Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse
Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7090] Wed, 13 December 2006 15:12 Go to next message
filipenf is currently offline  filipenf
Promising Member
Hello, I use eclipse to develop my applications, and currently I need to create a GUI for an already existing application.
The GUI is very simple, involving only 1 or 2 screens, and it will call the already existing code.

But I'm trying to compile a simple application inside the Eclipse CDT, and it is pointing hundreds of errors ( that doesn't happens when I compile inside TheID ).

The majority of errors are in the MKeys.h file stating 'K_***' was not declared in this scope and "enumerator value for 'K_SHIFT_***' not integer constant".

In my eclipse project I've configured to include the uppsrc directory.

Does anybody knows what I need to do to make eclipse to compile a upp application?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7091 is a reply to message #7090] Wed, 13 December 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
If you don't want to waste your time, the easiest solution would be importing your Eclipse project into TheIDE or create a library from that and link the U++ project against that library.
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7092 is a reply to message #7091] Wed, 13 December 2006 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Sad Not good news....

There's no way to create a UPP application from scratch ( i.e. only with vi ) ?

Thanks
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7095 is a reply to message #7092] Wed, 13 December 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Just create a new project with TheIDE, copy all of your sources into the directory of the new project.
In TheIDE right click in the file-list on the left side and choose Insert package directory file(s).
Setup libraries, include paths and other options in Package Organizer (right click!).
Compile.
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7096 is a reply to message #7095] Wed, 13 December 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
But the problem is there: I want to use ultimate++ without using theIDE.

I've been programing on Eclipse/CDT for almost 2 years, I've developed plugins to improve the productivity, I use external plugins to connect to subversion repositories inside eclipse IDE and I don't want to lose this.

TheIDE is a very good programming envorionment ( maybe better than eclipse ) but currently I can't leave all behind and change my IDE.

If you search on the web you'll find tips of how to create applications with wxWidgets+Eclipse, I think that maybe a good "marketing" to make something like this to UPP also since there's a great number of people using eclipse and surely they may have reasons to not change their IDE.

Look, if you start making the compilation on eclipse more simple in a near future we can see eclipse plugins to draw the UI inside eclipse.

I think that a little tutorial of how to compile UPP applications inside Eclipse+CDT would be very helpfull.

Thanks...
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7097 is a reply to message #7096] Wed, 13 December 2006 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
filipenf wrote on Wed, 13 December 2006 15:10

But the problem is there: I want to use ultimate++ without using theIDE.

I've been programing on Eclipse/CDT for almost 2 years, I've developed plugins to improve the productivity, I use external plugins to connect to subversion repositories inside eclipse IDE and I don't want to lose this.

TheIDE is a very good programming envorionment ( maybe better than eclipse ) but currently I can't leave all behind and change my IDE.

If you search on the web you'll find tips of how to create applications with wxWidgets+Eclipse, I think that maybe a good "marketing" to make something like this to UPP also since there's a great number of people using eclipse and surely they may have reasons to not change their IDE.

Look, if you start making the compilation on eclipse more simple in a near future we can see eclipse plugins to draw the UI inside eclipse.

I think that a little tutorial of how to compile UPP applications inside Eclipse+CDT would be very helpfull.

Thanks...

Yes.. but nobody tried so far Wink

Please, look into TheIDE help, there is description of "umk" utility (in fact, it is just commandline mode of TheIDE, in Linux it is even identical to ide). Do you think it could be useful for eclipse?

Mirek
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7103 is a reply to message #7096] Wed, 13 December 2006 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Quote:

but currently I can't leave all behind and change my IDE.

If you want to have results very quickly, than change your current project to a library and create a small U++ app using that library.

BTW, before U++, I worked with Borland GUI tools for 5-6 years, with gvim and autotools for years, Eclipse for about 6 months.
I changed to TheIDE and U++ simply because I was not able find anything, that would be more productive.

You know, I have no time to wait to that slow compilations, and don't want to use unefficient, purely designed, but overenginiered class libraries.

So I switched, and now I compile 5x faster than any other C++ programmers and use an efficient class library more efficient, than any other class libraries.
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7113 is a reply to message #7103] Thu, 14 December 2006 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I agree with you in some points and disagree in others.

Eclipse is very good IDE, not only for C/C++ but for another languages. It have it's disadvantages, it's slow, consumes a lot of memory, and propably have others.

The point here is not eclipse itself nor vim or emacs, the problem isn't even my problem to compile my program with a GUI from UPP, I can solve my problem from several ways like creating the library like you said.

But what I'm trying to tell you is that some programmers that are begining with UPP ( like me ) may be intimidated with the need to use all the platform.

luzr has commented that nobody has tried so far, but maybe that many people has 1-abandoned eclipse to use theIDE or 2-abandoned theIDE to use eclipse with other toolkits, we can't know what happend.

So, I think my problem is minor, I can solve it quite easy but my concern it's with the future ways of U++.

How I've said before I use subversion plugins inside eclipse that makes easy to commit/compare versions/etc with the repository, this is a feature that is shared by java and c++ programmers of eclipse, and it's a very good tool.

Eclipse also haves UML-modeling tools, refactoring, integrated debugging, etc.

By the way I'll look to luzr suggestion to use the "umk" tool.

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7117 is a reply to message #7113] Thu, 14 December 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
filipenf wrote on Thu, 14 December 2006 05:35

But what I'm trying to tell you is that some programmers that are begining with UPP ( like me ) may be intimidated with the need to use all the platform.

Well, this problem is well known and I agree.

The little problem is that on the way, we started to tweak build process here and there, added those GUI and icon designers... etc. Just too concentrated on making the development process simple and effective, while compatibility with other tools was less and less important over the time as TheIDE was becoming more and more powerful.

Anyway, at this moment, I really see only two solutions:

- umk

- library

Both share the trouble of missing GUI (and icon) designers of TheIDE. Maybe I will make a standalone applications for that, which will be quite funny, because that is how things started 7 years ago - separate .lay designed used with Visual C++ 6.0 Studio... Smile

What classifies a program to become eclipse plugin? Smile

Quote:

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

I have no troubles understanding what you want to say => your English is perfect.

Mirek
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7147 is a reply to message #7117] Fri, 15 December 2006 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 14 December 2006 12:36

Well, this problem is well known and I agree.

Only to finish, I think that this maybe considered as a 'extra feature' of UPP, but I know that you must have much more work to do on that.

I'll be trying to migrate all my base code to UPP, maybe lately I can contribute creating code for subversion syncronization inside ( or outside ) theIDE Razz

Quote:

I have no troubles understanding what you want to say => your English is perfect.

Thanks, but my English is still very limited...
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7150 is a reply to message #7147] Fri, 15 December 2006 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
One more comment.

I'm trying to compile a simple program that uses a external library to access a website. This is a very good library to work with TCP/IP ( www.alhem.net/Sockets ) it's multi-platform, object-oriented and very good library.

When I try to compile this library inside TheIDE I get several errors, I've included the directories and all seems OK but it doesn't compile.
I got the following error messages:

In file included from C:\upp\MyApps\Test\main.cpp:3:
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:63: error: expected `)' before '*' token
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:67: error: `StdLog' is not a type
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:67: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `log' with no type
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:72: error: variable or field `RegStdLog' declared void
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:72: error: expected `;' before '(' token
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:187: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `StdLog' with no type
E:/include/Sockets/SocketHandler.h:187: error: expected `;' before '*' token

The same code was compiled by gcc using it's own makefile without no problems.
I couldn't see any problem with this... line of SocketHandler.h contains the following constructor declaration:

SocketHandler(StdLog *log = NULL);

Line 67 is also using StdLog, that class is defined on the file StdLog.h that is included in this file.

Does anyone have a tip for a solution to this ?

Thanks
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7151 is a reply to message #7150] Fri, 15 December 2006 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I think, StdLog declaration is missing at that point. Are you sure is it included?

Or there can be some #ifdef or something similar?
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7158 is a reply to message #7151] Sat, 16 December 2006 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Yes the strucure is this:

* My source includes <SocketHandler.h>.

* SocketHandler.h includes <StdLog.h>

* StdLog.h is in the same directory of SocketHandler

* The directory where this files are is on the include list

* There are no ifdefs avoiding the inclusion nor the compilation of the class StdLog.

It seems to me that gcc isn't compiling the StdLog class. Don't know why.

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7168 is a reply to message #7158] Sun, 17 December 2006 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Name clash. There is StdLog function in U++.

Mirek
Re: Compiling a U++ Program with eclipse [message #7204 is a reply to message #7168] Mon, 18 December 2006 12:56 Go to previous message
Promising Member
OK, I'll try to use it as a separate namespace.
Previous Topic: OpenMoko
Next Topic: MingW/GCC 4.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:02:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01251 seconds