Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » grammar corrections
grammar corrections [message #482] Wed, 04 January 2006 21:22 Go to next message
hojtsy is currently offline  hojtsy
Experienced Member
Hi,
I would like to offer a minor contribution. Although I am not a native english speaker, I found some grammar errors and typos in the documentation. What would you say for me reading through the existing docs, rewording some parts to be more correct english, and sending back or posting the whole resulting docs somehow?
-Sandor
Re: grammar corrections [message #484 is a reply to message #482] Wed, 04 January 2006 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
That would be great.

I order to make it really useful, you should try to master Topic++, as that is the tool used to maintain "source" version of documentation.

Also, apply your changes to _recent_ snapshot (or even better, learn to sync uvs2 to be in sync with very latest development).

Then just post changed .tpp files here (or to cxl@ntllib.org).

Mirek
Re: grammar corrections [message #500 is a reply to message #482] Thu, 05 January 2006 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member

Hi

You may have noticed in the previous thread that I've been writing two help file topic++ docs on packages, assemblies and nests, which I'm still working on.

A little while ago, a person named Ivica wrote a few tutorials including for the HelloWorld example and a few other things. I really liked the style that Ivica used for these and I promised to correct the English (since I'm native English speaker) but not sure when I'll get time. If you want to start somewhere, the HelloWorld tutorial would be a good place to start, and possibly make a few small enhancements to the HelloWorld example at the same time.

I've tried to persuade Mirek to get some better organization for the docs. Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you how to get to the HelloWorld tutorial, for example, or where to find TopWindow reference. It seems like the only option for any kind of index at present is the "help index" page, which you get directly to if you click on the pink circle with question mark in TheIDE. If it were my decision, this index would be expanded with links to all the tutorials, and to the two articles I have written on packages. Probably tutorials should have their own index page, linked to from the main index page. Similarly, the main index page could have a link to another index page that listed links to all the U++ classes/ packages/ widgets whatever so that, for example, the TopWindow reference could be found quickly.

In the zip file I posted in the other thread, you'll see a file called IntroductionToUPP$en-us.tpp - my idea for this page was to give people new to U++ a rapid introduction as briefly as possible so as to get started quickly, but it needs more work and there's a whole topic to write on using TheIDE main window itself - what all the buttons and menus mean etc. (some of which is described in various other places) - so feel free to add to any of these things Smile

A uniform style for the docs would be good too, but I like colour so I chose bronze for the sub-headings in the two articles I wrote - but this style doesn't appear anywhere else.

There isn't a huge amount to know about Topic++. One thing - if you want to create a link, select/highlight the text, then click in the edit box in the third line from the top - you'll get a dialog that lets you select a topic to link to.

Graeme
Re: grammar corrections [message #503 is a reply to message #500] Thu, 05 January 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 21:25

I've tried to persuade Mirek to get some better organization for the docs. Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you how to get to the HelloWorld tutorial, for example, or where to find TopWindow reference. It seems like the only option for any kind of index at present is the "help index" page, which you get directly to if you click on the pink circle with question mark in TheIDE. If it were my decision, this index would be expanded with links to all the tutorials, and to the two articles I have written on packages. Probably tutorials should have their own

Expanding it to all library tutorials is possible, but I do not see that as a good idea - that help index page is about TheIDE, not about the library. Library should probably be documented via that "Topic++ browser" with tree...

Two articles you have written about packages are already linked there.
Re: grammar corrections [message #507 is a reply to message #484] Thu, 05 January 2006 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 15:52

Also, apply your changes to _recent_ snapshot (or even better, learn to sync uvs2 to be in sync with very latest development).

I compiled and started Uvs2 but don't know how to configure or use. I already used cvs and clearcase so I am not a beginner to versioning systems.
Re: grammar corrections [message #508 is a reply to message #507] Fri, 06 January 2006 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
hojtsy wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:32

luzr wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 15:52

I compiled and started Uvs2 but don't know how to configure or use. I already used cvs and clearcase so I am not a beginner to versioning systems.

I have sent you some files via private message
Re: grammar corrections [message #542 is a reply to message #482] Sun, 08 January 2006 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I downloaded the latest sources from uvs2. Can I use the last offically released topic++ to edit the newest files, or a new one should be compiled from source?
Re: grammar corrections [message #543 is a reply to message #542] Sun, 08 January 2006 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
There was now change in Topic++ since 511 - means no need to compile.

(OTOH, new sources have some nice improvements, so you might want to compile TheIDE just because of them... at least, you would test them Smile
Re: grammar corrections [message #546 is a reply to message #543] Sun, 08 January 2006 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I started the corrections. Here is the first first file I modified: the docs for AIndex. There were hunderds of places where "the", "a", "an" was missing, and approx 20 other various grammar errors, typos, etc. I don't know if you want to review the changes. I did not try to announce the changes back to the uvs server yet. Should I?
See attached file.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2006 23:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: grammar corrections [message #547 is a reply to message #546] Sun, 08 January 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Thank you.

Current "limited-public" policy of uvs2 server is "read-only". Please, post here.
Re: grammar corrections [message #595 is a reply to message #482] Sun, 15 January 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Next round of corrections include:
algo$en-us.tpp
AMap$en-us.tpp
Any$en-us.tpp
Array$en-us.tpp
Re: grammar corrections [message #596 is a reply to message #595] Sun, 15 January 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Thanks. They in the uppsrc now...

Keep on! Smile

Mirek
Re: grammar corrections [message #599 is a reply to message #482] Tue, 17 January 2006 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Gaining some speed...
Array$en-us.tpp (updated)
ArrayIndex$en-us.tpp
ArrayMap$en-us.tpp
BiArray$en-us.tpp
BiVector$en-us.tpp
Buffer$en-us.tpp
Callbacks$en-us.tpp
Color$en-us.tpp
Configuration$en-us.tpp
CParser$en-us.tpp
DateFmt$en-us.tpp
i18n$en-us.tpp
Re: grammar corrections [message #604 is a reply to message #599] Tue, 17 January 2006 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Thanks! (in uppsrc now)
Re: grammar corrections [message #732 is a reply to message #604] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Next round is:
Indext$en-us.tpp
ModularSerialization$en-us.tpp
Moveable$en-us.tpp
NTL$en-us.tpp
NTLvsSTL$en-us.tpp
One$en-us.tpp
Overview$en-us.tpp
pick_$en-us.tpp
PtePtr$en-us.tpp
Segtor$en-us.tpp
SerializationUtils$en-us.tpp

One of the interesting errors was a code bug inside the documentation Razz Here is the bad version:
class SimpleString {
	char *text;
public:
	SimpleString(const char *txt) {
		text = new char[strlen(txt)];
		strcpy(text, txt);
	}
	SimpleString(const SimpleString& s) {
		text = new char[strlen(s.text)];
		strcpy(text, s.text);
	}
	void operator=(const SimpleString& s) {
		delete[] text;
		text = new char[strlen(s.text)];
		strcpy(text, s.text);		
	}
	SimpleString() {
		delete[] text;
	}
};
Can you spot the error? Razz
Re: grammar corrections [message #733 is a reply to message #732] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ooops Smile Ending zero was always my weak point...

Thanks for corrections!

Mirek
Re: grammar corrections [message #734 is a reply to message #732] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
BTW, is it my fault or you have mixed two groups into single zip file?

Mirek
Re: grammar corrections [message #735 is a reply to message #734] Sun, 29 January 2006 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
All of this files are going to uppsrc/Core/src.tpp. What do you mean by two groups?
Re: grammar corrections [message #740 is a reply to message #735] Mon, 30 January 2006 11:34 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Some of them in fact belong to srcdoc ("src" should be just items related and linked to code, "srcdoc" should contain other code-related documents). Topics like "NTL overview" should be in srcdoc.

Now of course I am not sure whether that is my mistake.

...oops, it might even be some obscure uvs2 bug. E.g. topic "Overview$en-us" was removed from the tree on 6/2005 (it was moved to srcdoc as "NTL$en-us"). Did it happen that the file was downloaded to your Core/src.tpp anyway? (I guess, it must have been the latest version...)

Mirek
Previous Topic: Terminology
Next Topic: documentation and uvs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:46:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01621 seconds