FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » New UPT: Standard Application
New UPT: Standard Application [message #8210] Mon, 19 February 2007 17:17 Go to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
Although each application is different, many share a common look and feel.

That is why I have written a new UPT (Ultimate++ package (or "project") template) which provides most of the usual GUI features.

When you use this UPT - called "Standard Application" - you get:

01 configuration persistence: a text or binary configuration file, to your liking
02 a splash screen
03 an application icon (even an "external" icon for Windows)
04 a menu with hot key processing and status line description , featuring - among other things -
04 - an "International" item working "on the fly" (currently English and German)
04 - a configuration "tab box"
05 a tool bar featuring public Tango icons with balloon tips
06 a view with a main parent control featuring a context (or "local") menu
07 a status bar featuring menu item description
08 a multi-language help system
09 an about box
10 menu-independent hot key processing

The configuration file pays heed to size and position of the top window, the language, whether the splash screen is active, and whether the configuration should be restored at all.

The help system is more a sample than a template. In principle it works well. But the internal links depend on the current naming of the directory and the application. Thus, they cannot be correctly constructed by a UPT. So, the links have to be adjusted manually. But that should not be a problem as you have to write the help pages by yourself, anyway.

Of course the application created by the UPT is just a frame or a base - but a fully working one.

To use the UPT, put it into your MyApps directory along with the StdAppUPT_16.ico file.

As an encore you get UPP_Logos.iml which contains the famous Ultimate++ logo in 22 different sizes (the image number means per cent), ready to be used by your applications.

Enjoy.

Werner
Re: New UPT: Standard Application [message #8227 is a reply to message #8210] Wed, 21 February 2007 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, this is *huge* Smile

Anyway, I am afraid there is as problem with application icon, something we will have to resolve together - .ico is missing.

The solution should exploit export from .iml I think. Also, I should add immediate export from .iml after the package is created (because right now, you have to save .iml to get icon exported).

Mirek
Re: New UPT: Standard Application [message #8228 is a reply to message #8227] Wed, 21 February 2007 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 21 February 2007 08:56

Anyway, I am afraid there is as problem with application icon, something we will have to resolve together - .ico is missing.

The solution should exploit export from .iml I think. Also, I should add immediate export from .iml after the package is created (because right now, you have to save .iml to get icon exported).

Mirek

Yes. The size is mainly generated by the graphic files. But the size doesn't seem to cause any problem.

As far as the .ico file is concerned, I'm not sure whether I see the problem. For me the package works well and my .ico file, which is just a sample, is included in the .zip file.

What doesn't work, the icon at the top left corner of the application window or the application icon in a directory?

(Unfortunately I'm far away from my own computer, so currently I can't do any testing.)

Werner

Re: New UPT: Standard Application [message #8229 is a reply to message #8228] Wed, 21 February 2007 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Werner wrote on Wed, 21 February 2007 10:50

luzr wrote on Wed, 21 February 2007 08:56

Mirek

Yes. The size is mainly generated by the graphic files. But the size doesn't seem to cause any problem.

As far as the .ico file is concerned, I'm not sure whether I see the problem. For me the package works well and my .ico file, which is just a sample, is included in the .zip file.

What doesn't work, the icon at the top left corner of the application window or the application icon in a directory?

(Unfortunately I'm far away from my own computer, so currently I can't do any testing.)

Werner

Shocked Strange! To test the package I cleaned my building environment, downloaded the package from the forum, and "installed" it, putting both the .upt-file and the .ico-file in my MyApps-directory, i. e. 1 directory above the application directory. Then I used the UPT to construct the source files in that application directory. Afterwards I built the application using MSC8, MinGW 3.42, and MinGW 4.1.1, all both in debug and release mode. Surprised No problems at all. Icons on the top left corner of the application window, in the tray, and in the output directory. Surprised

So, currently I can't reproduce the problem. Confused

Werner
Template window is too short [message #8332 is a reply to message #8229] Sat, 03 March 2007 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I noticed that since template contains many parameters, the template window is too short in height to contain all of them, so OK and Cancel buttons get covered bay labels. I'm using Xubuntu GTK (is it the same also with upp style)

Ciao,
David
Re: Template window is too short [message #8367 is a reply to message #8332] Mon, 05 March 2007 20:11 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
waxblood wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 10:26

I noticed that since template contains many parameters, the template window is too short in height to contain all of them, so OK and Cancel buttons get covered bay labels. I'm using Xubuntu GTK (is it the same also with upp style)

Ciao,
David

I know. So far, I haven't had the time to suggest the needed layout changes to Mirek.

Meanwhile just enlarge the window.

Sorry.

Werner
Previous Topic: ValueMap, XmlRpc and RpcTest
Next Topic: Simple plugin framework
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:17:44 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01488 seconds