can make it, download the dump, but it is incomplete file Sad

Tried to contact arius via celular, ATM of "Morgan Fletcher" answered. Frankly, pretty stupid situation (and my mistake to some degree).

I think the next logical step is to contant the ISP, what do you think?
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5661 is a reply to message #5660] Sun, 08 October 2006 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 21:45

Unfortunatly, forum backup is negative - I can make it, download the dump, but it is incomplete file Sad

Tried to contact arius via celular, ATM of "Morgan Fletcher" answered. Frankly, pretty stupid situation (and my mistake to some degree).

I think the next logical step is to contant the ISP, what do you think?

Who do you mean by ISP?
Do you know where/how the forum is hosted ?

This web page still comes up
http://www.arilect.com/

Does that indicate the forum is hosted here ?
http://www.futurequest.net/

Earlier today I emailed the guy Andre mentioned on here
http://arijus.bravehost.com/dialect.htm
but no response so far. Looks like Ari's using bravehost too.

It seems pretty unlikely he would just stop communicating for no reason - I hope he's ok.

You could try someone at fudforum.org to see if they could help with the backup problem I guess.

Graeme
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5662 is a reply to message #5661] Sun, 08 October 2006 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

I hope so.

Quote:

Earlier today I emailed the guy Andre mentioned on here
http://arijus.bravehost.com/dialect.htm
but no response so far. Looks like Ari's using bravehost too.

Good idea. Thanks.

Quote:

It seems pretty unlikely he would just stop communicating for no reason - I hope he's ok.

So do I.

Quote:

You could try someone at fudforum.org to see if they could help with the backup problem I guess.

Well, I am afraid the problem is not fudforum itself, but provider stopping backup script execution - dump file has always different size.. (+/- 15MB).
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5664 is a reply to message #5662] Sun, 08 October 2006 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
[quote title=luzr wrote on Mon, 09 October 2006 00:27]
Quote:

Well, I am afraid the problem is not fudforum itself, but provider stopping backup script execution - dump file has always different size.. (+/- 15MB).

I guess that means you're using the datadump script described here.
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=28470& ;&srch=backup+script#msg_28470
I thought fudforum people might have a suggestion.

Graeme
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5667 is a reply to message #5662] Sun, 08 October 2006 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 13:27

Quote:

I hope so.

Definitely yes!

See:

Werner

Edit by fudadmin:
P.S. there's no big need to advertise some personal data... Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2006 03:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5781 is a reply to message #5667] Mon, 16 October 2006 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Yes, FutureQuest is a very reliable host. And it means that I can move houses and sometimes have holiday... Smile
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5782 is a reply to message #5781] Mon, 16 October 2006 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, maybe next time before going silent for 2 months, you should leave a notice AND do not switch your celular phone off....

You got us all scared (not only because of forums).

Mirek
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5783 is a reply to message #5782] Mon, 16 October 2006 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Sorry, Mirek, I've forgotten to send you my new phone numbers. I'll do that by PM.
Edit: Done.
Edit2:
BTW, FutureQuest do backups automatically and regularly (on nightly basis). But I had been already thinking that, as community and forums grow, some duplicate (or multi) backup would be needed. In order to save space and bandwidth one option is if I find a way to put backed-up mysqldb and other forum.gz files for someone to access from spare ftp accounts which I've got. Mirek and then maybe someone else downloads from him? Or opposite way? Other ideas?

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2006 04:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5795 is a reply to message #5783] Mon, 16 October 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 16 October 2006 04:07

Sorry, Mirek, I've forgotten to send you my new phone numbers.

Hi Aris,

happy to "see" you! Smile
Luigi
Re: Does the database for these forums get backed up? [message #5797 is a reply to message #5783] Mon, 16 October 2006 17:13 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 15 October 2006 22:07

Sorry, Mirek, I've forgotten to send you my new phone numbers. I'll do that by PM.
Edit: Done.
Edit2:
BTW, FutureQuest do backups automatically and regularly (on nightly basis). But I had been already thinking that, as community and forums grow, some duplicate (or multi) backup would be needed. In order to save space and bandwidth one option is if I find a way to put backed-up mysqldb and other forum.gz files for someone to access from spare ftp accounts which I've got. Mirek and then maybe someone else downloads from him? Or opposite way? Other ideas?

Well, there is directly accessible FUD database dump - something I was trying to do since oct-1. The problem is that it does not seem to work - I suspect that futurequest cuts it when going for too long. Minor problem is that default path of backup is not accessible from the forum admin access.

I think we should try to make this work first. Then I ask for giving admin privileges to somebody else for backup and maybe also some ftp access (without limitations).

Mirek
Previous Topic: How many file attachments per post would you like?
Next Topic: Ideas on U++ website domain name...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:38:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01743 seconds