Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Creating a theme
Creating a theme [message #5870] Sat, 21 October 2006 16:36 Go to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of creating a Clearlooks theme. But I feel, with current documentation and the less-than self-explanatory source, I'm left at a lot of guess-work at the moment.

Should I wait?
Or can you hint me to sources of information, I might have missed.

Guido
Re: Creating a theme [message #5872 is a reply to message #5870] Sat, 21 October 2006 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Actually, I am working on "Human" right now, with "Clearlooks" being the next stop.

There is no chameleon docs because the whole interface is still in development...

Anyway, I think once "Human" is finished, it will serve as an example well to provide other themes.
Re: Creating a theme [message #5873 is a reply to message #5872] Sat, 21 October 2006 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 17:30

Actually, I am working on "Human" right now, with "Clearlooks" being the next stop.

There is no chameleon docs because the whole interface is still in development...

Anyway, I think once "Human" is finished, it will serve as an example well to provide other themes.

Good to hear Very Happy

Another aspect of theming are the icons.
Any plans to create sets for Gnome and KDE?
I thought for a while about automating the task by writing a script, that converts icons from /usr/share/icons for upp purposes.
I'm not sure though, if that is so trivial as it sounds.
Probably I need to write a little upp utility, that does the image conversion itself, or could imagemagick do that?

Guido

Re: Creating a theme [message #5875 is a reply to message #5873] Sun, 22 October 2006 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 13:02

luzr wrote on Sat, 21 October 2006 17:30

Good to hear Very Happy

Another aspect of theming are the icons.
Any plans to create sets for Gnome and KDE?
I thought for a while about automating the task by writing a script, that converts icons from /usr/share/icons for upp purposes.
I'm not sure though, if that is so trivial as it sounds.
Probably I need to write a little upp utility, that does the image conversion itself, or could imagemagick do that?

Guido

Actually, I was planning to just load them Smile I am not just quite sure how to find the proper path correctly. Anyway, for start, I think even fixed paths would do.... (Well, in fact, at the moment we are speaking just about 3 icons for Prompt message boxes..)

To tell the truth, I think that for next releases we really should attempt to use GTK theming API... (GTK is LGPL, dynamic linking to it would be OK).

Mirek
Re: Creating a theme [message #5877 is a reply to message #5875] Sun, 22 October 2006 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, now that I have the experience of the half way of re-creating the Human theme, I think it is time to investigate GTK+ theming API (because the process proved to be simple but slow...) Smile

What do you think, is it acceptable to link gtk .so directly (simpler) or should we rather aim for runtime linking?

(In either way, gtk development libraries will be necessary for U++ development...)

Mirek
Re: Creating a theme [message #5879 is a reply to message #5877] Sun, 22 October 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 22 October 2006 03:44

Well, now that I have the experience of the half way of re-creating the Human theme, I think it is time to investigate GTK+ theming API (because the process proved to be simple but slow...) Smile

What do you think, is it acceptable to link gtk .so directly (simpler) or should we rather aim for runtime linking?

(In either way, gtk development libraries will be necessary for U++ development...)

Mirek

Phew Mirek, that's a sudden turn of events.

It is certainly acceptable either way. I mean everyone outside the Qt-verse is doing it now.
But the increased startup-time and runtime overhead, would lose some of the special appeal of upp for me.

Me, I'd prefer to try the tedious route first. Theme authors are usually not in short supply. So the burden might not be on you as much as you fear.

But in ignorance of the process and possible limitations of hand-made themes, how can I really judge at this time?

Going the gtk-route, going the cairo-graphics route throughout follows, IMHO.

Guido
Re: Creating a theme [message #5880 is a reply to message #5879] Sun, 22 October 2006 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Sun, 22 October 2006 07:48

luzr wrote on Sun, 22 October 2006 03:44

Mirek

Phew Mirek, that's a sudden turn of events.

It is certainly acceptable either way. I mean everyone outside the Qt-verse is doing it now.
But the increased startup-time and runtime overhead, would lose some of the special appeal of upp for me.

Me, I'd prefer to try the tedious route first. Theme authors are usually not in short supply. So the burden might not be on you as much as you fear.

But in ignorance of the process and possible limitations of hand-made themes, how can I really judge at this time?

Going the gtk-route, going the cairo-graphics route throughout follows, IMHO.

Guido

Well, I have just strong feeling that we would end there anyway - until we use gtk+ themes directly (just like XP themes), we are not able to provide fully integrated look... which is what users demand.

I hope that linking to gtk.so alone will not affect U++ startup times too much. I will try first Smile I can also make the linking process fully dynamic using .dli (no gtk -> no theming, but apps still working).

Mirek

P.S.: Qt does it too Wink
Re: Creating a theme [message #5885 is a reply to message #5880] Mon, 23 October 2006 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

From the other side qt has bulit-in clear look theme - gtk is not used to paint it. Besides I feel gtk is not painting speed daemon.. of course try to use qt or gtk to paint their themes - maybe results will be very good. Personaly I think that is better to emulate default themes for both desktop though.
Re: Creating a theme [message #5894 is a reply to message #5885] Mon, 23 October 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 23 October 2006 02:55

From the other side qt has bulit-in clear look theme - gtk is not used to paint it.

Many Linux distros seem now to use GTK-QT theme for KDE, which is gtk theme that interfaces with Qt themes..

Quote:

Besides I feel gtk is not painting speed daemon..

That is what image cache was designed for Wink

Quote:

Personaly I think that is better to emulate default themes for both desktop though.

Maybe we will end with that. But I must say that I am quite happy with Chameleon in XP (just think about Vista and all troubles with creating new themes for it), so I think at least experiment is required here...

Frankly, after spending two days with Human, I would not want to repeat my ImageDes story - I spend 2 weeks fixing old ImageDes to work with new Image and 2 month later another 2 weeks with new ImageDes (rewritten from the scratch). I am afraid that story would repeate here, spending 2 weeks to recreate ClearLooks and Human and then another 2 weeks to get it working with GTK theming ...

Mirek
Re: Creating a theme [message #5897 is a reply to message #5894] Mon, 23 October 2006 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 23 October 2006 11:20

Maybe we will end with that. But I must say that I am quite happy with Chameleon in XP (just think about Vista and all troubles with creating new themes for it), so I think at least experiment is required here...

I'm happy with chamelon in xp too! But winapi is lightweight and it is the only one for the whole system. In linux there are many gui libs, each with its own theme system.
Quote:

Frankly, after spending two days with Human, I would not want to repeat my ImageDes story - I spend 2 weeks fixing old ImageDes to work with new Image and 2 month later another 2 weeks with new ImageDes (rewritten from the scratch). I am afraid that story would repeate here, spending 2 weeks to recreate ClearLooks and Human and then another 2 weeks to get it working with GTK theming ...
Mirek

What human is?? (macos theme??)
Re: Creating a theme [message #5900 is a reply to message #5897] Tue, 24 October 2006 02:20 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

I'm happy with chamelon in xp too! But winapi is lightweight and it is the only one for the whole system. In linux there are many gui libs, each with its own theme system.

Actually, this is not true. There is GTK and Qt, with world standartising around GTK+ 2.0 now. There is AFAIK no Linux distro that would come without any GTK+2.0 apps. Both Firefox and Openoffice do what I plan - use own widget toolkit, but GTK themes.

[/quote]
What human is?? (macos theme??)
[/quote]

Default Ubuntu theme. Based on clearlooks, but looks quite different.

Mirek
Previous Topic: qtconfig equivalent for upp
Next Topic: FileSel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:02:12 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01052 seconds