Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 2007.1beta2 released
Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7802] Tue, 23 January 2007 09:01 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

* Default charset is now CHARSET_UTF8
+ DateTimeCtrl and Calendar can now be used in layout editor
+ Core tutorial
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7810 is a reply to message #7802] Tue, 23 January 2007 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
Chinese font name now worksindex.php?t=getfile&id=439&private=0
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7821 is a reply to message #7802] Wed, 24 January 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member

- since chameleon refactoring, application font is grey instead of solid black.
- the xfce4 theme-engine works with or without the clearlooks work around.
- I can't create build methods: typing "GUI MT SHARED" results in an empty combo box after closing the dialog. I install upp sources in /usr/local only now, if that matters
- the debian package doesn't ever work on debian, so please include "ubuntu" in the package name, to save people from wasting time

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7822 is a reply to message #7821] Wed, 24 January 2007 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Thanks for reporting troubles (and apologies for producing them...)

guido wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 12:10

- since chameleon refactoring, application font is grey instead of solid black.

In specific theme or for all themes?

Quote:

- the xfce4 theme-engine works with or without the clearlooks work around.

Do not quite understand this. What is "xfce4 theme-engine"?

Does this mean a bug in U++?

Quote:

- I can't create build methods: typing "GUI MT SHARED" results in an empty combo box after closing the dialog.

Main configuration? (There is no "GUI MT SHARED" in build method).

BTW, some more info about your setup?

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7823 is a reply to message #7822] Wed, 24 January 2007 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

In specific theme or for all themes?

With clearlooks and xfce4.

Quote:

Do not quite understand this. What is "xfce4 theme-engine"?

Does this mean a bug in U++?

No, sorry. xfce4 desktop comes with a gtk theme-engine of its own. Wanted to highlight, the problem with menu color looks more and more like a bug in clearlooks theme-engine.

Quote:

Yeah, used the wrong name.
The main configuration forgets newly created configs immediately after the dialog is closed. The toolbar textbox is then empty. When pressing the build button, it falls back to "GUI".
I can launch theide-605 and then it works again. I successfully built theide-2007-b2 with it.
My guess is that it tries to write to a file under /usr/local and silently fails, when it can't due to file permissions. But just a guess.

Quote:

BTW, some more info about your setup?

Debian unstable, no GNOME desktop or KDE desktop or control-center installed, only the libraries to run the productivity apps.
Where does upp get the text color, and why would it default to grey instead of black?

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7824 is a reply to message #7821] Wed, 24 January 2007 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fallingdutch is currently offline  fallingdutch
Experienced Member
guido wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 18:10

- the debian package doesn't ever work on debian, so please include "ubuntu" in the package name, to save people from wasting time

sounds strange to me ... what does not work?
does theide run?
are the sources copied to the right place (/usr/share/upp)? Please check the /usr/share/upp/uppsrc/ide/version.h file if it states "2007.1beta2" it is the current one
what arch are you running on i386 or amd64 or anything else?

Bas

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2007 23:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7825 is a reply to message #7824] Wed, 24 January 2007 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 22:56

guido wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 18:10

sounds strange to me ... what does not work? does theide run?

Bas

ubuntu uses glibc-2.4, debian unstable glibc-2.3.6.
any new version of glibc adds new symbols, which binaries come to depend on, when compiled against. binaries compiled with older glibc work on newer glibc, the other way around: not. There are tricks around it employed by apbuild from the autopackage project. Or the LSB sandbox. Of course this is all Linux style let's break ABIs twice a day before breakfast bollocks, proper Unices do not suffer from.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7826 is a reply to message #7825] Thu, 25 January 2007 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

I might as well add the exact linker error:

guido@Sid:~/upp_2007.1beta2_i386/data/bin$ ldd theide
./theide: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./theide)

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7827 is a reply to message #7823] Thu, 25 January 2007 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, used the wrong name.
The main configuration forgets newly created configs immediately after the dialog is closed. The toolbar textbox is then empty. When pressing the build button, it falls back to "GUI".
I can launch theide-605 and then it works again. I successfully built theide-2007-b2 with it.
My guess is that it tries to write to a file under /usr/local and silently fails, when it can't due to file permissions. But just a guess.

Well, that sounds reasonable explanation. It gets stored to the "package description" file which is inside package directory.

So if you have tried to modify main config of some package inside /usr/local, it had to fail.

Quote:

Where does upp get the text color, and why would it default to grey instead of black?

Unfortunately, I am afraid I have a clue...

The problem is that there is no function available to get that individual color in Gtk API - you have to retrieve the pointer to the whole structure. Current U++ is designed to avoid including any Gtk headers, so we have to recreate the structure (see CtrlLib/ChGtk.cpp, beginning of file... Sad ). If layout changes between Gtk versions, we are in trouble...

Apparent solution is to start including gtk headers. But I wanted to try first....
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7828 is a reply to message #7827] Thu, 25 January 2007 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

I stopped copying sources to user directory, when I accidentally modified files all the time and needed to recover from the tarball. If the editor had undo feature on the other hand... Very Happy

But more importantly, it always bothered me I had to add and set the same package config again and again for each package. Would really be helpfull, if that could be globally synced as an option. At least theide should collect and list all the package configs in use, to pick from.

About the gtk thing, if those data structures are not part of the stable ABI, they can not be used by chameleon, I'm afraid.
Can't get it from a bitmap like you do with some other colors?

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7829 is a reply to message #7826] Thu, 25 January 2007 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 00:10

./theide: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./theide)

Guido

have build a new one - should work on debian testing and following

could you please check it:
http://www.fallingdutch.de/media/theide

thank you,
Bas
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7830 is a reply to message #7828] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 01:30

I stopped copying sources to user directory, when I accidentally modified files all the time and needed to recover from the tarball. If the editor had undo feature on the other hand... Very Happy

Ctrl+Z does undo Wink

Bas
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7832 is a reply to message #7830] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 11:02

guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 01:30

Ctrl+Z does undo Wink

Bas

So why didn't you add it to the menu Rolling Eyes

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7833 is a reply to message #7832] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
just asked Mirek to add it to the menu Smile

did you try the new version, Guido?

Bas
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7834 is a reply to message #7829] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fallingdutch wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 10:48

guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 00:10

Guido

have build a new one - should work on debian testing and following

could you please check it:
http://www.fallingdutch.de/media/theide

thank you,
Bas

Yes, that works. Great, thank you!

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7835 is a reply to message #7834] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 11:55

Yes, that works. Great, thank you!
Guido

You are welcome,

will create the upcoming packages that way,
Bas
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7837 is a reply to message #7827] Thu, 25 January 2007 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Quote:

The problem is that there is no function available to get that individual color in Gtk API - you have to retrieve the pointer to the whole structure. Current U++ is designed to avoid including any Gtk headers, so we have to recreate the structure (see CtrlLib/ChGtk.cpp, beginning of file... Sad ). If layout changes between Gtk versions, we are in trouble...

Tried to get the hang of it last night.
So I started to replace some pointer arithmetics with proper data structures, to make things a bit less obfuscated.
Didn't understand how you calculated the style offset, as the data we are interested in starts right at offset 0.
'Twas late at night. For lack of familiarity with the upp::Draw properties and chameleon properties (paper,face ...) I didn't get farther than this:

struct G_color { dword _; word r, g, b; };

enum { G_STATE_NORMAL, G_STATE_ACTIVE, G_STATE_PRELIGHT, G_STATE_SELECTED, G_STATE_INSENSITIVE };

// G_STATE_NORMAL -> CTRL_NORMAL
// G_STATE_PRELIGHT -> CTRL_HOT 
// G_STATE_ACTIVE -> CTRL_PRESSED
// G_STATE_SELECTED -> ??
// G_STATE_INSENSITIVE -> CTRL_DISABLED

struct G_style {
  G_Color fg[5];
  G_Color bg[5];
  G_Color light[5];
  G_Color dark[5];
  G_Color mid[5];
  G_Color text[5];
  G_Color base[5];
  G_Color text_aa[5];		/* Halfway between text/base */

G_Color black;
  G_Color white;
};

I concluded, if I knew how things mapped to upp, I could have done it. But I must have overlooked something, if you couldn't get it done, I suppose.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7838 is a reply to message #7832] Thu, 25 January 2007 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 05:42

So why didn't you add it to the menu Rolling Eyes

Guido

OK, it is there now Wink

However, "menu/toolbar in a row" option grew toolbar a bit too wide (with two more icons), so I have decided to not present Edit icons (undo/redo/copy/paste/cut) in toolbar when option is active. In fact, on my notebook with 1024 wide screen it was already too wide anyway, so that is one more problem solved. (I think most people do not use toolbar buttons for copy/cut/paste anyway).

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7839 is a reply to message #7837] Thu, 25 January 2007 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 06:10

Didn't understand how you calculated the style offset, as the data we are interested in starts right at offset 0.

I am afraid this is not correct. The structure we are interested in is GtkStyle. While API docs list is as if offset is 0, in .h there is:

struct _GtkStyle
{
  GObject parent_instance;

/*< public >*/

GdkColor fg[5];
  GdkColor bg[5];
  GdkColor light[5];
  GdkColor dark[5];
  GdkColor mid[5];
  GdkColor text[5];
  GdkColor base[5];
  GdkColor text_aa[5];		/* Halfway between text/base */

GdkColor black;
  GdkColor white;
  PangoFontDescription *font_desc;

gint xthickness;
  gint ythickness;

GdkGC *fg_gc[5];
  GdkGC *bg_gc[5];
  GdkGC *light_gc[5];
  GdkGC *dark_gc[5];
  GdkGC *mid_gc[5];
  GdkGC *text_gc[5];
  GdkGC *base_gc[5];
  GdkGC *text_aa_gc[5];
  GdkGC *black_gc;
  GdkGC *white_gc;

GdkPixmap *bg_pixmap[5];

/*< private >*/

gint attach_count;

gint depth;
  GdkColormap *colormap;
  GdkFont *private_font;
  PangoFontDescription *private_font_desc; /* Font description for style->private_font or %NULL */

/* the RcStyle from which this style was created */
  GtkRcStyle	 *rc_style;

GSList	 *styles;	  /* of type GtkStyle* */
  GArray	 *property_cache;
  GSList         *icon_factories; /* of type GtkIconFactory* */
};

I agree that introducing fixed offset is too fragile solution. I am afraid that only correct way is to include gtk headers. Very unhappy about that...

(Alternative solution would be to check gtk version and have table of offsets.... but that is quite fragile as well).

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1beta2 released [message #7849 is a reply to message #7802] Fri, 26 January 2007 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

Compiles ide on OsX without any troubles (Universal) and running 701b2 ide compiles my client without troubles.

For those wanting to do Universal, the "ar" in OsX is the Gnu ar and can not handle fat files. One could change upp to use "libtool files.o -o output", but I simply replaced "ar" with an sh script that calls libtool instead.

The rest works fine after setting Build Envrionment, and hacking in Link Options. (go on! add link options to Build Environment!) Smile

Another note, work OsX lease was up, so the dual PPC was replaced with dual Intel. But I still have access to make sure PPC runs.

Previous Topic: Forum email trouble....
Next Topic: Upp 2007.2rc1 released
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:29:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01316 seconds