Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Start a new project on Ultimate++?
icon5.gif  Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7127] Fri, 15 December 2006 09:49 Go to next message
Wolferl2 is currently offline  Wolferl2
Dear community,

I plan a new project that should run on PC and (in the future) on the Mac. The software is rather simple, the user should specify some settings and the result is a sheet of paper that has to be printed or should be displayed as a preview.
I have done something similar before (see www.boenninghausen.de) for both the PC and the Mac - including Mac OS 8/9 Wink.
The old project is developed twice, one version for the PC with Visual C++ and MFC, the other for the Mac is done with RealBasic. So I have twice the support, and a lot of questions - why is this better on the PC than on the Mac and vice versa.
So what I need is a way to make crossplattform development.

- Java programs don’t look that good (to my opinion)
- Java/SWT is no real crossplattform development, (program once, test and debug anywhere)
- RealBasic is not that nice, so I really would like to stop the old project
- QT is too expensive

So Ultimate++ would be a good choice.

My questions now:

Is there a chance to start a new project that would run within 12 months on the Mac?

Can I print in a nice way in Ultimate++ (beside from drawing lines in absolute printer coordinates)?

Is the Array-Control extensible, so that I can add text-completion into the input cells of the grid?

Can I format the Array Control, so that it looks nice (no cell borders, background colors, frames, font size e.g.)

Can I say "dear ArrayControl, please print yourself on the printer and be sure all your content fits on 1 page wide and 2 pages tall" ?

I would really like to start using a new UI Framework and I hope all my needs can be done with Ultimate++

Best wishes

Wolfgang Hennig
Re: Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7128 is a reply to message #7127] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Hello Wofgang,

Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 09:49

So Ultimate++ would be a good choice.

it is a good choice Wink

Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 09:49

Is there a chance to start a new project that would run within 12 months on the Mac?

Can I print in a nice way in Ultimate++ (beside from drawing lines in absolute printer coordinates)?

Is the Array-Control extensible, so that I can add text-completion into the input cells of the grid?

Can I format the Array Control, so that it looks nice (no cell borders, background colors, frames, font size e.g.)

Can I say "dear ArrayControl, please print yourself on the printer and be sure all your content fits on 1 page wide and 2 pages tall" ?

I would really like to start using a new UI Framework and I hope all my needs can be done with Ultimate++

Wether U++ will fully support MacOs within 12 month i realy don't know, but i guess luzr will tell you.

I haven't done any printing with u++ before but i do know there is a pdf-printing function, maybee that could help you with your decission.

The ArrayCtrl is nice, but uno wrote a nice grid control which is worth a look at!
http://dgs.pac.pl/dgs.php?page=upp&sub=grid

Bas
Re: Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7129 is a reply to message #7127] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 03:49

Dear community,

yes.

Quote:

yes. ArrayCtrl uses standard input controls which can be extented in any way.

Quote:

yes.

Quote:

don't know that

Quote:

Welcome on board! We hope that too Wink
Re: Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7130 is a reply to message #7127] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 03:49

It is the next big thing. I would like to say "yes". OTOH, honestly according to one year old roadmap, it should have been done 5 months back... Smile

So all I can say is that we will start development I/2007. Meanwhile, it seems that U++ can run quite well as X11 app in MacOS (this is already tested).

Quote:

Well, depends what you mean by "nice". But yes, my U++ apps do a lot of printing, mostly database reports.

Quote:

Wrong question. You put regular widgets into cells. So the thing you want to do is to create your widgets with text completion. (Which reminds me to put text completion on ToDo list Wink

Quote:

You have the full control over the cell appearance using the Display class. For simple cases (like colors and font size) you can also use AttrText values.

Quote:

No. But you can write a 10 lines of code to do that. OK, not sure how "be sure all your content fits" will work when number of ArrayCtrl lines is variable, but generally, printing is simple.

Mirek
Re: Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7132 is a reply to message #7130] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolferl2 is currently offline  Wolferl2
Dear community,

thanks a lot for your comments - this sounds really good. I hope I find the time after Christmas to start the project.

And I will post all my questions here - the response time is really great. And of course I will be a good tester for MacOS X!

Best wishes

Wolfgang
Re: Start a new project on Ultimate++? [message #7134 is a reply to message #7132] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:52 Go to previous message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
Hello Wolfgang,
Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 10:48

thanks a lot for your comments - this sounds really good.

you are welcome.

Wolferl2 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 10:48

I hope I find the time after Christmas to start the project.
And I will post all my questions here - the response time is really great. And of course I will be a good tester for MacOS X!

We hope so, too.
A MacOS tester ... is there a MacOS maintainer already? Wink

Bas
Previous Topic: upp and boost - t_
Next Topic: new package and forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:09:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02481 seconds